Mega Thread #14 David Mackay - 14 possessions again

Can we piss off with these * is going next year and unsigned threads

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say he's the most frustrating player in the team.

He could be so good yet he barely passes for mediocre these days.

He wasn't bad then.

He was never 500k good and never will be. I remember that thread and I think I posted about it. He just doesn't impose himself in games- he's a line breaker but he's not damaging enough for an outside player. He is only ever an average player with maybe a 300k a year contract being the most he's worth in his prime.

Meh, wasn't great but 18 touches at 88% efficiency isn't the end of the world. Wright & Jaensch still out before him. Martin is NOT the answer

I'd say he's the most frustrating player in the team.

He could be so good yet he barely passes for mediocre these days.
He's not our most frustrating player, that's Jenkins easily. Everyone assumes he is just gonna come goog but he has terrible deficiencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brodie Martin could be better than David Mackay. Get him back up to speed and give him a shot for a month in Mackays role...love to see the comparison.
Yeah.. nah. Mackay might be having a bad year, never having fulfilled the promise he showed back in 2009. But let's not go overboard with suggesting that Martin is actually any good. Interesting comparison though, given that Martin is only 4 months younger than Mackay.

There's a lot of love around for Brodie but I just don't see it myself.
Would prefer Grigg, Petrenko, Kerridge.
Think of Mackay's role, and i actually think we need a player of his type...just one that actually finds the ball and takes it on more consistently. Martin could be a fail but I'd love him to get a decent run at it. The others you mentioned prob dont fit the same type of outside runner.

Given what we thought we had back in 2009, watching David Mackay now makes my eyes bleed

He's not our most frustrating player, that's Jenkins easily. Everyone assumes he is just gonna come goog but he has terrible deficiencies.
He's only played 21 games.

Brodie Martin could be better than David Mackay. Get him back up to speed and give him a shot for a month in Mackays role...love to see the comparison.
Top of my wish list. Brodie is a shithouse defender but could be a decent wingman if we'd give him a bloody decent chance. A couple of badly timed injuries, coupled with stubborn coaches, have ruined his career. He's shown glimpses but has never had a decent trot in his preferred position. It's annoying as heck.

JJ has barely played any matches at all, even with his current deficiencies I think the way he's going is fairly decent. He's leading the club's goalkicking, isn't he?

Now if he hasn't improved on his deficiencies at all after 50 games then I'd get a little worried.

Top of my wish list. Brodie is a shithouse defender but could be a decent wingman if we'd give him a bloody decent chance. A couple of badly timed injuries, coupled with stubborn coaches, have ruined his career. He's shown glimpses but has never had a decent trot in his preferred position. It's annoying as heck.

Martin... Or Smith? ;)

If Brodie Martin is the answer, then you're asking the wrong question.

What a narrow minded thing to say. You'd fit in perfectly with our current selection panel.
I'm not suggesting that Mackay is in good form. I'd be more than happy to see him dropped next week. I just don't have any time for Martin.. or Jaensch for that matter. Still can't understand how the person who gave them 2-year contracts (early last year) still has a job.

Martin was widely praised in his first few games. Then he did his knee, and followed it up the preseason after his return with a knee scare which shattered his confidence. Between those two injuries he played one game as a wingman in which he picked up 28 touches and 9 marks, many of which were VERY classy - and included a few goal assists. He was just about BoG in his 4th ever game - 2nd game back from an ACL. He then had a shocking 2011 where he really struggled with form and injury. Since then, he's torn it up in the SANFL as a mid, yet has played exclusively as a defender or sub (kicked 3 in one of the only occassions he was played in an attacking role) when he's made the crows side, which has been VERY rarely. He's only managed 18 games total in his career. Some of this has been due to injury, but the coaches are also to blame. He has always performed well enough in the SANFL to deserve a decent run in the firsts, bug he's never received it.

I can understand you writing off Jaensch, who is nearly up to 50 games in 3 years, but I refuse to accept your argument that we've seen enough of Brodie to say he's not good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread #14 David Mackay - 14 possessions again

Back