AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Trying to draw any conclusions from a one-off concussion is idiotic. He's certainly copped harder hits throughout his AFL and junior career. Sometimes it's just shit luck. If it starts becoming a recurring issue like McCartin, then worry about whether his body will handle the rigors of AFL football.
The exact point Tim and Gary made on SEN this morning. Of course, some plonker text in calling them 'woke', the go-to phrase of the idiotic, who don't even know what it means.

The exact point Tim and Gary made on SEN this morning. Of course, some plonker text in calling them 'woke', the go-to phrase of the idiotic, who don't even know what it means.

I assume they think the AFL has gone woke because they don't want players having long-term brain injuries after they finish their careers. I imagine the same people would also lose their minds if the work tea room runs out of biscuits.

You only have to look at McCartin’s last concussion. He was on his tummy and appeared to crawl over a players leg and it looked like a snail bump on the ground. But you could clearly see in the aftermath the guy was half knocked out. Really hit home to many how serious this issue is and how much we don’t understand

Did Cox get concussed earlier in the year too? I feel like I remember that happening.

Cornes’s take that Cox isn’t made for the sport cos he got concussed is gross, but it is concerning that he seemed to get concussed from a whiplash motion. If he had one earlier in the year that might make him more susceptible, a worry in itself.

Did Cox get concussed earlier in the year too? I feel like I remember that happening.

Cornes’s take that Cox isn’t made for the sport cos he got concussed is gross, but it is concerning that he seemed to get concussed from a whiplash motion. If he had one earlier in the year that might make him more susceptible, a worry in itself.

Pretty sure the whiplash motion is a pretty key element of concussion. It's the brain moving around inside the skull. Thus why helmets don't necessarily stop concussions.

Pretty sure the whiplash motion is a pretty key element of concussion. It's the brain moving around inside the skull. Thus why helmets don't necessarily stop concussions.
I should say what appears to be a pretty innocuous whiplash motion.
Obviously you can't tell just from footage, but it looked minor.

You only have to look at McCartin’s last concussion. He was on his tummy and appeared to crawl over a players leg and it looked like a snail bump on the ground. But you could clearly see in the aftermath the guy was half knocked out. Really hit home to many how serious this issue is and how much we don’t understand

That was because he had a history of concussion. Its not the same. If Cox has the same sensitivity to concussion as McCartin, then his career is obviously in massive trouble.

If Kane went at this from the lens of player wellbeing and looking out for Cox there would be less outrage: ie, “jeez somethings aren’t worth it, if that has knocked him out I’m worried about what other head knocks will do to him in the future”.

But becuase he combined it with calling Nik soft/uncompetitive in general it’s a really poor comment. As is often the case with Kane, his abrasive style which is what gets him clicks is what gets him in trouble.

If Kane went at this from the lens of player wellbeing and looking out for Cox there would be less outrage: ie, “jeez somethings aren’t worth it, if that has knocked him out I’m worried about what other head knocks will do to him in the future”.

But becuase he combined it with calling Nik soft/uncompetitive in general it’s a really poor comment. As is often the case with Kane, his abrasive style which is what gets him clicks is what gets him in trouble.
Well said except I don't really think he's getting in trouble. He's doing exactly what he's paid for. 😆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane Cornes is a troll. The concussion issue is real though.. when you start to see multiple concussions in a season or concussions from relatively 'minor' knocks then it could indicate a problem. Absolutely no reason to have a go at him though..

What is legit to state is that his defending is woeful and has cost us games this year.. struggles to impact the game on the wing and the unicorn is proving to be a jack of all trades and master of none. Not sure that he is good enough to play any position in its own right. Reminds me of a quote about selecting 'all rounders' in cricket. The rule of thumb was that they needed to be good enough for primary selection in one discipline and if they were good in another that was a 'bonus'. If you select a guy that is almost good enough as a bowler and almost good enough as a batter then you are bound to be disappointed.

The concussion is a side issue.. main point is where does this guy fit and can he play a part in success. Unless he improves his contested marking, his tank and his over game awareness then I see no place for him in our best 22 moving forward.

Kane Cornes is a troll. The concussion issue is real though.. when you start to see multiple concussions in a season or concussions from relatively 'minor' knocks then it could indicate a problem. Absolutely no reason to have a go at him though..

