AFL Player #10: Sam Weideman

Remove this Banner Ad

No Reid, Baldwin and Hunter on the park ruined any chance we had a building decent key position depth. So as much as I hate the idea of Weid staying on. He kinda has to as the break the glass type. I’d rather go offer Adelaide Himmleberg or Howard some money for a year or 2. But ultimately I’m hoping we are picking up a key position player or 2 in this years draft and Reid sorts his body out, so we can move on from Weid and Lav end of 25
Tomlinson from Melbourne would be a cheap get but he is nothing flash either. Maybe better than Weid for depth but then he wants to leave for better opportunities. Like you say if we keep Weideman for 1 more he is a guy who if we get to him we are pretty much in trouble anyway so he fills a hole until the end of 2025. Hopefully it is Hayes stepping up so we do not need to be playing Lav or Weid.

Baldwin has at least managed to get on the park previously. Reid and Hunter not so much.
Previously was two seasons ago now. Lets face it he came to us off the back of injury issues anyway.

Make a good country footballer.
I was just thinking this. He'd kill it in a BFL or CHFL.

Anyway I think it's important to remember that this guy came to us for pretty much nothing, whilst a highly touted junior it's clear now that he's not AFL standard. Holding onto him for another year seems strange to me however perhaps it'll be purely a depth thing but I'd wager he'll be moved on.

Players like Weid (and Kelly, and Lav) are ideal depth players and in theory I wouldn't have any issue with keeping them on the list and having them in the VFL ready to go if/when injury strikes our preferred 22. Unfortunately I just don't trust us to be able to resist the temptation to play them because they're there, so I want them gone. Save us from ourselves.

A back up need to be able to get on the ground. The only bloke you can back up if you are injured a lot is the next bloke in the rehab group. Baldwin looked okay but your depth / backup needs to be durable as well otherwise it is pointless.
Moot point now and I’m ok with moving on list cloggers but with a navicular injury Baldwin should be fit and ready for selection round 1, 2025?

Zero point keeping a guy who has proven he is not AFL standard.

Replace him with one someone who may be AFL standard. If they aren’t then you end up in the same position but at least you have some potential upside against that list spot. Keeping him just burns that list spot.
He was decent as a defender. I’m not fussed either way but I could understand it if the club gave him a year

Replace him with one someone who may be AFL standard. If they aren’t then you end up in the same position but at least you have some potential upside against that list spot. Keeping him just burns that list spot.
That is the problem. Who is AFL standard ? The list spot we are talking about ends up being a draft pick at 60 plus that has a 20% chance at playing maybe 50 games and has to get two years or a DFA or someone who does not get drafted and trains over summer. I am not sure there is a real win in it either way.

Moot point now and I’m ok with moving on list cloggers but with a navicular injury Baldwin should be fit and ready for selection round 1, 2025?
That's what we said at the end of last year. Should be ready for round 1.

That is the problem. Who is AFL standard ? The list spot we are talking about ends up being a draft pick at 60 plus that has a 20% chance at playing maybe 50 games and has to get two years or a DFA or someone who does not get drafted and trains over summer. I am not sure there is a real win in it either way.
Some hack SSP, like Martin.

Baldwin has at least managed to get on the park previously. Reid and Hunter not so much.
Indeed he has played decent patches - the other guys you mention struggled for years to string 3 games in a row. Baldwin would have been a leader down back that we needed - had footy brains. Scott waited forever last year to play him then in the last match he got knocked out 3 minutes in. Smells of Essington calamity incoming. As someone else mentioned if it was a well run club you would assume it is because his foot is in bad shape but with us you can't make that assumption.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree about upgrading Weid but I don’t consider his spot on the list a wasted spot. We normally have the mature aged swing man on the list. Mckernan, Stewarts.

Same as we have a spot for a mature age ruck. I’d just wish they’d move on from guys like Weid after the first deal and go the next

season 5 GIF

Maybe they find a KPD? Maybe they don't. How does keeping Weideman solve it?
Stops us from having to play Menzie as a KPD when Reid and Ridley get injured again.

To clarify Weideman doesn't actually have a contract yet, and everyone is arguing over the hypothetical that he does?

Also we've already got 5 players going out, with a bunch more without contracts, and a limited amount of draft picks. I don't think Weideman having a contract or not will decide whether we have a train-on spot for an SSP.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #10: Sam Weideman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back