AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't comment much but read nearly everything on here and have done for a long time. Really poor comments made about the kid lately, showed glimpses over the last two games, some strong tackling and some good attack in the air, some good ball use and somewhat starting to find his feet, at times it's been patchy. Has come off a back injury which has a massive effect on your whole body, ability to train and confidence. He won't be fit enough to impact games as we'd hope due to this in 2023. One of the biggest problems being an Essendon supporter is Essendon's supporters.
I don't think anyone was expecting to just slot in and impact games, but a willingness to compete is the minimum expectation. He's not up to it and many have agreed he should be in the VFL at the moment. And I think most are hoping he can have a solid preseason and do unicorn things again down the track. Only one person that I recall unequivocally said he was giving away his bandwagon ticket.

I don't think anyone was expecting to just slot in and impact games, but a willingness to compete is the minimum expectation. He's not up to it and many have agreed he should be in the VFL at the moment. And I think most are hoping he can have a solid preseason and do unicorn things again down the track. Only one person that I recall unequivocally said he was giving away his bandwagon ticket.
Many posters agreed he should be in VFL holds no weight at all. I agree he picks and chooses when to go but that may be a confidence and conditioning thing, one thing I do know is he hasn't been able to do any work in the gym or in the track whilst recovering from a back injury. They need to get games into the kid to battle harden his body, build confidence and are doing the right thing. Supporters need to temper their expectations and stop the unicorn sh$% it's just nonsense.

Quotes from his RSN interview yesterday;

"Coming from (junior football) I’d never had any injuries at all, so it was a bit of a shock and took a lot of work. To stay disciplined and do all the things I needed to do was tough. It’s hard when you just love footy so much and you want to be out there, it’s great to be finally back and I’m excited about what we can start to produce. We’ve got a great medical team at the club who are all really upbeat and keep you in good spirits, which is what you need."
"I like to keep (my versatility as my strength), and you obviously want to get some continuity in a spot, but whatever I’m required to do in the team which helps me play a role, I’m happy to do. Whether it’s down back or in the midfield, I really don’t mind, but I spent most of my juniors down back, so I probably feel most comfortable there."
"There is belief in our group that our best can match it with anyone, it’s just a matter of doing it more consistently. Being a ten-out-of-ten football team is what we’re aiming for, producing those matches as much as we can. The reality is we’re in the hunt, we’re where we want to be. ‘Scotty’ does love to fire you up, he’s good at motivating you, (there’s) no doubt he’ll have something to get us going."

Many posters agreed he should be in VFL holds no weight at all. I agree he picks and chooses when to go but that may be a confidence and conditioning thing, one thing I do know is he hasn't been able to do any work in the gym or in the track whilst recovering from a back injury. They need to get games into the kid to battle harden his body, build confidence and are doing the right thing. Supporters need to temper their expectations and stop the unicorn sh$% it's just nonsense.
Um, you literally have written that Cox "Has come off a back injury which has a massive effect on your whole body ability to train and confidence." Yep, good reason to build through the VFL.

"He won't be fit enough to impact games as we'd hope due to this in 2023." Yep, another good reason to build through the VFL, so actually, that point of view absolutely holds weight.

Ironically, the two viewpoints you've given hold more weight collectively than Nik Cox's body does, and they're your arguments. That's quite something.

And yes, he does pick and choose when to go, and I get that that's because he lacks confidence in his body. Now, given that we're still a chance for finals, and Scott has said numerous times that playing finals is the goal, wouldn't it be wise to play the guy who "hasn't been able to do any work in the gym or in the track whilst recovering from a back injury" in the VFL?

Wouldn't that be a more appropriate standard of competition at the moment for him to "get games into the kid to battle harden his body" and "build confidence"?

He's been selected recently because we've lacked connection between the arcs and Cox has the height to mark the ball. It's also been pretty clear, though, that he's not entirely ready and has possibly come back to the top level too soon.

That he should play in the VFL at the moment is therefore entirely reasonable, and actually is an excellent example of supporters tempering their expectations.

If he gets his body right, I have confidence that he could do some "unicorn sh$%" once again. He has that potential.

I think that puts paid to your melty nonsense. You good now?

Um, you literally have written that Cox "Has come off a back injury which has a massive effect on your whole body ability to train and confidence." Yep, good reason to build through the VFL.

"He won't be fit enough to impact games as we'd hope due to this in 2023." Yep, another good reason to build through the VFL, so actually, that point of view absolutely holds weight.

Ironically, the two viewpoints you've given hold more weight collectively than Nik Cox's body does, and they're your arguments. That's quite something.

And yes, he does pick and choose when to go, and I get that that's because he lacks confidence in his body. Now, given that we're still a chance for finals, and Scott has said numerous times that playing finals is the goal, wouldn't it be wise to play the guy who "hasn't been able to do any work in the gym or in the track whilst recovering from a back injury" in the VFL?

Wouldn't that be a more appropriate standard of competition at the moment for him to "get games into the kid to battle harden his body" and "build confidence"?

He's been selected recently because we've lacked connection between the arcs and Cox has the height to mark the ball. It's also been pretty clear, though, that he's not entirely ready and has possibly come back to the top level too soon.

