Preview ‪1st SF - Geelong vs Sydney, Friday 15th September, 7:50pm @ MCG ‬

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprisingly optimistic about this game.
Massive plus Guthrie and Kolo aren't playing. Would have to be 2 of the worst in the whole comp to get regular AFL games this year.
Also Selwood will be better for the run and no bye this week.
Our coach will cop heat this week so he might actually get his head outta his own arse and learn something from the last 3 times we've played them.
Also Menz will be a big in compared to last year ( bar silly selection issues)
We might win!!
Yeh na........

Somehow I feel we will win.
  • The eagerness to redeem themselves will be very strong after such humiliating lose.
  • We're underdog now. We're good at playing underdog.
  • The match is not at SS.

Go Cats!!! I believe all fans of AFL are at our side, except theirs.

The opportunity to catch them napping is definitely there, we will see, my faith in this current team to show any heart in September is waning, but I'll be watching and hoping.

On your last point you are mistaken, we're one of the top 3 most hated clubs right now, there will be thousands hoping and waiting to stamp on our corpse

Ok, I went through the full 16 pages there. Some interesting points were raised.

Funnily enough, even though we have historically owned the Tigers, it felt like the damn walls would burst eventually against them on the G where our record in recent games has been poor to average. Our strategy revolves around blocking the corridor and using our tall defenders to intercept mark and force a rebound movement as the opposition is normally forced to bomb; but on the wide ground, they can open up the play and chip it around by holding the possession with neat passing all the way into the opposition F50. I had some doubt just before the game that we may be overwhelmed after the bye in week 1 of finals. However, now we have the backs up against the wall, and against an opposition team that has serious talent and form, this is the kind of test that get's the best out of our club.

Playing basically 3 youngsters like Parsons, Parfitt, Zuthrie in such a big game seemed like we might lack some physicality, especially when you have outside types like Murdoch and Motlop as well, it just left us with too many players that could not match the physicality in the big games. Not to mention, some of our better players this year like Stewart, Menegola and Tuohy also lack finals experience. So suddenly, you have 8 players in a team of 22 that have ? around their finals ability. Don't get me wrong, I think Stewart, Menegola, Tuohy, Parfitt and Zuthrie will perform at this level, but I am not so convinced on the others mentioned.

So my changes would be:

Out: Parsons, Kolo, Guthrie, Murdoch
In: Menzel, Thurlow, Lang, Cockatoo

1. I thought we could do with more goal scoring from Menzel, let's face it, Parsons defensive pressure does not exceed Menzel's goal creativity.

2. For Kolo, the logical replacement is to bring in some composed kicking from Thurlow. Jackson Thurlow's avg possession count is surprisingly good against the Swans at 22 touches. I would give him the nod in this game, without doubt.

3. I'd roll the dice with Cockatoo if he passes the fitness tests and replace him with Murdoch. I think we should drop Murdoch (over Motlop) as he has the worst record against the Swans kicking only 1 goal from 6 matches, and averaging 13 touches; Motlop at least has an average over 1 goal a game against the Swans but his avg possession count drops to 16.

4. Lang is the obvious next best to replace the injured Guthrie, and well his record is not that good against the Swans, but give him the task to provide more tackle pressure in the corridor especially - something he is actually good at.

* I thought Zuthrie was the best of the youngsters against Richmond, but if we decide to take him out as well, then bring in Ruggles, and give him the job to physically harass the opposition forwards, even if its for one week only and it results in suspension. Its finals footy, not auskick.

Last edited:
Tazhawk is in Europe and Bosk, while being insufferable and a little psychotic, certainly posts with a little more shrewdness than that chap.

Hawk Dork however is a big possibility.
Certainly wasn't that pleb Xtreme.

Maybe they should try a Malcolm Blight trick from the 1989 semi-final after being thrashed by Essendon the week before.
Start the game with Selwood & Dangerfield on the bench.
I remember that, and I was at the game when he did that with Couch and Bairstow. It was a legendary move.

Nothing wrong with throwing in Menegola, Scooter and Cockatoo at first bounce. Duncan and Blicavs on the wings. If Danger and Selwood are not on the ground, throw them in the forward line to begin with, next to Menzel and Hawkins, just mess with the match-ups initially. Send Taylor down back to guard the fort.

If it was at Kardinia there'd be virtually no tickets available for swans fans. We have a big following still in Melb (around 19k members are from Victoria) and plenty of swans are travelling (me included) down for the game.
All Swans fans will be at the Rising Sun

get the feeling we might just turn up, and this will be closer than people think
not sure why, but just feel that the boys have everything to play for

PS can they buy some bloody gloves so they dont fumble bumble all night
I agree, I have a rising sense of optimism about this game, more so than the Tigers game... They need to mess with the match-ups initially I feel, if we jump them early then we are in with a big shot.

Ok, I went through the full 16 pages there. Some interesting points were raised.

Funnily enough, even though we have historically owned the Tigers, it felt like the damn walls would burst eventually against them on the G were our record in recent games has been poor to average. Our strategy revolves around blocking the corridor and using our tall defenders to intercept mark to force a rebound movement as the opposition is normally forced to bomb; but on the wide ground, they can open up the play and chip it around by holding the possession with neat passing all the way into the opposition F50. I had some doubt just before the game that we may be overwhelmed after the bye in week 1. However, no we have the backs up against the wall, and against an opposition team that has serious talent and form, this is the kind of test that get's the best out of our club.

