Can we piss off with these * is going next year and unsigned threads

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mentioned in the Free Agency article from the AFL site this morning

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-07/free-agency-where-the-big-fish-could-be-headed
DAVID MACKAY (Adelaide)
State of play:
Adelaide put Mackay's name on the trade table last October and the midfielder seems happy to delay any decision on his future until later this year. Some Victorian clubs believe the former Oakleigh Charger is 'gettable' and his run and skill will attract offers. Mackay's contract has a trigger clause for 2015, but, unlike Nick Dal Santo last season, he will not require the Crows to consent to any free agency deal. But given Mackay is a restricted free agent, Adelaide can keep him by matching any rival offer.

What would it take? Stronger teams could secure Mackay, 25, with a $400,000-a-season deal, but a team struggling on field might need to pay $450,000 a season or more.

What compensation would Adelaide get? A second-round or end-of-second-round pick.

We say: The Crows have a fight on their hands to keep Mackay. At best a 50/50 chance to re-sign.

It's going to be quite an interesting outcome if he's still unsigned by mid-year, will be interesting to see where the club rates him and if they want to/can keep hold of him or if he personally wants to go back home. It could also come down to the Gibbs decision if he's still unsigned by years end and if we're offering $680,000+ & are in a bidding war with Carlton for him we will most likely not match any rival offers for MacKay, could be a risky strategy with us not guaranteed to land Gibbs.

Whatever your thoughts on MacKay as a player are (he's certainly playing better in a contract year funnily enough) I for one would still be mega pissed if the club doesn't match a bid and we lose a player with his skill set that we've invested years into for only a 2nd round pick especially with the possibility of it coming back to bite us, but i suppose on the other side of the scale what is/will be his worth then?

Mackay has probably already signed and we're just waiting for snother massive on field catastrophe to announce it.

He's having a good year and playing some nice attacking football and it's about time so it would be a pitty to lose him at this time. That said I wouldn't pay through the nose for him.

Still not doing enough. Played like a millionaire against the Saints but other than that has been the same old 20 touch Mackay. Sickening that he gets paid enough to be a RFA and I'd prefer we let him walk.

Still not doing enough. Played like a millionaire against the Saints but other than that has been the same old 20 touch Mackay. Sickening that he gets paid enough to be a RFA and I'd prefer we let him walk.
Why is it so sickening? Who else were they going to give the money to last time he signed a contract?

Why is it so sickening? Who else were they going to give the money to last time he signed a contract?

First question: because he's never once finished top 10 in our B&F, despite being in our top 10 paid players. (Edit: since Mackay became a regular in the team in 2008, 27 different players have been top 10 in our B&F. Over the term of his current contract, 19 different players have. Now I know he was given his current contract on potential, so this is not necessarily a criticism of the AFC, but I do find it sickening that he has so grossly under-delivered. I can't see any justification for keeping him beyond this year when to let him walk in FA would free up such a significant chunk of cap space).

Second question: any or all of Bock, Davis, Gunston or Tippett. (Edit: or any other player we might have wanted to recruit in the intervening period).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it that much cap space? Being top ten on our list doesn't exactly mean that much.

Hard to imagine it would be less than 350-400k. If it's the difference between offering Gibbs 500k and 700k, and leaves us with an extra 100-200k on top of what we've budgeted for Dangerfield next year... I'd lose Mackay for that.

Hard to imagine it would be less than 350-400k. If it's the difference between offering Gibbs 500k and 700k, and leaves us with an extra 100-200k on top of what we've budgeted for Dangerfield next year... I'd lose Mackay for that.

Article earlier this week said that for most clubs 50% of the cap is paid to 25% of the list (ie the Top Ten) - so that's about 450K each averaged. Mackay would be at the bottom of the 10, so 350-400 such reasonable.

First question: because he's never once finished top 10 in our B&F, despite being in our top 10 paid players. (Edit: since Mackay became a regular in the team in 2008, 27 different players have been top 10 in our B&F. Over the term of his current contract, 19 different players have. Now I know he was given his current contract on potential, so this is not necessarily a criticism of the AFC, but I do find it sickening that he has so grossly under-delivered. I can't see any justification for keeping him beyond this year when to let him walk in FA would free up such a significant chunk of cap space).

