AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

People keep saying 'play the kids!!' and we've done exactly that with Perkins and Cox and they're not clearly better for it.
it’s almost as if people don’t have a ****ing clue what they’re talking about and there’s a bit more to coaching a struggling side than “playing the kids”

6 foot 7 winger. You've got to have one of those.
Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

Not sure people expext that.............Dont think asking for Cox not be a complete cat is asking alot...
Also people who think he will be better with a bit of weight added are in for a shock, he is as uncompetitive as Wedeman and ADJ which is saying a lot.

No one expects him to crash and bash just put your head over the ball and compete...

He had his perfect match up on the weekend and had his pants pulled down, his opponent who weighed roughly the same wanted to fight any Essendon player in sight whilst our Cox was recovering from punching himself in the head, you can't make that up....

I'm still on his bandwagon, I expect 2 more years of inconsistent footy, I'd keep sending him up. I hope he gets another 40 games in over 2025/26. Build baby giraffe.
into an adolescent giraffe?

No hate to Cox/Reid, it's not their fault, but if you have a tall that requires that much time and is that far away from being physically developed, don't draft them in the first round. There are too many variables before you even find out if they can develop the required build, let alone play.

The reality is the vast majority of KPP that have made it, have been good or at least physically capable of not being bullied early in their careers.
Agree with this . Dangerous territory to spend first round picks on guys who need to put on 20kg . Cox looks like he will not have an AFL body until he is 25 or 26 if at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually I think it was as simple as deciding that a 200cm utility with good athleticism and a decent kick is something fairly useful to have around
That is the long and short of it. Took a punt on his combined height / mobility / ability to kick the footy on both sides.
Have to admit I fell for it as well . Should have been very weary of the very small sample size although I was always thinking intercept defender along the lines of Ridley .
Other clubs had him rated a little further back from what I hear . More in the 14 to 20 range. As ydc55 says he was a player without any real position.
Some say if he had a full under 18 season he would not have been rated as high.
The thing for me that I picked up last year that has turned me the other way is he just lacks a competitive edge. There where games in the VFL when he came back from injury where he was running to spots where he was not going to get the footy.
Has shown signs this year that he still has something but sometimes when he does attack the footy it looks like it is a chore for him to do it.
For mine he is basically an outside flanker. Forget his height. If I was to be really cruel I would say 200cm Tom Cutler.

aka 'best available'
Problem with that draft was with no footy in Vic other than the early practice games no one really knew who best available actually was.

Problem with that draft was with no footy in Vic other than the early practice games no one really knew who best available actually was.
Yeah it's hard to be too harsh on the recruiters that particular year. It's just super unfortunate that's when our big haul of picks landed.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back