Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Mods PeacefulWarrior lurk liking.

Enjoy your flan
The procedure is to actually report your own post and identify the poster, so that the mod can take him out.

Rather pathetic that we have to do this.

Passive trolling by liking posts is the Port Adelaide way of a coward punch.

The good news is that we as a club (hopefully) learnt a lot from tonight.
  1. Our midfield is simply not good enough. Most be priority number 1,2,3 and 4 for drafting and recruiting. Forget anything else.
  2. ROB is still a rubbish ruck. The fact we have no plan to replace him is reason enough that Reid should be sacked.
  3. Our coaches are shithouse. When the opposition have no good tall defenders, putting all your tall forwards next to each other at every contest is just dumb. Isolate them you morons.
  4. Our coaches are shithouse. When the opposition have no good tall defenders, you want to get the ball in quickly so that they can't get their players back in time to help cover. Playing a slow chipping game style is dumb.
  5. Our coaches are shithouse. I've been saying for 12 months that Dawson is no good resting up forward. He's just not a forward. He is however a competition best half back. So maybe, just maybe, he plays half back, then goes on ball, then to half back. Why you would choose to limit the impact of your best player is beyond me. Utter stupidity.
  6. Our coaches are shithouse. Port love to get the ball forward of the contest for their clearances. Great that we let them do it all game. Idiots.
  7. Within 5 minutes it was clear we needed to run with Butters who already had 20 disposals. But nah, let's let him run around unchecked. Genius!
  8. Our coaches are shithouse. Murphy. Enough said.
  9. Our coaches are shithouse. At half time Nicks talked about how he wanted a slow game style. He's learnt nothing from rounds 1-4 this year and will enter next season with the same plan.
  10. Our coaches are shithouse. We can all see the decline in Laird. He's cooked. He panics with ball in hand. Throws it. Gives away dumb free kicks. He's an absolute liability. So will only play another 100 games for us.
  11. Our board is shithouse. If they couldn't watch and listen to Roo's comments all night and not see that he's the problem, then they are all f@#$wits.
I could go on...
Great post..
BUT
what'd you think of our Coaches ...? :sneaky:

The fact that Kane is suggesting a long suspension for Departing Dan is telling.
This is Port Logic right here.

If he gets more than 5, its not Port's problem anymore, so as far as they are concerned, he could miss 10+.

The maximum games Port will play between now and the end of the 2024 season is 5.

Some people in here saying fog got sucked in. The frees against him were total bullshit. The umps got sucked in. That keane 'bump' on butters, was a dive by butters. The rioli free against fog, another dive. Fog had his hand on riolis jumper and fog was pulled harder by his jumper and the momentum moved to rioli.

We should have been far more aggressive after the hit on rankine tbh.
Couldn't agree more. A number of terrible soft free kicks and then missed opportunities to turn the free kick over for indiscretions way worse than the initial free.

I agree the ban should be very long.
I'm also enthusiastic about the send off rule. This hit deserved it. No conversation needed on that as Houston did not deserve to be included in the game from that moment on. He had lost his sportsmanship right to be on the field.

But it's the consequence of sending a player off which solves many problems and creates instant penalty to the offending team.

Firstly, they play a man down which penalises the team immediately. This would result in less of this dangerous behaviours as teammates and coaches won't permit this to be part of a clubs MO.

The next reason which makes the send off rule work is it will reduce the retaliation of the victim team (like us last night). I believe, had Houston been sent off and Port were playing with 17, we would have gotten over the incident better and worked differently (better) to drive home our advantage. It's the lack of excessive retaliation that returns the football back to football and a sporting contest. The AFL take the mellee seriously with fines etc as it's a poor look for the game. The current rules of leaving the offending player on the field heightens tensions. Get him off and get the game back on, not the fights.

Another advantage of the send off rule is that it displays genuine effort by the AFL to protect players from malicious injury. The lawyers might have an opinion but a substantial change in rules does certainly show intent to provide player safety. In a worse case scenario, say, Rankine never plays again and is unable to ever work due to this injury, the AFL would be expecting some legal liability suit. Doing nothing more than slightly bigger bans won't be enough.

