Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, I've removed about three pages of posts.

Please do not use this thread to speculate about Oliver's private life – medical or otherwise.

Regardless of the veracity of your rumour, or what you know/have heard, if it's not public knowledge, just don't post it.

I don't want to turn this place into Demonland, but if you can't see the potential harm that this sort of rumour-spreading can cause (regardless of your intentions), then perhaps it's best if you take a bit of a break.

Thanks.

All we heard in 2021 was how cohesive and selfless the group was.
LOLLLLLL this shit just went straight outta the ****ing window as soon they'd got back to the hotel after the grand final.

Annoys the shit out of me, all this "We built the best culture!!!" and a few months later literal brawls in a goddamn french restaurant lol.

Excuse the intrusion.

I suspect Melbourne has no intention of letting Oliver go. As many posters on here have said, he is a jet and in the prime of his career, having just signed for 7 years.

I believe MFC are happy to leave the story hanging and entertain discussions with clubs to fire a warning shot over Oliver to get his act together - been done before.

Anyways good luck with the trade period

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

trying to think of players that got the arse from a club for off field issues and really killed it at their new club/made their old club look stupid. I can't think of any?
Stengle maybe? Hogan from Freo ;)

Nvm Sandra sully with the late news over here

LOLLLLLL this s*t just went straight outta the ****** window as soon they'd got back to the hotel after the grand final.

Annoys the s**t out of me, all this "We built the best culture!!!" and a few months later literal brawls in a goddamn french restaurant lol.

No Vanders no culture

Think there's 0 chance of this happening now. You don't try and scare someone straight you're done with. Been a fun ride but reckon it'll be another boring trade period
As soon as I read Oliver wanted to come back into the fold it was over.

If it pays off you end up with a better teammate and player. If it doesn't we can always trade him for a future fourth next year.

If it doesn't we can always trade him for a future fourth next year.

Exactly what im scared of. I very much hope it works cause if it doesnt we are getting sweet FA next year like you said.

Exactly what im scared of. I very much hope it works cause if it doesnt we are getting sweet FA next year like you said.
Unless we're just saying Oliver has promised to be a good boy so his trade value isn't diminished. :sneaky:

As soon as I read Oliver wanted to come back into the fold it was over.

If it pays off you end up with a better teammate and player. If it doesn't we can always trade him for a future fourth next year.
Ugh so boring. Now we'll trade in Wines and aim for 90 inside 50s a game

There's Edmund's piece on radio

If you take that at face value Oliver can go and get ****ed. He's 26 years old and he's pissed away a season acting like a ****ing moron while we're in the middle of a premiership window. Got people on the board crying that we might lose him because of how good he is and doesn't even show respect to his teammates. Bloke can piss off to Adelaide for all I care, to have your captain need to offer to look after you like a troubled 16 year old is a bloody joke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you take that at face value Oliver can go and get ed. He's 26 years old and he's pissed away a season acting like a *** moron while we're in the middle of a premiership window. Got people on the board crying that we might lose him because of how good he is and doesn't even show respect to his teammates. Bloke can piss off to Adelaide for all I care, to have your captain need to offer to look after you like a troubled 16 year old is a bloody joke

We only get one shot to trade him for something good. Like I said, if trust is broken so far that we need Gawn and his family to watch over him I think trade him is the call. Decent chance this blows up in our face this time next year.

We only get one shot to trade him for something good. Like I said, if trust is broken so far that we need Gawn and his family to watch over him I think trade him is the call. Decent chance this blows up in our face this time next year.
Oh I'm completely off the campaigner now he can **** off. If all that's true it's not a floating for trade anymore I want him gone.

Looking more like a foot up the backside at this stage.

If Goodwin does have his own issues off field, it’s a significant problem having a coach who can’t get his own house in order to relay this message than someone who’s squeaky clean, like say a Flea McCrae, Chris Scott or Nathan Buckley.

