Preview ‪1st SF - Geelong vs Sydney, Friday 15th September, 7:50pm @ MCG ‬

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As thew week wears on and I feel a little more confident in the boys at least giving a good account of themselves this time around.

Last Friday saw us smacked by a team on fire and playing a sustained 4 quarter brand of football rarely seen (yet we seem to cop when it happens). So ok that was bound to happen ... and the Tigers righted the ship after years in the wilderness against us.

We had soooo many players down on the night. A few due to their first final in front of a crowd that was unbelievably skewed towards one team and the biggest QF crowd on record ... the likes of Stewart looked like he did when he played his first pre-season game.

We know we are the Swans bunnies at the moment. Can we do to them what the Tigers did to us? Yes. Yes we can. We have shown it this year how we can come back (after the three losses for example). We need Murdoch to stop being a pussy on the big stage and find the aggro we know he is capable of delivering, we need Menegola/Blicavs to show season form in the finals. Hawkins to take his chances and show he is responsible for the big moments. Motlop ... to well ... maybe a frontal lobotomy would help him pick one option instead of getting confused and just handing it back to an opponent.

We will be better for it, and I am confident the effort will be there this time.

In: Menzel, Buzza
Out: Guthrie, Kolo

At least we don't have any byes left ... that's a positive.

It was the second game in 2009, where we came from 5 goals down in the last quarter, and Bartel kicked the point after the siren.

One of the best games I've seen live. My mate and I were surrounded by very vocal Hawks fans who thought they had the game won. We were very up and about after the Bartel point :)

Last edited:

Switch onto SEN at work if you can......KB has gone with Geelong and 'finals fatigue' in his lead up story.
Very good listening,......some home truths being spoken

So are the swans also finals fatigued? Don't buy that shit from KB at all, we have plenty of guys on our list who have hardly won finals, and haven't tasted the sweet success on GF day. If the board from the top all the way down to the players are 'finals fatigued', then time to make big changes, fresh faces who want to succeed.

I saw Brian Cook has said something similar about our fans.

So are the swans also finals fatigued? Don't buy that shit from KB at all, we have plenty of guys on our list who have hardly won finals, and haven't tasted the sweet success on GF day. If the board from the top all the way down to the players are 'finals fatigued', then time to make big changes, fresh faces who want to succeed.

I saw Brian Cook has said something similar about our fans.
I am talking about supporters......not players.

Well said. Both these guys have been wonderful players. If my mob happen to win, Buddy will be the first to hug Lonergan, our players will be in the guard of honour and our fans will help cheer Mackie and Lonergan off the ground. As someone noted on our Board your club, players and fans showed a lot of support and respect to Goodes in his last year.

Have no doubt your fans will turn up as they always do.
So when you lose you'll be bad sports and walk off the ground without acknowledgement?

So when you lose you'll be bad sports and walk off the ground without acknowledgement?

So if we do lose there will be no need for guards of honour, but I am certain Bud and the others will still make a point of wishing Lonergan and Mackie all the best.

We played the Bombers again 2w later in 89, and at one stage in the last Q, 106 points up, eventually won by 94. Biggest turnaround seen. GAS and Buddha simply superb. Sadly this year, our 2 best- Danger and Joel appear cooked.
Danger cooked? You're having a laff, surely. Oh wait, Joel came off a four week break, I should have realised you weren't serious.

So Geelong supporters have Finals Fatigue ....

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...fans-over-finals-fatigue-20170912-gyg033.html

Geelong chief executive Brian Cook has turned the spotlight on Cats' supporters, questioning whether they are suffering "finals fatigue" after a decade of success.

A crowd of 95,028 at last Friday's qualifying final between Geelong and Richmond at the MCG has been celebrated for the atmosphere it generated, primarily because of the raw emotion of Tigers supporters, with estimates they filled at least 80 per cent of the venue.

The lack of Geelong supporters frustrated club chiefs, particularly as it had been a Cats home game.

Heading into Friday night's cut-throat final against Sydney, Cook hopes the Cats faithful have not become tired of a run of success in which they have won three premierships since 2007 and missed the finals only once.

"I wonder if, after 25 AFL finals since 2007, our supporters are getting finals fatigue or simply expecting to make the finals and win them each year. I would hope not, as it is so difficult to make the AFL finals, let alone the top four and win the premiership," Cook told Fairfax Media on Tuesday.

"Just ask several clubs who would dearly have loved to have played one final in recent years."

The Cats have conducted research into preferred time slots for their supporters, and a Friday night in Melbourne is not favourable because Geelong-based fans have to make the trip up the highway during peak hour, then have a solid trip home late at night. That frustration is exacerbated during finals when traffic congestion is more of an issue.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...fans-over-finals-fatigue-20170912-gyg033.html

Well id say there probably is a fatigue of sorts ... attending games year after year costs money... I for one would have been out of pocket over 300 for last Fri night. Then add the inconvenience of Fri ..its been mentioned over and over that its difficult to do a Fri night . Then add our poor performance since 2011..... I can not remember 1 good final since then ..in a period we have finished in top 4 so often ... so if we have anything... its finals failure fatigue.