Second question: any or all of Bock, Davis, Gunston or Tippett. (Edit: or any other player we might have wanted to recruit in the intervening period).
How long was his contract? From memory, it was 3 years - which means that it was probably signed mid-2011. At that point he would have been signed on "potential", being only a year or so out from his stellar 2009 season. At that time we didn't exactly have an abundance of youngsters breaking down the door for a top-10 contract. Back in 2011 Sloane had only played around 20-30 games, Dangerfield 40-50, Tex 20-30. Our veterans had just retired, so there really wasn't anyone else they could give that sort of contract to.

At the time it was perfectly reasonable. If he were to be given a top-10 contract in 2014 I would be positively ropeable!

I know a lot of the criticism of Mackay may be justified, but I like to remember the fact that he was a number 48 draft pick. I'm not as scathing with my criticism because I never expected much from him in the first place.

if he leaves FA after not wanting to be traded, I'd be pretty annoyed.

As far as I am aware at the time he stated he didn't want to be traded because he was happy in Adelaide. I find it hard to believe times have changed now he is playing outstanding footy. I think his manager is out shooting for offers to bring to his client which is what managers do but unless its substantially more then what the crows offer I cant see him leaving unless his mood has done a 180!

if he leaves FA after not wanting to be traded, I'd be pretty annoyed.
Why?!

Maybe I am just a prick by nature but if I was Mackay and the club put me up for a trade when a year earlier I turned my back on a much more lucrative deal to stay and so that the club would have enough money to keep Tippett, that is precisely what I would do.

The dickhead in me would ensure I have the "I will show them" attitude where I would have a ripping season resulting in either getting a big contract and telling the club big **** you on the way out!

Supporters forget that loyalty works both ways. It is not the one way street that many want it to be. Mackay turned down a $2 million deal over 4 years from Melbourne to stay with us. He even took less so that the club would have enough money to try and keep Tippett. He took one for the club and the very next season he is put up for a trade. I would not blame him one but if he was filthy about it! I know i would be!

Why?!

Maybe I am just a prick by nature but if I was Mackay and the club put me up for a trade when a year earlier I turned my back on a much more lucrative deal to stay and so that the club would have enough money to keep Tippett, that is precisely what I would do.

The dickhead in me would ensure I have the "I will show them" attitude where I would have a ripping season resulting in either getting a big contract and telling the club big **** you on the way out!

Supporters forget that loyalty works both ways. It is not the one way street that many want it to be. Mackay turned down a $2 million deal over 4 years from Melbourne to stay with us. He even took less so that the club would have enough money to try and keep Tippett. He took one for the club and the very next season he is put up for a trade. I would not blame him one but if he was filthy about it! I know i would be!

Do you think he played for free after he turned down the Melbourne offer? Do you think he earned his wage from 2010 - 2013 in terms of his on field performance? I don't.

Also - maybe he turned down the offer because it was Melbourne. What if Hawthorn/Collingwood offered him that? Would his loyalty remained as strong?

This is business. We should have traded him when we had the chance.

Having said that - lets all be glad he is playing well this year. Because it will hopefully mean we get better compo if he leaves for Free Agency.

Why?!

!

Wish he'd do that now.... like more consistently, not just in patches of games here and there

How long was his contract? From memory, it was 3 years - which means that it was probably signed mid-2011. At that point he would have been signed on "potential", being only a year or so out from his stellar 2009 season. At that time we didn't exactly have an abundance of youngsters breaking down the door for a top-10 contract. Back in 2011 Sloane had only played around 20-30 games, Dangerfield 40-50, Tex 20-30. Our veterans had just retired, so there really wasn't anyone else they could give that sort of contract to.

At the time it was perfectly reasonable. If he were to be given a top-10 contract in 2014 I would be positively ropeable!

Of course it wasn't reasonable

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread #14 David Mackay - 14 possessions again

Back