Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive copped bigger knocks in my life than Jy has ever had on a football field. He is the Atypical player to plead for a pay out. I think thats in him.. 100%

Nah, you can say what you want about Jy’s on field inconsistencies but you can’t pot the bloke for his commitment to the club and his love for the club.

He is 100% not the type that you are alluding to here.

Starting to come round to the sink or swim solo captaincy thing. Obviously it's precarious with his injury history, but the alternative is Parker or Sheezel, and I don't like the idea of making either of them the official Messiah at the moment. Sheezel knows best, and he says he's not ready, and we don't want to risk a 2023 Tom Jonas with Parker before we've seen how he goes on the field. (Junk-time goals in a GF don't count, aside from showing he can still kick a goal from 45). Jy already knows what it's like to have done heavy lifting and still has tons of good football in him as long as his brain isn't mashed any further

The problem is, does Jy Simpkin really understand what's required to be a Captain of a side capable of competing in finals.

If you believe so, who would he have learnt this from?

Last edited:
Some of you blokes are just completely disrespectful.

Suggesting his concussions are a result of feather hits, that he is a mess - how the hell would you know.

And who are you to judge what the definition of a mess is?

Look under the hood at your own lives.

The bloke gives 100 percent and has worked hard enough at his craft to be an AFL Captain.

It’s time to back off and just let the bloke do the best he can - which he does - and allow the club to grow with him being part of it.

It’s actually embarrassing reading some of the rubbish on here.

If that was your son being spoken about, I’d imagine you’d be losing your breakfast.

The problem is, does Jy Simpkin really understand what's required to be a Captain of a side capable of competing in finals.

If you believe so, who would he have learnt this from?
Maybe, maybe not. He emerged as a leader without having seen much by way senior support, was easily in our three or four most important players through the Noble years right up until the concussion against Essendon, and works harder than almost all of his teammates. I think, when you imagine someone kicking a team-lifting goal and getting their teammates up and about, he's one of the blokes who comes to mind first. Sheezel would be my first thought, but aside from him, Jy's up there. I just think there's real leadership potential within him and it's time to take the gamble. No more diffused responsibility. Imagine if he successfully absorbs pressure as a standalone leader whilst the rest of them get better around him (including Sheezel, who I think will be ready for the captaincy by the start of 2028). It's a better ultimate outcome than Parker captaining the side for a year or two in a move that screams out 'we don't trust any of you blokes to captain this club,' and then handing over to someone who's taken on that messaging. Parker absolutely has a role to play as a leader who's seen a successful environment, but it's not as the figurehead imo. Have a vice-captain duo that combines two of Parker, Larkey and Sheezel, in case Simpkin gets his head smashed in again, and a contingency plan in place for who's going to be the main leader if that outcome does eventuate.

We really need to be taking risks within the club. We know now that our scenario is not normal, that no team has been as shit as we have with the quality of players we have (unbalanced and still with placeholders, but ultimately a list that other perennial wooden spoon teams would swap for theirs in a heartbeat). They need to be fearless, and part of that involves jumping into things that are a chance of being beyond capability. Something still stinks to high heaven at the club, and I suspect it's mainly going to be a combination of seemingly minor alterations that changes that, if said stink is actually changeable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Players pick the Captain and unless this changes, and they vote in Parker who they don’t know, let alone played a game with him, will say more about the backbone of this playing group than it says about Jy, or (LMac for that matter.)
That might change, under clarksons rule in the past, IIRC players didn’t pick the captains. I think Jy retains the captaincy even though i’d make the orange witches hat on the arden st oval 50 a captain before him. He still captains the club next season

Some of you blokes are just completely disrespectful.

Suggesting his concussions are a result of feather hits, that he is a mess - how the hell would you know.

And who are you to judge what the definition of a mess is?

Look under the hood at your own lives.

The bloke gives 100 percent and has worked hard enough at his craft to be an AFL Captain.

It’s time to back off and just let the bloke do the best he can - which he does - and allow the club to grow with him being part of it.

It’s actually embarrassing reading some of the rubbish on here.

If that was your son being spoken about, I’d imagine you’d be losing your breakfast.
This forum is a strange mix of unhinged character assassinations and nice people. And I think most of us manage to be both at different times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 21/22 SBM - 23/24 CoCapt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back