Votes: 30 7.4%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 97 24.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the real backlash was for giving up a first round pick for a 27 yr old B grader like Baker. Should have been their 2nd rounder at best
And apart from receiving pick 3 from WCE, we also got a few 4th round picks for additional points for the Campo bids.

We made out like absolute bandits in that trade.

That is a sensational deal for the Tigers. Likely to be pick 2 and 3 for 6 and 10.

Tigers have got unbelievable value with their trades and pick swaps this year

Yeah I still think north may pull a hawks next year but not as extreme maybe towards 12th - 10th so maybe pick 1-8

They won the grand final with a starting midfield of Darcy Fort , Lochie Neale, Josh Dunkley and Marcus Ashcroft with Berry and Mccluggage on the wings. No blinding pace there. Just footballers with clean hands, a will to win and good decision makers. Hawks triple flag team was the same.
Exactly!!!! And the pies and Richmond and many premiership winning midfields. Speed comes from the smalls, the flankers, the speed in decisive decision making and setups.

Oh and being clean. Nothing stops momentum like a fumble or triple grabber

Do we think there is any likelihood that Richmond may take the Suns approach and draft Smith and FOS given they played juniors together? Similar to the Anderson / Rowell approach? Do we know if Smith / FOS are close? Or am i making something up there?
Hard to see the Tiges not taking Lalor with the Dusty departure fresh in the mind. 2nd pick will be interesting if the get it from North. Probably Jagga.

Exactly!!!! And the pies and Richmond and many premiership winning midfields. Speed comes from the smalls, the flankers, the speed in decisive decision making and setups.

Oh and being clean. Nothing stops momentum like a fumble or triple grabber
Agree it's skill ,footy IQ, vision and athleticism, Lions have an amazing talent base especially their midfield were the game is won, also Fletcher wasn't mention and adding another Ashcroft and Marshall will just reinforce their center circle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What weaknesses do you see in Draper's game? I've seen you refer to them but haven't seen you name anything specific.
Only two players made the U18 All Australian teams in 2023 and 2024 - Levi Ashcroft and Sid Draper.

That's a fair effort from Sid considering he had a delayed start this year due to a stress fracture in his shin. But since returning to this year’s U18 national championships mid-year as captain again for SA he has continued his 2023 form. He stepped up playing six games in the SAFL averaging 23 disposals, 5 clearances and 6 tackles – including a round 14 game where he collected 27 disposals, nine clearances, 11 ground ball gets and 10 tackles. He wasn't playing against kids either in the SAFL and handled himself exceptionally.

I was going to say the same thing as mentioned above - North could trade down to 6 but chances are Tauru goes at 5 to Dees anyway so they may not risk it. Would love to see Norf hold 2 and pick Tauru, then we snaffled Jagga. But gut feel is that the club likes FOS most given his balance, impact and ceiling. Hope there's no nepotism in the conversation or thinking in any way (given FOS and Walsh connection).

Would love to peek inside Austin's brain to see.

Not long now though, I suppose.

Could north also trade a future 1st?

They could get 6/10/11 if that was the case.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That is a sensational deal for the Tigers. Likely to be pick 2 and 3 for 6 and 10.

Tigers have got unbelievable value with their trades and pick swaps this year

I think it's a fantastic deal for North. They could get one of the brilliant mids at 6, but they will take Tauru, and maybe double down with Armstrong for their bookends. Points don't matter with these two clubs and Richmond have so many picks so getting the 2 best mids is huge for them.

I'd take FOS or Lalor for us, and that will be vindicated by them going to Richmond first up.

How many Carlton connections are their in this draft?

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

O'sullivan is Walsh's 2nd cousin
Smillie's father was on our list
Hynes' father played senior footy for us.
Hotton's father played senior footy for us
Ben & Lucas are eligible as father sons.
O'Farrell's father is our Michael Christian honorary tormentor.

Any others?

If Norf have their hearts set on Tauru, they may not take the risk to trade down - especially as the Demons are likely to pick up a key with either pick 5 or 9.

I don't mind Windows' suggestion of them trading with us - something like pick 3 and 38 for pick 2 and a f2 or 3 - which eliminates the risk of a Campo bid before 38, and almost certainly eliminates the risk of losing FOS (if that's who we're targeting).

Norf still get Tauru and another pick in the draft before their next pick in the 60's.

Still reckon that they'll end up trading with the Tiggs though - 2 for 6 and 18 seems pretty reasonable. Norf may think that if they miss out on Tauru, they can still jag Armstrong at 6.
Not hard to put a spanner in the works though, we can easily come out and say if Lalor and FOS are gone we're taking Tauru.
Then again who knows.. maybe... Tauru has been our target all along and we are happy to let it play out and land him.

Not hard to put a spanner in the works though, we can easily come out and say if Lalor and FOS are gone we're taking Tauru.
Then again who knows.. maybe... Tauru has been our target all along and we are happy to let it play out and land him.
I think the club would likely be burnt to the ground if it selected Tauru after binning Kennedy and delisting Carroll.

We are clearly preparing for a midfielder.

How many Carlton connections are their in this draft?

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

O'sullivan is Walsh's 2nd cousin
Smillie's father was on our list
Hynes' father played senior footy for us.
Hotton's father played senior footy for us
Ben & Lucas are eligible as father sons.
O'Farrell's father is our Michael Christian honorary tormentor.

Any others?
Joe Berry and family are Carlton supporters and his grandmother's uncle was Harry Vallance.

Not downplaying his midfield capabilities, but Jagga would be our best small forward immediately if he played full time there
High half-forward would be a great starting point and a boon for our forward unit and midfield.
The Office Thank You GIF

This why I don’t understand the criticism of Finn, people not wanting him because he doesn’t get “high numbers”

I’d rather 20 damaging disposals and 3 goals than a 35-40 disposal game that don’t have much influence!!
Because we need to be able to link in midfield and break from stoppage more easily

He doesn't help with that, much like his 2nd cousin given Walsh's preference to play more inside.

You can't just keep packing in too much of the same athletic profile, unless they're all elite speed/endurance mixes of various sizes

We've had too many grinders, and all FOS can do to separate clearly from that is leap at the ball from time to time. He's not as quick as Heeney.
As much as I like Smith, Pommyinoz observed that he tends to go out the back of the stoppage avoiding tackles with his agility rather than out the front like Draper.
And? We don't need that, and the situation will change over time too.

If you could, would you prefer Neale or McCluggage to add to our 2025 midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back