Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done No-So-Long-Anymore-Luke

It’s like telling the batsmen not to hook the ball, as you keep getting caught on the boundary. He clearly looked to have followed instructions to keep the kicks in the 20-25 range and stick the handballs.

Did some courageous spoils and played his role down back. Hopefully he and his team mates get a collective lift in confidence to do it again this weekend. He’ll get a resting Heeney, or Hayward I am expecting.

Well done No-So-Long-Anymore-Luke

It’s like telling the batsmen not to hook the ball, as you keep getting caught on the boundary. He clearly looked to have followed instructions to keep the kicks in the 20-25 range and stick the handballs.

Did some courageous spoils and played his role down back. Hopefully he and his team mates get a collective lift in confidence to do it again this weekend. He’ll get a resting Heeney, or Hayward I am expecting.
Heeney should be resting in the coaches box but I suspect the Swans will appeal and he'll have the charge downgraded.

different player when he sticks to kicking it short and finding a target. Exactly what he did in his syd winning year. More of that please.

Saw blokes not kick to him, and blokes ignore his flailing hi 5 ..... currently listening to BOC ..... the Reaper is on his way Luke ... hope you're good at folding nappies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In isolation It wasnt to much worse than sheezels.
Difference being that at least we could see who HS was trying to kick to. The other bloke just kicked it into the middle of the back yard ...

That turnover in the last was one of the worst kicks I’ve ever seen.

Both in execution and decision making.
What, even worse than Sheezels? People have selective memories around here.
In isolation It wasnt to much worse than sheezels.

I'm sure TennisPlayerAndy was just as diligent in posting in the Sheezel, Wardlaw, and McKercher threads about their worst kicks ever in the same game. Not to mention Larkey missing back-to-back set shot sodas from directly in front. Or Tom Powell missing a handball. As for Luke, I thought the consensus was that we didn't want him kicking long anymore and that he had to spot up short targets. Be careful what you wish for I suppose.

I'm sure TennisPlayerAndy was just as diligent in posting in the Sheezel, Wardlaw, and McKercher threads about their worst kicks ever in the same game. Not to mention Larkey missing back-to-back set shot sodas from directly in front. Or Tom Powell missing a handball. As for Luke, I thought the consensus was that we didn't want him kicking long anymore and that he had to spot up short targets. Be careful what you wish for I suppose.
Most of those guys are 19 or 20. And upside and their good>>>>>>>bad. Lmac is meant to be our leader, is the captain and turning over where he did is programmed in to every defender as a never error. Never. He does s;;(t like this every week.
We were bullied - what did he do to respond? Turn it over, shrug a fair bit, give “instructions”, give away frees and look confused.
Is he better and does he offer more than archer, fisher, sheezel? No. Tucker gets it way more and has been pretty solid last month. Is versatile. Scott runs and links and is way more effective - errors included.
hardiman looks better on exposed form tbh and has upside.
So why is he still in the side? And has another TWO years of contract on top $$$. He cannot and will not get a lot better if he is locked in every week for at least next 2 years. And he cant play anywhere else - oppo sides will keep playing through him - isolating him in front of goal - already happens every week- using his player at f50 stoppages and letting him get the ball.
He had a couple of good efforts last week - but its so rare and bad>>>>>>good.

This guy is no longer surplus to requirements.

Change my mind.
Has earned his place in the team with some better performances over the last few weeks. Good to see him keeping things simple; short kicks, no long bombs, some strong marks etc.

However if by this time next year if we haven't replaced him with one of Goater, Bergman or Hardeman in our best 22 then our improvement will have stagnated.

This guy is no longer surplus to requirements.

Change my mind.
Actually rate his role currently. Kind of like a good umpire, if you don’t notice him he’s doing a great job.

Has been physical when he needs to be and has set the example for the better, talented juniors around him. He’s never going to be Brendon Goddard and pump out rebounds, but he’s been significantly better along with most the group recently.

Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back