Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

For those in the know, what are academy FS picks looking like next year? Pies have a FS any others looking likely?

It will make it interesting with the new points system coming in and needing more points to match.
You know Luke's share price is rock bottom when the mocking stops and people are posting completely off topic.

This is the exact time of the year he earns his stripes as a captain...

I wonder what he has planned for the boys on Mad Monday?

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
If his only job is organise end of year piss ups then his Fu:kit .
If this club is serious then he should pulled in to Clarkson office next week and be told no longer captain and told his no longer an automatic selection next year.
But we all know this won’t happen.

If his only job is organise end of year piss ups then his Fu:kit .
If this club is serious then he should pulled in to Clarkson office next week and be told no longer captain and told his no longer an automatic selection next year.
But we all know this won’t happen.
He was at a Trinity event last night as a guest speaker.

His parting words were straight from Seinfeld.

‘Remember kids. It’s not a lie…if you believe it.’

Actually, while I'm posting in Luke's thread I think his second half of the year has been a lot better. Less WTF moments and more just doing his job to a better standard.

However, he was coming off a very low base.
It has certainly been a lot better but there have been crucial moments later in the year that I think let the team down.

Luke's role in the team is a placeholder for a better-younger player. Hardeman and Goater will be a huge upgrade.

As much as Luke's 1v1 work is good, it's not a good way to play footy. Clarko and pretty much the rest of the comp know that playing 1v1 isn't sustainable. It guarantees that opposition simply has to react quickly enough to a player getting sucked in and it's an easy goal. By zoning and getting numbers behind the ball, that stops the leaky goals and increases your chances of winning the ball back. We have seen a dominant team in Geelong do it, we saw the Dogs do it plenty and slaughtered us in the process last week.

Zoning and pressing is the formula these days and footballers of Lmac's ability are becoming extinct. Lmac has shown he cannot hit targets consistently and rarely knows how to defend properly in a different setup that isn't 1v1.

Archer has shown how to do the 1v1 basics very well but has also shown how to zone off and intercept already even though he is inexperienced. Same with Comben.

You need your Darcy Moore's and Isaac Quaynor's that can read the play so well.

Leaving the chances of a W or L in the hands of a defender to get a fingertip in a 1v1 contest as opposed to getting 3-4 blokes to kill the contest instead, which would you choose?

1v1 battles still do happen, but it shouldn't be the game style a backline plays for 120 minutes. It's actually a more risky style that relies completely on instinct and instinct can make mistakes as we've seen.

Comben's role is to get hands on the footy before it hits the pack. But there needs to be numbers in case he doesn't do the job properly as shown in the last few weeks.

Blowing a 54-point lead against Collingwood doesn't happen often and only does because the team is stuck with equal numbers across the ground. We've seen this story so many times even during the Brad days. How many leads were lost because our structures were so poorly implemented?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has certainly been a lot better but there have been crucial moments later in the year that I think let the team down.

Luke's role in the team is a placeholder for a better-younger player. Hardeman and Goater will be a huge upgrade.

As much as Luke's 1v1 work is good, it's not a good way to play footy. Clarko and pretty much the rest of the comp know that playing 1v1 isn't sustainable. It guarantees that opposition simply has to react quickly enough to a player getting sucked in and it's an easy goal. By zoning and getting numbers behind the ball, that stops the leaky goals and increases your chances of winning the ball back. We have seen a dominant team in Geelong do it, we saw the Dogs do it plenty and slaughtered us in the process last week.

Zoning and pressing is the formula these days and footballers of Lmac's ability are becoming extinct. Lmac has shown he cannot hit targets consistently and rarely knows how to defend properly in a different setup that isn't 1v1.

Archer has shown how to do the 1v1 basics very well but has also shown how to zone off and intercept already even though he is inexperienced. Same with Comben.

You need your Darcy Moore's and Isaac Quaynor's that can read the play so well.
Ditto for Lever and May.

I wouldn’t be forcing him into retirement, but I’d definitely be removing him from the leadership group. Give him the freedom to play 12 months without the additional expectations on his shoulders
I would be more satisfied to see some younger players forcing him into the magoos however here we are last game of the season wirh a modest injury toll yet there are no clear candidates to push him out of the side. Depth needs to be addressed and not with blokes like biggie.

I’m going to put it into bard that he ****ed the development of potential mids in Atley and McDonald by making them develop absolutely nothing at half back for their careers

Just watching back his 2021 season. Has lost a heap of pace and his disposal was totally different.

Was prepared to take on more dangerous and direct kicks. Completely lost that confidence.

Just watching back his 2021 season. Has lost a heap of pace and his disposal was totally different.

Was prepared to take on more dangerous and direct kicks. Completely lost that confidence.
Watching 3 year old LMac highlights might be the sickest thing anyone has admitted to doing on this forum.

I’m going to put it into bard that he ****ed the development of potential mids in Atley and McDonald by making them develop absolutely nothing at half back for their careers
He was not good pre 2020 either. Had an out of the box year in 2020. Good on him but every other year has been below average to poor. Thats the reality. And the contracts for him and jy are killing us and will continue to - neither are best 22 atm. Definitely shouldnt be next year. And they are sucking up critical minutes that we should be putting in to others. The terrible reality is that they are our two captains in middle of long contracts and we couldnt give either away with added $$$. Does anyone think we could trade them?? If they were delisted, neither would be picked up i think. And thats a centre square mid and backline “general” in our side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back