Player Watch #14: Liam Shiels - re-signed until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

4th all time in tackles (tackle stats recorded from 1987 but players hardly tackled before then anyway) -

1720784143014.png

Is top 25 all time in average tackles per game too.

He's exactly what we needed at the club and has given the current players at the club a shining example of how to be a professional and what it takes to climb the proverbial mountain. If he wasn't at the club I doubt we see the pressure stats reach the heights it has in the last 5 weeks.

Love him. If we've learnt anything from previous retirements Shiels should be given a fair say into his retirement plans.

Last edited:

Time for Sheils to play VFL for the rest of the season, his game time is better utilised giving opportunities to younger players.

Ummm his form has been really good up until the weekend.
But one bad game and the 33yo rookie is all of a sudden cooked.

The issue is Clarkson. He should have sent him to Gulden straight away.
But he didn’t. And Shiels spent 3 quarters running around doing absolutely f*** all.

None, like i said i would pay out ccj, biggie and sleevo. Give at least 2 of the 3 a 1 year deal.
They just come off the main list. We'd still have 9 rookies listed. Upgrading Kal Dawson and cutting Free leaves an 8th rookie spot to use for taking River Stevens if the AFL doesn't take away our two extra rookie spots.
If they do then there's a squeeze on two spots out of Shiels/RHJ/Drury/Sellers as Teakle/Maley/Payne are safe.

The cutting of 4-6 players out of TT/CCJ/Greenwood/Biggie/Sleevo/Taylor/Pink will happen regardless to make space for 3-4 ND picks plus a Dawson upgrade at the draft. The balance of 36-38 on the main and 4(6)-6 (8) rookie lists will be interesting if this is quite a deep ND draft.

If it comes down to it I'd be keeping RHJ/Sellers/Drury types over Shiels as a rookie pick.
Shiels can always play for the VFL team and be around the club as a coach and recruiter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Player Watch #14: Liam Shiels - re-signed until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back