Votes: 34 8.1%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 104 24.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

3.23 is pretty slow.... Bont and Cripps similar testing times and Cripps has shown that it can be improved.
We always talk about how much Cripps improved his but he also didn’t hit puberty until almost 17. Possibly being slow to physically develop meant he had much more natural improvement left over the majority of kids do because for 99% of players comparatively it doesn’t seem to change.

Draper isn't a natural footballer or something?

No idea how he's boom or bust either. There are far less consistent performers in that group you've listed.
Didn't say anything about drapers raw talents, what I said was in the greater context of why the media isn't linking us to him AND how deep the top end is here. Nothing more - feel like you're taking anyone not rating Draper top 2 personally... It's ok. They're all looking like absolute gems. I'm just less inclined to blow my load on leg speed and prefer the disposal and decision making traits... Genuinely carlton can't go wrong. I was simply trying to logic out why Draper until now hasn't been linked to us. - 7th in twomeys stuff etc.

Smith often bobs up for a goal or 2. Kicked at least 1 per game for the last month of the season. I wouldn't say it's a big strength but not a weakness either. Could easily see him kicking 20 next year from a forward flank.
Excellent evasive skills, reckon Smith would generate quite a few goal assists.

Excellent evasive skills, reckon Smith would generate quite a few goal assists.
Agree he’s a natural footballer, nice skill set, as he develops AFL physical fitness and maturity he’ll shine. He’ll play HB, one would think for a season or so and when ready released into the center circle. A quality player no doubt.

Reckon Sid Draper will be selected around picks 4 to 8 thereabouts, if Adelaide doesn’t select him at 4, he’ll drop.
I don't think that says anything about him as a player though. I think Sid compliments most midfields in the competition. But the top 1-8 picks (besides us and Adelaide) are all weaker midfields looking for central cogs (Richmond, Melbourne, St Kilda) are all looking for inside midfielders who can deliver a high floor across a number of areas. They are likely to trend towards the bigger bodied midfielders and don't mind a lack of pace.

It would be a different story if the top 5 picks consistent of teams like Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle and GWS who would all really benefit from the type of player Draper is. Shows why we're in such a lucky space to snap him up because usually you don't get an opportunity to take a player of his calibre into a good team.

Reckon Sid Draper will be selected around picks 4 to 8 thereabouts, if Adelaide doesn’t select him at 4, he’ll drop.
Assuming Richmond and North swap 2 and 6, and assuming the top #3 consists of Lalor, FOS and Jagga, and assuming Adelaide then don't take Draper (although I suspect this would be unlikely and it's hard to draft someone to them who isn't Draper - Langford may be the only one), I agree he could drop to St Kilda, Melbourne or Richmond.

1. Lalor (Rich)
2. FOS (Rich)
3. Jagga (Car)
4. Langford (Ade)
5. Smilie (Melb)
6. Tauru (North)
7. Reid (St K)

Draper has to now be burning a hole in the draft board, St Kilda aren't going to take Armstrong surely, so Draper appears pretty unlikely to get passed them. Only other option for St Kilda at 8 would be someone like Hotton.

But having played that out, I just can't see Draper not being selected by at least Pick #4. Melbourne at #5 is also an area I see it hard for him to get passed, if for some reason Langford and Draper were available, I can see the Dees preferring Langford, but I highly doubt that. Otherwise Smilie / Draper is a close one from a Dees perspective and a Smilie selection may be insurance for Oliver. Basically only way Draper would drop passed 8 in my opinion is if for some reason Adelaide picked someone other than Langford / Draper at #4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith often bobs up for a goal or 2. Kicked at least 1 per game for the last month of the season. I wouldn't say it's a big strength but not a weakness either. Could easily see him kicking 20 next year from a forward flank.
Smith - at the least - has Connor Macdonald vibes but even better. Also has leadership, better craft and killed it against VFL bodies this year.

I would love a Connor Mac in our side.

Give me Jagga first.

In saying this, the rhetoric from Austin seems to point towards Draper's profile (which I'm okay with, but not my #1).

Agree Draper won’t drop past p8, a club will be dazzled by the flashy running and incessant hand-balling. I’m concerned about his kicking action , footy IQ & distribution at p3. Would prefer a Vic boy too and there’s plenty of quality options at our pick.
Yep, I've got grave concerns about the player who averaged 22 touches, 5 clearances, 6 tackles and 4 inside 50's a game as a child against men in the SANFL seniors.

I'd much prefer a guy who averaged 17, 0, 3 and 5 against 17 year old's.

Agree Draper won’t drop past p8, a club will be dazzled by the flashy running and incessant hand-balling. I’m concerned about his kicking action , footy IQ & distribution at p3. Would prefer a Vic boy too and there’s plenty of quality options at our pick.

They all have flaws...

Langford has leg speed and decision making issues (particularly kicking i50) as well...

Smith is the safe option, but potentially not as high of a ceiling. For me, he is a classy player but also an accumulator. However, he tends to go backwards as much as he does forwards... can't remember which game it was but he had around 40 possessions with only 50m gained...

Lalor will most likely be gone.

Then there's FOS. Some are high on him, some are cautious. He has a lot of traits that we'd want... but he has some flaws that I think will be exposed more at AFL level... particularly getting caught trying to take tacklers on and ball winning ability.

Like you said though, these are all really good players in the making. I don't think Draper being from SA will be an issue at all. He has his flaws too, but he has traits that I think will really compliment our midfield the most.

Draper is a given for the Crows. Home grown star. Get him in and move on. Will be the quickest pick of the draft.

If we have the choice of Smith, or FOS, or Lalor - we can’t lose. Enviable spot. Others make the choice for us.

Still hanging out for a trade down for Smillie and Trainor but noise is strong we stay at 3.

Smith seems to have nice poise around the ball, stop/prop, sidestep.

Do you see him being used as a small forward initially?

If you had a Porche 911, would you tow a boat with it?

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back