So instead of blaming Geelong supporters for their resistance to yet again have their hopes raised ..... instead of words thrown outside the club at the supporters who always have their hands in their pocket... have a look at the guy you just signed up to another 2 years of coaching. If we lose this week we will have a 20% win rate post 2011 in the season that counts ..and no coach would survive that if it was his total cv. The bloated and artificially sweetened results of H&A are being given far too much credit by the ones who are in control.

Last edited:
So Geelong supporters have Finals Fatigue ....

Geelong chief executive Brian Cook has turned the spotlight on Cats' supporters, questioning whether they are suffering "finals fatigue" after a decade of success.

A crowd of 95,028 at last Friday's qualifying final between Geelong and Richmond at the MCG has been celebrated for the atmosphere it generated, primarily because of the raw emotion of Tigers supporters, with estimates they filled at least 80 per cent of the venue.

The lack of Geelong supporters frustrated club chiefs, particularly as it had been a Cats home game.

Heading into Friday night's cut-throat final against Sydney, Cook hopes the Cats faithful have not become tired of a run of success in which they have won three premierships since 2007 and missed the finals only once.

"I wonder if, after 25 AFL finals since 2007, our supporters are getting finals fatigue or simply expecting to make the finals and win them each year. I would hope not, as it is so difficult to make the AFL finals, let alone the top four and win the premiership," Cook told Fairfax Media on Tuesday.

"Just ask several clubs who would dearly have loved to have played one final in recent years."

The Cats have conducted research into preferred time slots for their supporters, and a Friday night in Melbourne is not favourable because Geelong-based fans have to make the trip up the highway during peak hour, then have a solid trip home late at night. That frustration is exacerbated during finals when traffic congestion is more of an issue.

Bugger me. Blaming the fans for not turning up to a terrible timeslot for Geelong based fans, at the opposition's home ground, with the opposition's official Twitter account encouraging oppo fans to use our ticket allocation?

Ticketek being a pile of shit, as usual, doesn't help.

IMHO I don't know that the club are being assertive enough with the AFL regarding scheduling (timeslot, more than location) given it was our 'home' game.

Play it at the MCG, sure, but play it at a time that suits a majority of our fanbase to make up for a lack of actual home ground advantage.

Last edited:
Switch onto SEN at work if you can......KB has gone with Geelong and 'finals fatigue' in his lead up story.
Very good listening,......some home truths being spoken
Such as? KB has lost the plot since the tigers became a genuine hope a few weeks back. He is having a great time talking all sorts of stuff. Entertaining listening but rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such as? KB has lost the plot since the tigers became a genuine hope a few weeks back. He is having a great time talking all sorts of stuff. Entertaining listening but rubbish.
It'll make it all that much sweeter when they choke

It'll make it all that much sweeter when they choke
He is good value though and not too nasty about Geelong. I don't think they will choke. They looked pretty resolved to me the other night. They get a very winnable prelim on their home ground. If they play the good but flakey crows in the GF - well they are a real chance.

Such as????? I'm talking about supporters not players.......but you'd know that if you was actually listening.
Try keeping up

He is good value though and not too nasty about Geelong. I don't think they will choke. They looked pretty resolved to me the other night. They get a very winnable prelim on their home ground. If they play the good but flakey crows in the GF - well they are a real chance.
Can;t stand him. He is a flog of the highest order.

KB lost the plot in the 70's when the rules were changed to stop his cheating on being tackled without the ball. (he used to bounce the ball prior to being tackled)

He never regained the plot and has 'venged on the game ever since.

The Swans board wouldn't know their left foot from their right hand. It's called falsely speculating.
Not that I frequent other boards habitually, but was pleasantly surprised at how low key and respectful they seem to be. Difficult team to dislike, and their supporters at games generally are the antithesis of Tigers supporters.
Obviously can't generalise and there are thousands of decent Tigers fans, but even a mate of mine who went on Friday said he was embarrassed by his clan.

Not that I frequent other boards habitually, but was pleasantly surprised at how low key and respectful they seem to be. Difficult team to dislike, and their supporters at games generally are the antithesis of Tigers supporters.
Obviously can't generalise and there are thousands of decent Tigers fans, but even a mate of mine who went on Friday said he was embarrassed by his clan.
In regards to Dangerfield and Selwood being 'cooked.'

KB is Not a football commentator, he is just another flog Richmond fan.
I may be off the mark here, but after many years of listening to SEN my observations of KB are these:-
KB is not genuinely happy that the Tigers are on top of the world. He will be seething. He has for many years been over the top with their finals chances hoping they would capitulate, and when they have, he has gleefully stuck the boots in. He is a creepy little character who is still bitter about his demise at Tigerland.
I don't trust a word he says about anything to do with Richmond, his overthetopness is a cover for him hoping they continually fail.

Last edited:
In regards to Dangerfield and Selwood being 'cooked.'
Just how they appeared on Friday night.
Has Danger fully recovered from his own midfoot, his hip?
Has Selwood recovered?
These 2 players are clearly pivotal for our potency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back