Preview ‪1st SF - Geelong vs Sydney, Friday 15th September, 7:50pm @ MCG ‬

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly the closest to a man on man team is probably Sydney.

Sydney flood massively they are the antithesis of man on man. Their press and their contest is better than ours though IMO.

Sydney flood massively they are the antithesis of man on man. Their press and their contest is better than ours though IMO.
As a team yes, but their defenders tend to play very strong and accountable lockdown roles. At least relative to how loosely that ethos is followed in modern footy.

I don't think flood really covers any tactic in todays game either, the true flood died when we were on the ascendancy. Nowadays its more just an elastic defence that's much less static and more attacking than the flood.

Motlop must not play outside of fwd 50. Unless streaming towards it. His field kicking was deplorable on Friday. Sit him at the bottom of every Buzza/Hawkins/Menzel marking contest.
A problem with his field kicking is that there's no penetration on the kick - it's too easy for the opposition to read, rather than favouring the teammate he's kicking to

Motlop must not play outside of fwd 50. Unless streaming towards it. His field kicking was deplorable on Friday. Sit him at the bottom of every Buzza/Hawkins/Menzel marking contest.

As nice as it would be it won't happen. It's a big issue of late that when we try a player in a new role, no matter how shit they are they never go back. It's how we turned Smedts from a promising half forward to a fumbly mess of a defender, likewise Murdoch, thankfully he is starting to recover this year. Kolo on the wing thankfully is working otherwise he'd be yet another young player permanently scarred.

With Bews they finally caught some common sense and sent him back to defence, we can only hope that they are starting to learn, but they played menegola at half forward last week so who even knows anymore.

I've been saying this for ages. He clearly loves a goal, so it's good motivation, and even if his kick lacks a bit of penetration, it doesn't matter if it goes over the goal line at half post height or 10 metres clear of the top.

There's always goals in the banana-nananana stand!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically he did beat that opponent that he sold the candy to. But just didn't expect Buddy to be chasing him down like a man possessed. In hindsight, that's just bloody excellent work by Franklin - and made Motlop look silly.
Sums Motlop up really. Had the easy handpass to the open Stanley, yet wants the glory for himself and takes the selfish option.

Sums Motlop up really. Had the easy handpass to the open Stanley, yet wants the glory for himself and takes the selfish option.
If Buddy wasn't there, he would have beaten his opponent easily and had a much more simple shot than Stanley - and it would have looked glorious! You can see what he was thinking. And in a way it was a reasonable, split second decision in the heat of the moment.
BUUUT!! Geez I was furious at the time! It just looked so selfish!

I am going with...

In - Menzel, Buzza, Cockatoo (If available)
Out - Guthrie, Parsons, Zuthrie (If Cocky is available)

IN: Menzel, Thurlow , Cockatoo

OUT: Guthrie x 2, Kolo

- Leave Cockatoo forward 50 at the feet of Hawkins.

- Blicavs to CHF / roaming.

- Harry to CHB where he belongs

Hi all - apologies if these stats have already been posted:

Last Friday, our final score of 5.10 (40) was our lowest final score in a final since 1914 (103 years).

Also our season-high for clangers with 37, a total only exceeded in 2017 by Port Adelaide in round 19

and 38 inside 50s (the Cats' lowest total for the season).

So we can't possibly play any worse!!

Miserable. I suppose you can look forward to the cricket, and we can look forward to posts from people who still see some hope in the season.

Course I'm miserable. The same shit keeps happening every year and we've learnt nothing. Word out of the club last week that we were as focused as anyone has ever seen going into the finals series. What a crock of shit. I'll get over it, but at the moment I'm pretty ropable,

Course I'm miserable. The same shit keeps happening every year and we've learnt nothing. Word out of the club last week that we were as focused as anyone has ever seen going into the finals series. What a crock of shit. I'll get over it, but at the moment I'm pretty ropable,
I worry about the potential for next week. Chin up, we could snag a win. I am going to enjoy it either way - its my last dig for the season, or we make it another week. Whats not to celebrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back