Lastly, although there's a long list of send off rule advantages, I'll finish with this one.
What we saw last night from the crowd towards an injured Izak Rankine is socially indecent and unacceptable. I know we might say it was the typical Port fans doing what they do, but this doesn't address how all fans would react in similar circumstances.
It was our retaliation which fired them up, it was how we responded that turned the stadium into a cauldron. I say that if Dan Houston had been sent off and our response was more measured accordingly, being a player down would place the fan anger and vitriol into the right place. At the guilty player for damaging his teams chances there and then. Instant karma. Instant justice. Instant penalty.

Finally, I expect the traditionalists will come back at me with the usual "not how it was when I were young" or the even more predictable "we're turning footy into netball". My point is that a send off rule IMPROVES the sporting spectacle. It IMPROVES player safety. And it IMPROVES just and proper outcomes instantly.
I don’t quite agree with this unless it’s an obvious intentional malicious act. I think what caused the concussion was after the impact of the collision, where the back of his Rankine’s head had hit the ground.

What I think would be better is for the AFL to grow some balls and come out saying “any bumps from now on will incur a suspension, with or without the result of a concussion”. Because right now, the AFL is still allowing bumps but letting chance dictate the penalties, depending on how hard a player’s head hits the ground.

In this instance, why would Houston be sent off?
None of the 4 umpires thought he did anything wrong. No free against him.
The fact no free kick was paid to an unconcious player suggests (proves) the umpires have blatantly failed.

But I expect we'll get the usual response from them...crickets.

Nicks might have mentioned this later if he had a spine. But...

Harsh reading but is actually the biggest "learning" of the night.
We're a young team and list. This became a liability in those crucial minutes.
I agree that our youth is a liability, but that's when our Coaches (Nicks, first and foremost) needed to settle them down at 3/4 time, adjust their thinking, remind them that the best way to get back at the ferals was to beat them to the ball and win the game.
Nicks expects the players to know what to do/how to respond but doesn't have the brains to see that our young team needs his best guidance and instruction at times like last night.
+
Murphy, 16 disposals. Only one in the final quarter. He constantly goes missing when it is "winning time".
Last night showed our lack of leadership.
Once Rankine got hit our guys just wanted to get revenge, and lost it.
Need to get better at this kind of stuff.
Yes, we needed Nicks and the Leadership team to step up.
Tbf, Dawson played his guts out in the last.
O'Brien was totally ineffective.
Fogarty lost his shit and forgot about the ball, and Murphy, well Murphy went missing in action in typical fashion.

The fact no free kick was paid to an unconcious player suggests (proves) the umpires have blatantly failed.

But I expect we'll get the usual response from them...crickets.

Nicks might have mentioned this later if he had a spine. But...
What was worse was how the hell did Port get a free after they stopped time to carry Rankine off?! That felt like a bizarre moment.

Anytime a player is stetchered off for a head hit, should get an instant free. We already have frees paid for dangerous (sling) tackle (with potential for head injury). But somehow no frees paid for actual dangerous bump with actual head injury!!

Im just curious I have noticed Port posters on here have been passively trolling with the likes on here with posts on here.

It is considered an infraction on Bigfooty.

Can the Mods please do anything about this? Scorpus Drugs Are Bad Mackay?

Surely you can ignore someone liking a post on an internet forum. I like reading in here, but people get so invested in shit fights with strangers.

Just keep strolling mate and don't be so precious.

Good
Few worked hard in Dawson ,Crouch etc but absolutely loved Worrells game especially in real pressure situations.
Bad
Nicks merry men highlighted by no idea of centre square structure or ability to change the game.
umpires in 2 nd half ,sucked in by floppers and nasty crowd.
UGLY
Well you cannot get any worse than that deliberate head on smash on a stationary player with
only eyes on ball.
Doesn't matter how well Isaac recovers or doesnt ,the result could be diabolical and not only ruin someones football future or recurring health but actually worse.
Lets not joke about how bad Port crowd was in booing a man that was knocked out un conscious as that defies us supporters as actually being human beings .
Didn't think I could dislike that team or coach or supporters anymore than previously did.

Don’t forget it’s a motley that the hard rough them up play was directly from Hinkley.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No no no - perfectly legitimate bump. It's not Houston's fault Rankine's head hit the ground which caused the concussion. Houston's shoulder clearly didn't contact Rankine's head.

Yes, yes. This is what my Port supporting acquaintances tell me.

Seriously the most campaignerish supporters in the AFL.
Absolute Port logic right here.

This photo is the most damning of Houston and his first point of contact with Rankine. Its a head high hit. Fact.

