Preview ‪1st SF - Geelong vs Sydney, Friday 15th September, 7:50pm @ MCG ‬

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
im hearing attitude will be different this friday - totally different
add to that players are playing for their careersand potentially their last game

It's too late. They've blown another year. Another wasted opportunity. The attitude should have been different last week. It wasn't. If by some absolute miracle we got up, there's no getting past the crows. There is honestly no point in changing the attitude now.

It really is interesting how in our last 2 games against them that have resulted in floggings we have won the contested possession and I50 count, we even smashed them in the clearances in the round 20 clash. On paper we should not be getting smashed by winning these stats but it's essentially the same way we lost to Richmond, immense pressure on our ball carriers forcing us to bomb blindly into the forward line which is cut off by their loose man back. I'd love to see us hold on to the ball longer with chip kicking denying Sydney possession but we don't have the cattle to be able to kick the ball from end to end with uncontested passes. Maybe we're better off evening up the numbers in the forward half and not playing a loose man back ourselves so at least we have an even chance at marking our bombs up forward.

Personnel/changes won't have a huge bearing on the result;
Out: C Guthrie
In: Menzel
Whatever happens outside of that is largely irrelevant.
A few things of note:
- We MUST tag Kennedy. Not Parker. Not Hannebery. Get it done, Scott Selwood.
- Tackle.
- Tackle.
- We MUST start well.
- Tackle.
- Blicavs needs to get outside of the contest and provide us with a "bail out" option to kick to under pressure. This is when he plays his best footy. It is also the most useful role he can/does play for the side.
- Take ownership when it's your time. I'm looking at you, Tom.
- Tackle.
- We MUST be prepared to slow the game down on occasions. Our manic, handball happy style does not work under the heat of a final. Be prepared to kick short and take the heat out of the contest.
- Tackle.
- Our ATTITUDE and INTENT will go a long way to deciding our chances. Be aggresive with both.
Our backs are against the wall but we are more than capable so let's get it done!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Personnel/changes won't have a huge bearing on the result;
Out: C Guthrie
In: Menzel
Whatever happens outside of that is largely irrelevant.
A few things of note:
- We MUST tag Kennedy. Not Parker. Not Hannebery. Get it done, Scott Selwood.
- Tackle.
- Tackle.
- We MUST start well.
- Tackle.
- Blicavs needs to get outside of the contest and provide us with a "bail out" option to kick to under pressure. This is when he plays his best footy. It is also the most useful role he can/does play for the side.
- Take ownership when it's your time. I'm looking at you, Tom.
- Tackle.
- We MUST be prepared to slow the game down on occasions. Our manic, handball happy style does not work under the heat of a final. Be prepared to kick short and take the heat out of the contest.
- Tackle.
- Our ATTITUDE and INTENT will go a long way to deciding our chances. Be aggresive with both.
Our backs are against the wall but we are more than capable so let's get it done!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Tell you what Blicavs needs to get out of.

The team.

Last edited:
It's too late. They've blown another year. Another wasted opportunity. The attitude should have been different last week. It wasn't. If by some absolute miracle we got up, there's no getting past the crows. There is honestly no point in changing the attitude now.
I do understand the logic as I too think we've blown a good shot at a flag. And if the attitude/execution does lift significantly this week, questions will still have to be asked about the QF over the off season. Saying that, while the team is alive they have a duty to redeem themselves. And I'll be even angrier if there isn't any sort of response. Imagine folding again, and getting done by 100 points. Is that preferable to an against the odds win, and being knocked out a week later? Not in my eyes.

The main reason most supporters are so annoyed that we lost to Tigers seems to be because we have to play Swans. Most are so petrified of having to play them, now it's reality.
Does anyone seriously believe we are or were any chance of a flag having so much fear of another team?
Better to play them this week than later in finals.
This lack of respect for Richmond, the team, not the supporters, is farcical.
Sydney are an awesome team and a scary prospect, but I suspect the premiership team may have to beat them this year.

Thurlow took along time to get going this year ( understandable re the knee reco ) but i thought he had a month of really good football - and his last qtr against Collingwood was excellent - one of the reasons why Geel won - then he got dropped

Just on Blicavs s and what role he should play - one of the best games he ever played - was against Collingwood - where he was directly opposed against Pendlebury - and he absolutely annihilated Pendlebury - ( used his pace advantage to great advantage ) - so much so in the return game Collingwood played Pendlebury on a half back flank . Maybe Blicavs could have a run with role against one of their midfielders - because as good as they are - a few of them aernt quick

I'm starting to doubt my eyes because I'm seeing so many people suggesting Zuthrie will be omitted. He played well against Richmond and has played eight of our last ten. Made of the right stuff. Look past his bicep girth.
I haven't seen a hell of a lot of the kid, but I gotta say I think the Swans worked him over pretty good. They got stuck into him and I think his lean physique didn't do him any favours.