Playing basically 3 youngsters like Parsons, Parfitt, Zuthrie in such a big game seemed like we might lack some physicality, especially when you have outside types like Murdoch and Motlop as well, it just left us with too many players that could match the physicality in the big games. Not to mention, some of our better players this year like Stewart, Menegola and Tuohy also lack finals experience. So suddenly, you have 8 players in a team of 22 that have ? around their finals ability. Don't get me wrong, I think Stewart, Menegola, Tuohy, Parfitt and Zuthrie will perform at this level, but I am not so convinced on the others mentioned.

So my changes would be:

Out: Parsons, Kolo, Guthrie, Murdoch
In: Menzel, Thurlow, Lang, Cockatoo

1. I thought we could do with more goal scoring from Menzel, let's face it, Parsons defensive pressure does not exceed Menzel's goal creativity.

2. For Kolo, the logical replacement is to bring in some composed kicking from Thurlow. Jackson Thurlow's avg possession count is surprisingly good against the Swans at 22 touches. I would give him the nod in this game, without doubt.

3. I'd roll the dice with Cockatoo if he passes the fitness tests and replace him with Murdoch. I think we should drop Murdoch (over Motlop) as he has the worst record against the Swans kicking only 1 goal from 6 matches, and averaging 13 touches; Motlop at least has an average over 1 goal a game against the Swans but his avg possession count drops to 16.

4. Lang is the obvious next best to replace the injured Guthrie, and well his record is not that good against the Swans, but give him the task to provide more tackle pressure in the corridor especially - something he is actually good at.

* I thought Zuthrie was the best of the youngsters against Richmond, but if we decide to take him out as well, then bring in Ruggles, and give him the job to physically harass the opposition forwards, even if its for one week only and it results in suspension. Its finals footy, not auskick.
Good post, I'd like to see those changes plus Ruggles for Zuthrie. Ruggles should be our answer to Papley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you say Adelaide have big bodies? Or bulldogs last year? I think winning the contested ball is more about attitude than anything else
not talking about adelaide or bulldogs. Talking about our next match. Swans do have big bodies and I can see Heeney or Hanneberry or Kennedy or Parker or frankly anyone breaking Zach Guthrie. He played very well this week, but still think we need big bodies primarily against the Swannies.
They operate like a train and try to press hard from the beginning of a match. We need to be ready to hit them at least as hard. Would you suggest Zach Guthrie is the man for that.
In saying all of this, I think The Crouches and Sloane and Greenwood have three times the girth of Zuthers. We are already carrying Motlop's body into finals, we cannot afford another smally. Please coaches, get serious about that this week. You saw what theories did last week. Mardin was bouncing off our players like the jelly on Tom Stewart's paunch. Bring in Cocky to run through the fendoff and put Bews in the middle to give us extra pace and direct play. We don't need to structure up to stop Sydney, we need to structure up to attack and to win. Ruggles on Papley, Bews in the middle, Cocky, Menzel and Stanley in for Kolo, \the Guthries and Parsons. Lets play real footy.

get the feeling we might just turn up, and this will be closer than people think
not sure why, but just feel that the boys have everything to play for

PS can they buy some bloody gloves so they dont fumble bumble all night
Yeah, see if Travis Cloke has a glove franchise. Also pick a strong team (physically to get the ball and attack). Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see Buddy, Kennedy hanneberry Parker and Jack with their hands on their heads post game. Longmire punching the box and the Sydney defense completely gutted. Also to have Robbo be forced to apologise to the Cats.
I'd also like to see Brereton and Maguire moan more about the high tackle and Selwood needing to be outlawed from the game. Privileged w***ers

We should all be getting excited and looking forward to this game. We will have all off-season to piss and moan about any and all shortcomings of the club, many of which will be completely valid and warranted, but we might only have one more week to enjoy the build up of a big game and watching the Cats go around until a 6 month hiatus. Not over 'till it's over.
Imagine what beating Sydney would do to our posters here. Wow, not so negative then. I truly believe that going into the match to win, to not get knocked off the ball early and to kick high scores, to play intensity based team football, to confront the confronters and to smash their cocky asses will get us over the line. Read this post coaches. Be wiling to have heads cracked when attacking the ball. Hit the corridor hard and kick to moving forwards, not the bombing nonsense that ends your year. On the lead the Cats are hard to stop

Happy to bet my house he plays.

Gee thanks.....

images

For those who haven't seen it, this is incredibly telling:

413632_0b6be5a1ee425e047f59237e2a87e129.jpg

How do we turn this around in the space of a week? I'd say it's almost impossible to. We need a miracle this weekend.
Alarming stats. Cannot be turned around within a week unfortunately. Something drastically needs to change over the summer.

For those who haven't seen it, this is incredibly telling:

413632_0b6be5a1ee425e047f59237e2a87e129.jpg

How do we turn this around in the space of a week? I'd say it's almost impossible to. We need a miracle this weekend.
Bloody Duncwood. We are a two man team I tells ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back