1.png

I agree that our youth is a liability, but that's when our Coaches (Nicks, first and foremost) needed to settle them down at 3/4 time, adjust their thinking, remind them that the best way to get back at the ferals was to beat them to the ball and win the game.
Nicks expects the players to know what to do/how to respond but doesn't have the brains to see that our young team needs his best guidance and instruction at times like last night.
+

Yes, we needed Nicks and the Leadership team to step up.
Tbf, Dawson played his guts out in the last.
O'Brien was totally ineffective.
Fogarty lost his shit and forgot about the ball, and Murphy, well Murphy went missing in action in typical fashion.
By leadership I mean our leaders getting the guys in a group when Rankine went off to get them to focus on the game and not try to whack Port players.

No evidence this happened.

I don’t quite agree with this unless it’s an obvious intentional malicious act. I think what caused the concussion was after the impact of the collision, where the back of his Rankine’s head had hit the ground.

What I think would be better is for the AFL to grow some balls and come out saying “any bumps from now on will incur a suspension, with or without the result of a concussion”. Because right now, the AFL is still allowing bumps but letting chance dictate the penalties, depending on how hard a player’s head hits the ground.
You can clearly see in this magnified picture that Houston's first point of contact was with Rankine's head.

1.png

You can clearly see in this magnified picture that Houston's first point of contact was with Rankine's head.

View attachment 2083562
Hi Grotto! That’s a very poor quality pic from a bad angle. I remember seeing the highlights, and distinctly remember Rankine’s arm flailed upwards when his head made contact to the ground. Which is the likely time of the concussion. I’m also basing on Houston’s past record, which I don’t recall him being one of those unfair players.
I’m not arguing that I think he’ll get off a suspension, but more the issue of his intent to cause a head injury.

I'm staggered at the amount of posters finally noticing how poor Berry is when over the ball, and how often he fumbles. What were you watching when he was getting midfield minutes and at centre bounces??

Got to agree same as Rochelle all of their misgivings have been on display for all to see , but now they can see?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hi Grotto! That’s a very poor quality pic from a bad angle. I remember seeing the highlights, and distinctly remember Rankine’s arm flailed upwards when his head made contact to the ground. Which is the likely time of the concussion. I’m also basing on Houston’s past record, which I don’t recall him being one of those unfair players.
I’m not arguing that I think he’ll get off a suspension, but more the issue of his intent to cause a head injury.
Dont worry, the AFL will have far superior IT software that will highlight the first point of contact was witht he head.

Its definitely 100% the head. Houston will get 6+

I think a fair few on here will be happy to cop a ban when we hop onto their board over the next 4 weeks. Revenge is sweet. **** the toothless campaigners.
I've not been banned. Is just from their board or bf generally?

View attachment 2083562
Deliberate shoulder charge. High contact, severe force. Severe injury inflicted. Vulnerable and unaware player.

Dog act all around.

Deliberate shoulder charge. High contact, severe force. Severe injury inflicted. Vulnerable and unaware player.

Dog act all around.
As long as the suspension is 5+ weeks, he wont play for Port again.

Dogs wouldnt do this, its a Port Adelaide Act. The Houston's hit embodies everything about Port.

View attachment 2083562
Yes.
While Houston's arm is down and elbow tucked in (which makes for very solid contact), the very hard part of his shoulder slams into Rankine's head.
From your image, Rankine was lights-out before he fell --- at the very least stunned --- made worse by his head hitting the ground.

John Who said: "What I think would be better is for the AFL to grow some balls and come out saying “any bumps from now on will incur a suspension, with or without the result of a concussion”. Because right now, the AFL is still allowing bumps but letting chance dictate the penalties, depending on how hard a player’s head hits the ground.".
I think the really dangerous bump is the Houston T-bone shirtfront where the recipient is ball-watching and totally unaware of the incoming impact, which is why those loopy, high handballs that set up a teammate to be hit are called "hospital handballs" :eek: (Rankine wasn't setup by a hospital handball, I know, but an ill-considered ball-punch by Keane).
I don't think footy watchers want to see shoulder-to-shoulder or hip-to-hip bumps disallowed, but hip-bumping a bloke with his head down (and hit in the head) has all ready been outlawed. So has a hit or push from behind, long ago.
The Houston-style T-bone shirtfront is next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back