AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

So glad to have Perko at Essendon. Is a classy player. People call out his hips as strong but his technique to shake/twist while on the move helps to break the grip of his tackler too. Hard to teach.

How good was the cheeky steal of Jiath in the goal square? Anticipated it to absolute perfection.

I thought his effort was really good. Didn’t look off to me; it’s just that the goals didn’t fall his way.
yep. Was there to present. He and Jones got a lot of work on them. It let the likes of Langford & Menzie do their thing.

I thought Perkins was fine too.

I'm not sure if he is the type of guy that will consistently get say 20+ touches a game. Sometimes, yes.

I more think Perkins is going to be one of those guys that while he may only get 8-10 touches they will be mostly quality

Loving Perkins trajectory. Could kick 40 this year and uses it very well.
Between perkins, martin, langford and caldwell (who's been a surprise scoring packet this year), im still baffled by ppl losing their minds we didnt take phillipou

Fine player, but really not what we needed

Dunno what the answer is but we simply have to get the ball in his hands more often.

A walking score involvement, everything he touches turns into at least an opportunity for a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think he played particularly well but you see little flashes. He is so strong in his hips couple of times he just bullocked his way through. I don’t think it’s a matter of if but when with this guy.

I’m not worried about perceived gaps in his footy IQ. Got to keep in mind that the human brain is still developing in the 20s and he has just turned 21. If he was still looking a bit lost at 25 you’d be worried but I’m sure he’ll keeping progressing.

I’m not worried about perceived gaps in his footy IQ. Got to keep in mind that the human brain is still developing in the 20s and he has just turned 21. If he was still looking a bit lost at 25 you’d be worried but I’m sure he’ll keeping progressing.
Other than being fitter I am not seeing any improvement in his game that he did not already have towards the end of his first season. I am one who does not really care if he gets into the midfield as I like his forward X factor. What really troubles me is he is the worst player in the side at transitioning into defense . You can bet that if the opposition is running the ball out of our forward half he is one who has lost a match up. He has great vision and skills with ball in hand and is generally a good mark. He will also lay a tackle off a contest but he simply has not shown any signs of switching between attack and defense. When the opposition has the footy it looks like he has never played the game before. Have noticed a few of the senior guys getting into his ear a bit during the game. Redman was having a reasonably aminated conversation with him at one stage yesterday.

Other than being fitter I am not seeing any improvement in his game that he did not already have towards the end of his first season. I am one who does not really care if he gets into the midfield as I like his forward X factor. What really troubles me is he is the worst player in the side at transitioning into defense . You can bet that if the opposition is running the ball out of our forward half he is one who has lost a match up. He has great vision and skills with ball in hand and is generally a good mark. He will also lay a tackle off a contest but he simply has not shown any signs of switching between attack and defense. When the opposition has the footy it looks like he has never played the game before. Have noticed a few of the senior guys getting into his ear a bit during the game. Redman was having a reasonably aminated conversation with him at one stage yesterday.

I thought the criticisms were around how at times he can get caught out lacking the spatial awareness and/or lack of urgency to dispose and this can result in getting run down after receiving the ball. He’s superb at breaking tackles he sees coming but if he doesn’t see it then it can result in a dumb-looking turnover.

I haven’t paid much attention to his defensive side yet so will need to watch out for that.

Laboured yesterday, wasn't alone in that but it was noticeable to me how little he chased and when he did it was flat footed.

Did Scott mention him in the presser Lore ? (Or whoever watched 😂) AFL app had him injured half time.

Maybe needs to lower the eyes occasionally…had two far better options ahead of him and went for difficult shot instead. Struggled with ankle after that

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back