Preview ‪1st SF - Geelong vs Sydney, Friday 15th September, 7:50pm @ MCG ‬

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to 7 news - the review from Scott was as brutal as it's been in his time and took a number of senior players by surprise. So while he can be measured in front of the media, seems he was forthright with the players and didn't hold back - I guess the first 5 minutes Friday night will tell us a lot about the players if that is the case
Lets just hope he put his hand up as well in that brutality - everyone was culpable in that Tigers game - its not a one way street.

Needs a 3 game commitment from all to excel and leave nothing in the tank each week.

GO Catters

I'm starting to doubt my eyes because I'm seeing so many people suggesting Zuthrie will be omitted. He played well against Richmond and has played eight of our last ten. Made of the right stuff. Look past his bicep girth.

Completely agree. His composure in the heat of battle looked pretty good the other night. He's not going to break tackles yet but seems to keep a cool head.

Cockatoo strikes fear into the opposition. I'd play him even on one leg if it means some who are afraid of physical contact like Kolodjashnij aren't selected.

I think this is vastly overrated. He tackles well but he's also undisciplined with it and prone to giving silly frees away. He needs to focus more on getting the ball right now.

No player strikes fear into the opposition anymore. He certainly doesn't.

Geelong fans are way too negative after Friday night.

I think we can do it, it's not an impossible task.

Have to play Menzel irrespective of his defensive pressure.
I would also bring in Buzza because ultimately, we will need to play Taylor in the back half as Sinclair, Reid and Franklin are all tall marking targets. Buzza just needs to attack contests like he was near the end of the year. Doesn't matter if he only accumulates 5 touches but as long as he busts open packs, it will create a few chances to score out the back.
I would seriously drop Blicavs. I know it's risky if Smith copped an early injury but Buzza does play ruck so that's a safety option.
Darcy Lang should come in for Guthrie and I would go with Thurlow over Stewart.

I think Rampe and Mills are the guys who will pick us apart. They read the play so well and then they back themselves in to fly for the intercept marks. Hit the ground running too.
And while Sydney have the usual suspects, the other bloke who is traveling under the radar is Jake Lloyd. He's like what Mitch Duncan is to us.

It's too late. They've blown another year. Another wasted opportunity. The attitude should have been different last week. It wasn't. If by some absolute miracle we got up, there's no getting past the crows. There is honestly no point in changing the attitude now.
Miserable. I suppose you can look forward to the cricket, and we can look forward to posts from people who still see some hope in the season.

I'm sure Toby knows more about football than I do but I'd respectfully suggest that he's oversimplifying things a bit there. No team plays man on man and every team plays a variation of the press.

Pretty much.

I wouldn't agree that Geelong dropped the tag on Martin either - Selwood was still minding him at the centre bounces and Stewart when he went forward. He was just too good for them.

Pretty much.

I wouldn't agree that Geelong dropped the tag on Martin either - Selwood was still minding him at the centre bounces and Stewart when he went forward. He was just too good for them.
He absolutely destroyed Stewart, that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much.

I noticed Stewart on him up the ground a few times, but I guess that was when Martin started forward and was working up the ground.

Once further up the ground, Stewart looked out of his depth trying to man up on him - we needed to better manage that situation to not have players caught of position

They probably thought he was the best size to try and counteract him up forward.
He quite possibly is. But Stewart just had to do better on a few occasions. Martin made him look like a witches hat.

Geelong fans are way too negative after Friday night.

I think we can do it, it's not an impossible task.

It's not impossible but we are all negative because Friday night was a disaster and there was no positives to take out of it at all.

Swans just look in such good nick right now.

It's not impossible but we are all negative because Friday night was a disaster and there was no positives to take out of it at all.

Swans just look in such good nick right now.
Exactly true.
As far as positives,
Selwood and Blicavs needed the run,
CGuthrie could be ok if we win on Friday,
ZGuthrie stood up,
we have got the bye out of our system,
Danger could not have been worse with his efficiency,
we so often fire up after a disaster if we have the chance, like we do this week,
Swans had a training drill,
we were under 4Q of intense pressure and completely wilted only in the lastQ minus Guthrie.

Last edited:
I think this is vastly overrated. He tackles well but he's also undisciplined with it and prone to giving silly frees away. He needs to focus more on getting the ball right now.

No player strikes fear into the opposition anymore. He certainly doesn't.
Geelong players, or in general?
Buddy
Martin

Bloody footy. If this match had been played straight after our loss to Richmond, or even the day after, I'd have gone in with 0 confidence, hope or interest. If Geelong got spanked by 100 points I wouldn't have been at all surprised and at that stage I really wouldn't have cared.

Over the last few days though I've been reading and thinking about the game, and every now and then a little thought will pop into my head - what if this happens, or that happens? What if Dangerfield lights it up with one of his 30+ disposal, 3 goal games and what if it's one of those games where most of those disposals actually hit the target!? What if Selwood is better for the run last week and returns to his best - he's historically an excellent finals performer. What if Hawkins gets off the leash, or Menzel comes in and slots a few (and lays a few tackles...), or the good Motlop turns up?

What if a few of the second and third tier players step up? As a group, they have a lot to atone for after Friday night (with apologies to Z. Guthrie who was as composed as any Geelong player). Menegola, Murdoch, Blicavs, Stewart, Parsons, Bews... Some of these guys are repeated finals flops, some were playing their first final; all were poor at best. But what if a few of them step up this week?

What if we get the drive from half back...back.

And what if a few of these things happen together? Or even most of these things?

If this match was to be played today, I'd watch it with interest. I'd hope that a few of these things happened, but with little confidence that they would. Geelong are underdogs and deservedly so. I'd be disappointed with a loss - particularly if it involved a big first quarter deficit - but I'd get over it quickly.

Three more days until the match is actually played. Three more days for the little thoughts to pop up and ask what if?... And three more days for these little thoughts to convince me that these what ifs are actually possible; likely even. My hopes are building already. I'm reluctant to let them build, but I know I don't get a say in it. Come Friday night we will still be underdogs and deservedly so. And we will probably lose. And it's going to hurt as much as it did last Friday night against Richmond, because by then I will have convinced my gullible self that a win was entirely possible. Bloody footy.

Last edited:
I'm starting to doubt my eyes because I'm seeing so many people suggesting Zuthrie will be omitted. He played well against Richmond and has played eight of our last ten. Made of the right stuff. Look past his bicep girth.
Fast becoming my favourite young player. Loved him when I saw him in the JLT game way back in February, and to come out and play with such composure in front of 90,000+ in a final was very impressive. Can't wait to see him progress over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back