Lot of cracks have now appeared post GF win. Hubris, discipline issues. Easy to blame the individual players but who truly sets the tone - your coach and to a lesser extent your captain. It’s a worry.

Looking more like a foot up the backside at this stage.

If Goodwin does have his own issues off field, it’s a significant problem having a coach who can’t get his own house in order to relay this message than someone who’s squeaky clean, like say a Flea McCrae, Chris Scott or Nathan Buckley.

Lot of cracks have now appeared post GF win. Hubris, discipline issues. Easy to blame the individual players but who truly sets the tone - your coach and to a lesser extent your captain. It’s a worry.
No other player is having board meetings about them in public. Blaming goody for this is hilarious. Clayton Oliver is a rolled gold ****ing dick head and you should be way more pissed off at him for costing us a chance at a flag. Can't all row together when one w***er is doing his own thing

From Herald Sun:

Clayton Oliver has told Melbourne he wants to stay and Melbourne is open to Oliver staying as a potential trade out de-escalates.

Crisis meetings in the past 48 hours, which included an update to the board at a meeting on Wednesday night, have detailed the positions of the club and Oliver and his management.

Those meetings included coach Simon Goodwin, chief executive Gary Pert and general manager of football performance Alan Richardson.

The club wants the three-time best and fairest winner to remain, but wants a commitment from Oliver to improve his professionalism and to continue to address some significant mental health concerns.

The professionalism component reared its head this season after a series of personal and injury issues confronted the 25-year-old.

The mental health issues have been on-going and the club has worked tirelessly to help Oliver in recent seasons.

In turn, Oliver has indicated he is prepared to address and where he can improve in those areas.

Oliver arrived late for his exit meeting with Goodwin in the post-season in a condition that concerned Goodwin.

The club has put its arm around Oliver many times and wants Oliver to understand that the best relationships work both ways.

He is a much-loved figure, but the Demons in a sense have put their foot down, and told him he has to meet the expectations or look elsewhere.

It’s a powerful stance from the club as it sets about addressing a season which bombed out with successive losses in September.

However, talks of trade have diminished in the past 24 hours.

The bombshell revelations that clubs believe Oliver is gettable still remains, although the willingness of both parties to work towards a solution is encouraging.

Rival clubs have become more aware in recent days of Oliver challenges and are becoming less confident a trade will occur

Yeah, well the cats out of the bag now, it's ruined any decent trade value it would seem. What a cluster ****. No win situation. Forced to keep him and try and make it work cause we likely aren't getting anything worthwhile

We seriously need to bring Vanders back as an overseer of everything, sort of like Leopold to SuperNintendo Chalmers in the Simpsons, let him smash some campaigners. Whip this place into shape.

No other player is having board meetings about them in public. Blaming goody for this is hilarious. Clayton Oliver is a rolled gold ******* dick head and you should be way more pissed off at him for costing us a chance at a flag. Can't all row together when one w***er is doing his own thing

You’re never going to have 40 perfectly contented and psychologically stable souls in a sporting club. Some young men occasionally lose their way, go off the rails, develop attitude problems, depression and so on.

A strong club wraps its arms around the wayward ones and does ALL it can to bring them back into the fold and help get their head right. I see similarities with Dustin Martin, Dane Swan and a few others of this type who, like Clarry, were flawed geniuses who were eventually able to be reigned in by their clubs and brought to heel under team rules and guidelines.

Not everyone’s a saint. However, in terms of those leading, coaching and governing the club you’d want to make damn sure there aren’t any sinners. Because that sh1t seeps down into the playing group like poison. The fish ALWAYS rots at the head.

Where is Trac in all this? Werent he and Clarry best friends? Cant imagine Trac being a party kid he always strikes me as the most professional bloke going around. Surprised his mates at the club havent reigned him in... :unamused:
How do you know they haven't tried to confront him. Being childhood friends doesn't mean anything after a while, maybe at 20 they were closer but mid to late 20s usually you settle down by then. Clearly Oliver hasn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back