AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe needs to lower the eyes occasionally…had two far better options ahead of him and went for difficult shot instead. Struggled with ankle after that
Any idea how bad that ankle?

Laboured yesterday, wasn't alone in that but it was noticeable to me how little he chased and when he did it was flat footed.

Did Scott mention him in the presser Lore ? (Or whoever watched 😂) AFL app had him injured half time.
Don’t think so, but was half asleep when I listened and apparently it was cut short at 12 minutes because Scott had to get to the fox studio for 360.

I didn’t see Perkins leave the field either but when he was on the bench after he was testing his jump which made it seem like an ankle issue that had been strapped and maybe jabbed.

Short week so should get injury update sooner rather than later.

His lack of footy due to Covid taking out his under 18 year shows at times. His transition to defensive actions is on the slower side.
Thought he was okay early but was one of the walking brigade in the last quarter.

Don’t think so, but was half asleep when I listened and apparently it was cut short at 12 minutes because Scott had to get to the fox studio for 360.

I didn’t see Perkins leave the field either but when he was on the bench after he was testing his jump which made it seem like an ankle issue that had been strapped and maybe jabbed.

Short week so should get injury update sooner rather than later.
He looked very wore with a bit of a limp at times yesterady in the first half when Is him. THe AFL app put him as injured at half time. May not have been an injury just playing sore.

My favourite player, along with Marto. Perkins has the attributes to be an absolute star of the competition as a mid/fwd. Has the size, power, goal sense & decision making ability already. Needs to work on his endurance and he will probably be our most important player in a year or two.

I did enjoy when he dismissed Stringer because he was about to bomb a goal from outside 50.

He's got a lot of tricks but it's a really tough slog at half forward when you're trying to learn the game. There is not a lot of easy ball to be found.

It's hard to tell, at the moment, whether it crystallises into something really substantial (which would make him one of the best in the game) or whether he's one of those guys who will never quite have the game to put it all together. It would be no disgrace if it is the latter scenario because he would still have a long career.

He's actually a good natural endurance athlete. From memory his 2km was 6.15/20 ish. So there is a pretty substantial base to build from. Need another 1 or 2 preasons before that comes together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should we be putting him in more CBs? I feel like he gets lost too often at HF - kind of baffles me we don't seem to be rolling him thru the middle more in the same way as Stringer. Archie's already one of the most powerful players we have at stoppages. Surely he would be good for some clearances.

Should we be putting him in more CBs? I feel like he gets lost too often at HF - kind of baffles me we don't seem to be rolling him thru the middle more in the same way as Stringer. Archie's already one of the most powerful players we have at stoppages. Surely he would be good for some clearances.

Perkins' best attribute is being near impossible to bring to ground, always seems to keep his feet and shrugs off tackles like he's made of butter, you'd think this would be a great asset to have during center clearances/stoppages. Except you also need to be pretty good with your disposal and that's still something Archie is learning to get better at. I can see him being trialed there when his disposal efficiency improves though, or at least against easier opposition.

On what I’m seeing today I have concerns that if he doesn’t find a way to get involved in games he won’t be worth persevering with. I’m in no way dismissing him. I love his attributes and desperately want to see him be a part of our future because he’ll give us something different but gee today shows us most of the negative in his game. What is it that keeps him out of the game for such long periods.

Is it game-sense? Fitness? Confusion about his role? Front-runner? I know others here see it too but it really needs to be sorted sooner rather than later.

On what I’m seeing today I have concerns that if he doesn’t find a way to get involved in games he won’t be worth persevering with. I’m in no way dismissing him. I love his attributes and desperately want to see him be a part of our future because he’ll give us something different but gee today shows us most of the negative in his game. What is it that keeps him out of the game for such long periods.

Is it game-sense? Fitness? Confusion about his role? Front-runner? I know others here see it too but it really needs to be sorted sooner rather than later.

I was watching some games over the weekend and the same type of player taken by some other clubs is tearing it up.

Rachelle and Rankine (admittedly drafted by GCS), Sheezel (drafted as a dynamic HFF but doing it wherever he is put), Ownes was an academy selection and late but geez he's doing well in a similar role. Humphrey at GCS looks so dynamic.

Archie I have grave concerns about with exactly what you are suggesting.

I was watching some games over the weekend and the same type of player taken by some other clubs is tearing it up.

Rachelle and Rankine (admittedly drafted by GCS), Sheezel (drafted as a dynamic HFF but doing it wherever he is put), Ownes was an academy selection and late but geez he's doing well in a similar role. Humphrey at GCS looks so dynamic.

Archie I have grave concerns about with exactly what you are suggesting.
Id be abandoning the midfield training and focusing purely on how he can impact games

As you say, needs to find that HF nous

It’s bubbling along slowly, his quiet games look to be levelling out at about 16-18 disposals a game rather than last year when a quiet game was 8-10 touches and no scoreboard impact.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back