What is legit to state is that his defending is woeful and has cost us games this year.. struggles to impact the game on the wing and the unicorn is proving to be a jack of all trades and master of none. Not sure that he is good enough to play any position in its own right. Reminds me of a quote about selecting 'all rounders' in cricket. The rule of thumb was that they needed to be good enough for primary selection in one discipline and if they were good in another that was a 'bonus'. If you select a guy that is almost good enough as a bowler and almost good enough as a batter then you are bound to be disappointed.

The concussion is a side issue.. main point is where does this guy fit and can he play a part in success. Unless he improves his contested marking, his tank and his over game awareness then I see no place for him in our best 22 moving forward.
He’s tall and skinny so inevitably develops slowly at afl level. Given his decent progress there is literally nothing else that needs to be said.
Both he and Jones will be really something to see in 3 years time.

He’s tall and skinny so inevitably develops slowly at afl level. Given his decent progress there is literally nothing else that needs to be said.

I'm just not sure he is progressing. His skills have gone from promising to below average, if anything I'd say he's lost a step pace wise whilst not gaining significant strength, he seems less confident attacking the contest than in his first season, is yet to really find away to leverage his supposedly big tank to impact games and he's one of the worst culprits in the team for just watching the ball and letting his man out the back.

I'm not saying he can't turn it around but **** me he's definitely no longer promising.

He’s 22 though, not 18. I get you’re trying to be positive, but if his progression remains on track, I don’t think he’ll be on the list in three years time. He’d have to show a rapid improvement

Just on the softness thing, Nik has mongrel, which is what we need.
He doesn't have the body at the current time to throw it around, so I'm fine with him not trying to do so. There aren't too many 200cm players running around stoppages getting their hands dirty so no he isn't afraid of physical contact.

We don't need "fake tough", which is what you get when your a washed up player and poor leader playing in their final games cleaning up an opposition unsuspecting mid. So he can sit down and shut up.

Cox took a monster hit in the forwardline that lead to one of his 3 goals a couple weeks ago so no he does not have a susceptibility to concussions and he can certainly take a hit. He copped a whiplash injury from an angle he wasn't suspecting when one of his limited team mates cannoned into his side, that chin over the left shoulder is a classic amount of shake to trigger a concussion.

Cornes is bloody good at his job, unfortunately, which is to get clicks and attention to drive content. The good thing though is he doesn't need to be right to do so.
This is simply his fascination with body type showing through. Skinny player gets concussed, "well he's not built for AFL".

The media can parrot on all they like about how they "care" about player welfare but if your gonna pot players as soft and criticise people for not toughing through a brain injury then your probably showing how much damage you copped in your career because your clearly not functioning that well.

I'm looking forward to when we get a Dusty level talent come through with a similar disdain for the media but instead of shying away from it calls them on their bullshit repeatedly.

Cox is my boy, so I’m prone to a bit of rose coloured glasses.

I’m trying to trust the process
  • Every time coach blahs on about development season, player flexibility, performance indicators, not being resultist, etc it’s like he’s talking about Cox
  • Cox in the team on potential… which has a limited time span
  • Played him almost everywhere (except the VFL) : KPD, forward flank, back flank, wing, ruck and switched him mid game to cover injuries
  • Could be a cornerstone season in his development

Inconsistent, but he’s shown some:
  • Shirked less
  • Kicked goals when going forward
  • Selflessly played different roles due to team need when injuries have hit

Hoping (trusting?) a low impact / development season from Cox in 2024 sets him up to grow into a key part of the 8 year (🙄) plan… in a more defined role.

Last edited:

Kanes delivery always bad, and its always delicately worded to be jarring, he is a professional media troll. but i think the underlying message is spot on with this one.

If Nick is getting concussed in that type of contest. Question needs to be asked if he has any underlying issues that make him more prone to concussion. Or is it just a once off?

Aside from this specific incident, Nick is an absolute cat in the contest. Dont care what anyone says - he has been in the system 4-5 years now. he needs someone to ask him bluntly or he asks himself if he has what it takes to compete at this level. If not pack it in.

Not sure about anyone else, but i have zero ****in desire seeing this club gifts games to any more undeserving people. We have done it for far too long and the seasons results are always the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back