Player Watch #14: Liam Shiels - re-signed until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a centre bounce where he attacked the ball ferociously, won it, paddled it backwards to LDU I think and we went forward and scored. The act pretty much won us the game
There was a wonderful contest he won on the wing/HB where he was outnumbered, drew contact and paddled it out to a team mate when the eagles were surging and the commentators all groaned in delight.

Can’t see him going on next year.

But the best thing is that we know this bloke is at the club anyway and will be guiding these young blokes through the journey.

It must be hard coming from success to a team gettting beaten up each week, but the guy hasn’t complained once and has rolled up his sleeves and tried to help out and develop our young players.

That takes real selflessness to put yourself in that situation when you could retire and not put yourself through the grind.

I remember H2H talking about Drew’s move west being a chance to endear himself to another supporter base.

Shiels has absolutely done that with us.

Criminally underrated. Couldn't be more impressed how he's embraced the club and the mentor role to help fast track the development of our young crop.

Farkin gun.
Totally.

It really should be his decision whether to retire or not. Especially given he's only taking up a rookie spot.

He's also still a pretty solid game day contributor.

As of right now, a third of our list, for a variety of reasons, aren't capable of the on-field impact he has.

Criminally underrated. Couldn't be more impressed how he's embraced the club and the mentor role to help fast track the development of our young crop.

Farkin gun.
It is no coincidence we've looked better organised around the ball since he started playing full games in round nine.

He stays in until they prove they can do it without him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he wants to retire then this is a good idea if he's into it. If not I'd keep playing him while he contributes.

Wants to go into list management post footy I'm told.

Farewell game against the Tigers I reckon. Then we roll with a youngster for the last couple of games.
Let him play the last game v Hawthorn. Fitting send off.

It'll be time to cut the cord at the end of the season. He's been good, but there's enough of a 26-27 to own the leadership from now on.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Let him play the last game v Hawthorn. Fitting send off.

It'll be time to cut the cord at the end of the season. He's been good, but there's enough of a 26-27 to own the leadership from now on.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
My thinking was he plays the next couple against Swans/Blues/Cats which are more physical experienced teams and then makes way for a young kid but perhaps he misses the Tigers/WCE/Dogs block and comes in for a final Hawks farewell game.

we would be better to pay out one of ccj, sleevo or biggie and retain him for another year.
Greenwood and Shiels are the easiest decisions to retire at end of the year.
I don't really care what happens to those three but I think age has something to do with it and I doubt he'd want to go through another preseason. At some point the body tells you "I've had enough of this". I think he'll call it.

Greenwood and Shiels are the easiest decisions to retire at end of the year.
I don't really care what happens to those three but I think age has something to do with it and I doubt he'd want to go through another preseason. At some point the body tells you "I've had enough of this". I think he'll call it.
Easy decisions dont win flags

If he wants to play on in 2025 I want him to play on in 2025. He is doing as good a job as Hodge was at Brisbane, or Lewis at Melbourne. Seeing a pattern here, anyone?
You Got It Wink GIF by Lansing Lugnuts

Player Watch #14: Liam Shiels - re-signed until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back