That he should play in the VFL at the moment is therefore entirely reasonable, and actually is an excellent example of supporters tempering their expectations.

If he gets his body right, I have confidence that he could do some "unicorn sh$%" once again. He has that potential.

He played VFL we have had ¼ of our list playing and are getting flogged, won’t help him, potentially detrimental to his development - He needs to be played at AFL level and get games and development into him in the big time- Along the lines of what they are doing.

If we had a full list playing and competition for spots was hot you might have a point but I dare say he would still be getting a game in some capacity as he is seen as a big part of our future.

Attacking the kid again these are just junk comments from a grown man from behind a computer screen.

Not with the injuries we have had and our lack of depth, how does getting pumped in the VFL help a good kid and potentially a big part of our future? Who you bringing in? There are many plusses to playing the kid – Not many languishing in VFL.

Our lack of connection is moving the ball from half back – Our forward line particularly Half Forward is our biggest problem and has been for some time, slow ball movement from half back not honouring leads from forwards also has been part of the problem. It’s improved.

Who are you bringing in???? Just don’t play Cox??? Don’t list players who are now ready to come back from injury – List them over the last four weeks!

Potentially but that’s a dirty word in professional sport isn’t it – The big P word!

Un-bunch your panties!

He played VFL we have had ¼ of our list playing and are getting flogged, won’t help him, potentially detrimental to his development - He needs to be played at AFL level and get games and development into him in the big time- Along the lines of what they are doing.

If we had a full list playing and competition for spots was hot you might have a point but I dare say he would still be getting a game in some capacity as he is seen as a big part of our future.

Attacking the kid again these are just junk comments from a grown man from behind a computer screen.

Not with the injuries we have had and our lack of depth, how does getting pumped in the VFL help a good kid and potentially a big part of our future? Who you bringing in? There are many plusses to playing the kid – Not many languishing in VFL.

Our lack of connection is moving the ball from half back – Our forward line particularly Half Forward is our biggest problem and has been for some time, slow ball movement from half back not honouring leads from forwards also has been part of the problem. It’s improved.

Who are you bringing in???? Just don’t play Cox??? Don’t list players who are now ready to come back from injury – List them over the last four weeks!

Potentially but that’s a dirty word in professional sport isn’t it – The big P word!

Un-bunch your panties!

So the difference in our opinions here is in terms of his development; I don't see the sense in pummelling his body and confidence playing the top level of football, where he has clearly been found wanting. IMO, he currently needs to find confidence in his body at VFL level. You think he needs to develop his ability at AFL level. To me, his physical resilience needs to underpin that. How you can ignore your own quote, that his injury has had "a massive effect on your whole body ability to train and confidence.", frankly, is bewildering.

Okay, so Ridley gets injured and Cox gets a backline role. Was he needed there? No, because Baldwin was available but initially overlooked. Interestingly, Baldwin reportedly was tearing up the VFL, so your suggestion that the players can't develop there is rubbish - but I digress. Cox is then pushed onto a wing, but he's not needed there either; Martin and Durham have been doing fine, but Marto was pushed forward - he didn't need to be and Cox could have continued to develop in the VFL, where reportedly he wasn't exactly flying. I agree though, he is a big part of our future.

"Attacking"?! What hyperbolic rubbish. I was clearly mucking around with you. Cox is skinny and his physical development appears negligible, and of course I understand that's because he's been injured. It was more a comment on the quality of your post. It was a junk post though. My apologies. I'll be more careful replying to you in future.

Again, Balders was available. Cox didn't need to play. IMO, developing in the VFL isn't languishing unless you're beating the door down. If anything, it was Baldwin who was languishing, as demonstrated by his performance against North.

I agree with this, except for whether it's improved. The excellent article someone posted from the ABC yesterday/today suggests otherwise if I'm remembering correctly. I'm hoping either Cox or Jones helps us fix that, or Cox can develop into a tall back. I don't like him on a wing.

I've answered this question sufficiently. Easy with the punctuation marks there. Unbunch those panties and stop yelling at me Devon.

Yes, everyone likes potential. It gives hope. Even you like potential. You might recall these insights; "He played VFL we have had ¼ of our list playing and are getting flogged, won’t help him, potentially detrimental to his development"
"...how does getting pumped in the VFL help a good kid and potentially a big part of our future?"
I'm actually not even sure what your issue is with that word, so I remain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked like he had half an idea of what to do in the back half. When he was in the wing he was just running in circles and not looking like he would get a touch .

that dropped mark early on made me lose hope in him as a player.

uncontested, surrounded by teammates, and he elects go drop a risky mark instead of take a safe chest mark.

terrible decision making, can’t see a contract extension in his future

Looks at his best as a rebounding defender. Problem is he’s a total liability when the ball hits the deck in his vicinity, which we can’t afford to have.

Has had a couple of shocking drops in the last couple of weeks but it’s proof of concept for him as a key back, I would have thought we didn’t need more proof but I guess this just rams it home.

Looks adept as a back shoulder defender for leading forwards, is super agile as far as key talls go and neat skills off both sides by hand and foot.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back