AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Laverde round house punched him straight in the forehead.

Jackson did nothing on him last week and Andrew only popped off after he went off the ground. Perhaps going back has stripped away some of the complexity and just allowed him to play.
Cox must have started as 5th or 6th choice KPD going into 2024:
1. McKay
2. Reid - injured
3. Ridley - injured but preferred by coach over McKay sometimes
4. Laverne
5. Maybe… Baldwin - injured

So KPD as break glass only.
Didn’t help he got an early switch up onto King that played out horribly.

For good development (what coach has often repeated 2024 is about) I was happy to see him played on:
-Jackson last week (like Zach Package said, Jackson did nothing) and
- Mac Andrew this week

Hoping to see Cox back playing a more suited role rotating through the flanks and wings. Or even being a development stint in the VFL… learning some back up ruck.

Uh, no, that's not what he said. He said if that hit causes you to get concussed, you are not built to play AFL.
Yep, because Kane Cornes knows about human physiology.

Kane is right, and it's not like its the only evidence of Cox lacking toughness. Also, can he jump? He constantly plays hobbled over, outbodied and within his shell. Look at his face. It's the expression of someone either battling enormously or just pretending to, and I have to say I think its the latter. This is so harsh but in realtime, I personally thought he just gave up on Saturday night. He got moved off Mack, embarrassed under the big lights and couldn't pick himself up off the ground. He's playing without joy or confidence.

Player gets concussed.

"NOT TOUGH ENOUGH" - Kane Cornes

If nick is getting concussed from that he has no place in the AFL. Nicks head wasn't even touched, so if he is that fragile, pack it in.

Cornes is a douche, but he's spot on here. those having a go at kane are just doing it because its kane. He is 1000000% spot on.

This isn't isolated. There are plenty of other instances where nick has completely catted it in the contest. He needs to ask himself if this is for him and if he's willing to put in the effort required for an AFL player. Cause his effort currently is woeful.

Last edited:
Ok, ok, I thought there were standards on here. 2 talking heads WE never agree with:
1. Kane “click bait” Cornes
2. David “hates coach and McKay” Kingie King
Incorrect. We also never agree with Damo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

did Lloyd just say, “ the kids, i’d like to touch some of them?

would love lloyd down at the club for nothing other than his goal kicking.

he spent some time with daniher back in the day and was getting great rewards, but he couldnt commit due to his media commitments.

Id get him down there tomorrow if i could.

Ok, ok, I thought there were standards on here. 2 talking heads WE never agree with:
1. Kane “click bait” Cornes
2. David “hates coach and McKay” Kingie King

attack the messenger, not the message.

standard Essendon delusion.

Kane is 100000000000000% right here.

attack the messenger, not the message.

standard Essendon delusion.

Kane is 100000000000000% right here.
I’ll put a row of 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 these on next time so you can understand it’s a joke*.

*Whilst it was a joke, on a serious side, Kane seems to be 2000000000000000000% wrong on this one.

So somehow Kane knows more than a doctor about concussions?!! What a load of shit. Thought he was way out of order there. Poor form from Lloyd calling young players out. He wasn’t exactly known for his toughness first few years. And how is it Scott’s fault if these players aren’t tough? Weird shit

This Cox discussion has got me thinking. No one is disputing his talent however there is a clear and obvious shortfall in his level of competitiveness that is required to be an AFL footballer.

If you go through our team on Saturday I think you could mount a fair case that there are more than a handful of players not competitive enough to ever be key players in a contending side. Some of the most competitive and hardworking guys in the side are also the ones who aren’t the most talented (which may explain their selection).

Talented but lacks competitiveness: Parish, McKay, Redman, Draper, Stringer, Langford, Gresham, Cox, Jones, A Davey, Bryan

Competitive but lacks talent: Kelly, Laverde, Menzie

Talented and competitive: Merrett, Durham, Caldwell, Martin, Caddy, Roberts, Shiel, McGrath (?)

This Cox discussion has got me thinking. No one is disputing his talent however there is a clear and obvious shortfall in his level of competitiveness that is required to be an AFL footballer.

If you go through our team on Saturday I think you could mount a fair case that there are more than a handful of players not competitive enough to ever be key players in a contending side. Some of the most competitive and hardworking guys in the side are also the ones who aren’t the most talented (which may explain their selection).

Talented but lacks competitiveness: Parish, McKay, Redman, Draper, Stringer, Langford, Gresham, Cox, Jones, A Davey, Bryan

Competitive but lacks talent: Kelly, Laverde, Menzie

Talented and competitive: Merrett, Durham, Caldwell, Martin, Caddy, Roberts, Shiel, McGrath (?)
Harsh on Redman. He’s having a down season but he’s a competitor, no question. Whether it’s a drop in confidence or carrying a nagging, playable injury, I think there are other reasons for his drop in competitive consistency this year. At his best he is beast-mode.

Harsh on Redman. He’s having a down season but he’s a competitor, no question. Whether it’s a drop in confidence or carrying a nagging, playable injury, I think there are other reasons for his drop in competitive consistency this year. At his best he is beast-mode.
Remove Redman, add Wright.

No one can help a concussion, and whether you get one or not isn't about being tough. You don't have to have actual forceful contact to get a concussion either, your head snapping back and forth causing your brain to rattle could do it. So calling Cox not tough enough for this incident is unfair.

But

He isn't tough enough. Just in general from what you see each week. Lloyd called it out too, theres a bunch of guys that just look like they're scared of the contest. 2MP is one of them and I've always felt that way. You can see it on his face, he looks like he's actually wincing at the prospect of any kind of contact.

Redman picks and chooses when he is competitive, one week he looks elite the next week he looks completely disinterested. It's not just this season so can't blame injuries, he teases us every year that he will break out but then drops off.

So somehow Kane knows more than a doctor about concussions?!! What a load of shit. Thought he was way out of order there. Poor form from Lloyd calling young players out. He wasn’t exactly known for his toughness first few years. And how is it Scott’s fault if these players aren’t tough? Weird shit

Trying to draw any conclusions from a one-off concussion is idiotic. He's certainly copped harder hits throughout his AFL and junior career. Sometimes it's just shit luck. If it starts becoming a recurring issue like McCartin, then worry about whether his body will handle the rigors of AFL football.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back