Probably because a 750pm Friday start for GWS WCoast would be 550pm live into Perth, which would be a ratings disaster. The only game that makes "sense" to the afl bean counters is our game.

The time was decided before West Coast won. It was always going to be like this though, as then it creates 7 days between games the following week for both teams, also that they'd rather Gee v Syd on a Friday night than GWS v Port/WCE.

From a selfish point of view though, I wish it were on the Saturday night, as I have tickets to a concert on the Friday night which means I'd have to leave at half time to make it. Going to be a tough call on the night if we're in the contest still at that stage..

I haven't posted for a while, but I have a couple of observations.
Last year was the first year of the bye after the final round and with only one year of stats obviously things can change.
I made the point to my wife last year ( I can produce her here, for testimonial support)(only) that I thought it was preferable
to lose the first final. In retrospect it seemed less than ideal to have a bye, win the first final and have another bye.
The teams doing that go into the prelim having played one game in a month.
Both teams who made the Grand Final played all 4 final weeks, with the winners coming from seventh. I'm not sure how
the bye was implemented, as I have heard several coaches say they don't like it.
Obviously the coaches of Richmond and Adelaide will have a training plan to keep their teams fresh, but can they overcome
the lack of matches?
Our problem is playing in the second week against our nemesis, the Swans. If we hit some form and can get over them the
confidence should rise.
The problem then is going to Adelaide, personally I believe the prelims should be played at the MCG, however if the one
year of stats after the introduction of the bye stand up again, it could be all good.
I understand that this could all go out of the window very quickly but at the moment it's all I have on which to hang my hat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The time was decided before West Coast won. It was always going to be like this though, as then it creates 7 days between games the following week for both teams, also that they'd rather Gee v Syd on a Friday night than GWS v Port/WCE.

From a selfish point of view though, I wish it were on the Saturday night, as I have tickets to a concert on the Friday night which means I'd have to leave at half time to make it. Going to be a tough call on the night if we're in the contest still at that stage..
Yeah the fixture was already worked out, just not who would play who...anyway, it would be taking the piss making WC play the Friday...

I haven't posted for a while, but I have a couple of observations.
Last year was the first year of the bye after the final round and with only one year of stats obviously things can change.
I made the point to my wife last year ( I can produce her here, for testimonial support)(only) that I thought it was preferable
to lose the first final. In retrospect it seemed less than ideal to have a bye, win the first final and have another bye.
The teams doing that go into the prelim having played one game in a month.
Both teams who made the Grand Final played all 4 final weeks, with the winners coming from seventh. I'm not sure how
the bye was implemented, as I have heard several coaches say they don't like it.
Obviously the coaches of Richmond and Adelaide will have a training plan to keep their teams fresh, but can they overcome
the lack of matches?
Our problem is playing in the second week against our nemesis, the Swans. If we hit some form and can get over them the
confidence should rise.
The problem then is going to Adelaide, personally I believe the prelims should be played at the MCG, however if the one
year of stats after the introduction of the bye stand up again, it could be all good.
I understand that this could all go out of the window very quickly but at the moment it's all I have on which to hang my hat.
The obvious objection many people will raise (me included) is that your prelim solution is heavily skewed in favour of Victorian sides.

I don't see your vision for prelims being implemented anytime soon.

The obvious objection many people will raise (me included) is that your prelim solution is heavily skewed in favour of Victorian sides.

I don't see your vision for prelims being implemented anytime soon.
Your comment deals with what is a secondary observation, what about the main point of top 4 sides winning their first final being disadvantaged in light of the new (2016) bye?

Most of you are borderline bipolar disorder.
Borderline?
Footy can do that to you.
Somehow Friday night, did not get one minute sleep.
Not great for your mental health; but had we won, I possibly still would have been too adrenalised to sleep. Wonder how the players and coaches cope.
But this week, we have the capacity to play better and cause an upset. I'm borderline expecting it.
Menzel to kick the sealer.

Borderline?
Footy can do that to you.
Somehow Friday night, did not get one minute sleep.
Not great for your mental health; but had we won, I possibly still would have been too adrenalised to sleep. Wonder how the players and coaches cope.
But this week, we have the capacity to play better and cause an upset. I'm borderline expecting it.
Menzel to kick the sealer.
You're expecting Geelong to win ... well cut me off at the knees and call me shorty.

You're expecting Geelong to win ... well cut me off at the knees and call me shorty.
I did say borderline....
In fact, about a week ago I said we would probably lose against Tigers and come back to beat our bogey team, it's been that sort of season.
Still possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back