Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach, but maybe not before asking for a job at the Crows first?
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Last edited:
Wasn’t on the website that I checked out.

Four years ago I was very bullish on Cook. His stats have gone backwards in the AFL this year and his ToG was 70.8%
(Compared to Murphy at 71.8%). The one thing virtually everyone on this Board will agree upon is that Murphy is a more than a tad disappointing as an AFL forward. Fair enough, it is Murphy’s 7th season but if you compare Brayden’s 4th season to Murphy’s 4th season, Murphy wins.

Do we need another Smurph (or Ned)? I am just bewildered by the slack given to Cook. Prior to this season the excuse was, give him a run of games and he will match or beat McAdam. Brayden played 17 straight games and took a total of 4 contested marks. The good news is he did produce more than McAdam did at Melbourne 🙄.
Yep Cook is a longshot to make it , been overrated around these parts

But we do love his skills by foot and speed

Crunch season next season, we could do with those traits , needs to turn into a man
I really want to see Cook come on and be a player but if we cut him tomorrow and paid out his contract I wouldn't even flinch
Yep one more year , 🤞

Contested marks is strange thing to list for Cook to show how poor he was.
It was part of the narrative from some posters that he would be a good replacement for McAdam. This wasn’t something obvious in his SANFL matches nor his AFL games this year and earlier. I just mentioned it to demonstrate that he and Murphy (and McHenry) have quite a bit in common.

I am an optimist and I hope he proves me wrong but I really wish we had given some of those 17 games to Curtin.

Admit it you''ve rarely watched him play.
I watched couple of games this arvo because I admitted earlier I not seen much of him. They were his statistically better games from this year and Im just saying he didnt blow me away.

Yes speed, yes got clearance because had nobody on him at stoppage. Kicking was hack kicks around the corner a lot. Lots of tackles.

You can all disagree and if we get him I hope he proves me wrong. If we dont I hope he proves me right.

Sorry, mean't to be GEEL VFL ....it was more around cheaply adding 25-26 YO's to your list ....GEEL use their area well (Tom Stewart) ....I can't recall us hitting a home run from a mature SANFL pick-up

We have tried plenty of times over the years. But there is a culture issue within the players of Sanfl clubs i believe which perhaps reduces the chances of success. Unlike the VFL system where as stated is a try before you by, it lures AFL hopefuls to stay and work with clubs. In the Sanfl it is often well known that many outstanding players leave for div 1 amateur, country footy once they have deemed their AFL careers will never happen. Why? dont have to train, play with friends, get paid 3 times the wage as a Sanfl player, get a job, and free accommodation, play other sports and can go out and have freedom.

I watched couple of games this arvo because I admitted earlier I not seen much of him. They were his statistically better games from this year and Im just saying he didnt blow me away.

Yes speed, yes got clearance because had nobody on him at stoppage. Kicking was hack kicks around the corner a lot. Lots of tackles.

You can all disagree and if we get him I hope he proves me wrong. If we dont I hope he proves me right.
Ill bet 2021/22 rankines stats didnt excite you and they werent great

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

i totally agree with this but some of these posters think he is the messiah

To that its just stupid. I remember when Hately was obtained and I think their was a group orgasm on here at one stage via zoom. Its the same with Cumming. (pun almost certainly is and always will be intended). Until his inclusion along with ANB add wins to the column and out perform guys like Murphy ( a very low bar I am aware) then Im just going to sit back and wait. Im actually more excited about the potential for Draper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To that its just stupid. I remember when Hately was obtained and I think their was a group orgasm on here at one stage via zoom. Its the same with Cumming. (pun almost certainly is and always will be intended). Until his inclusion along with ANB add wins to the column and out perform guys like Murphy ( a very low bar I am aware) then Im just going to sit back and wait. Im actually more excited about the potential for Draper.
I think it will be lalor not draper he will go to wc

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have tried plenty of times over the years. But there is a culture issue within the players of Sanfl clubs i believe which perhaps reduces the chances of success. Unlike the VFL system where as stated is a try before you by, it lures AFL hopefuls to stay and work with clubs. In the Sanfl it is often well known that many outstanding players leave for div 1 amateur, country footy once they have deemed their AFL careers will never happen. Why? dont have to train, play with friends, get paid 3 times the wage as a Sanfl player, get a job, and free accommodation, play other sports and can go out and have freedom.
Our Network should cover those remote leagues ....past players ect identifying prospects

Surely we can "mine" our own turf better than historically we have ......IIRC Tom Stewart was playing for Balwyn Heads & identified by past player (Scarlett)

Well they have offered him a 3 year contract and he is a Sydney boy thru their Academy. Well settled in Sydney with a very successful club etc

All I am saying is we can’t discount the fact he may stay and is using multiple other clubs interests to materially boost his next contract. Wouldn’t we all be doing the same thing if we were him?
He may well stay, but there also could be enough lure to come here if we play our cards right.

I kinda don’t believe you

Which games did you watch ?

Did you watch GWS v the Premiership team in the Lions

IMG_8921.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our Network should cover those remote leagues ....past players ect identifying prospects

Surely we can "mine" our own turf better than historically we have ......IIRC Tom Stewart was playing for Balwyn Heads & identified by past player (Scarlett)
I reckon former Beaufort Crows/Ballarat Rebels Shane O'Bree had a bit to do with it too given he said so at a local sportsman's night I attended a few years ago.

Rowey said Sloane will be talking to the club about a possible role here before taking up the Melbourne position.
Sloane family are very happy in SA and their best mate/family live here too. Why not see if there’s something on offer from the club you’ve given almost half your life to?

Agree. Im not completely up with Stewarts story but did he go out Geelongs reserves team first before even being drafted?

Im sure we chase players all the time and for all we know, many of our chased players probably come out and play and train with our reserves team.

But again, its a huge decision for a 24yo to walk away from career paths, may have a young family, house payments and other responsibilities.

South Australia doesnt have the footballing population that Victoria has and all this kind of means the chances of finding a diamond is very low odds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back