AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never quite understood the hype around Perkins (other than his draft position). Shrugs a few tackles with his hips every now and then but personally I've never seen 'it' with him. 2020 draft is looking like a huge miss right about now.

I wonder how well Perkins would be playing if he was in a team that actually know how to develop players.
He definitely wouldn't be gifted games and made to earn them. We should of been playing him in the midfield of the VFL to see if he can actually dominate there.

To me he probably has the highest ceiling of anyone on our list (Not that its very high) but isn't working hard enough.

Rayner has been gifted games for the Brisbane Lions for the last 4-5 years but because they are winning games he gets away with it.

He’s still the same player who had 24 possies 12 tackles and 2 goals round 1, just has lost confidence. Had the mid season injury if your body and mind aren’t firing 100% this can be the result.

I’m not giving up on him in the slightest, but the end of the season can’t come fast enough.

If we are gonna insist playing him in the seniors throw him back, it might just reset his mind. See the field in front of you and beat your man. Simple
I think that the opposition worked him out a bit in the middle and have been able to do enough to keep him out of the contest . Of course a really big pres season with the midfield group could also be having a fatigue effect . I still think that he is not the smartest banana in the bunch so they have to keep things pretty basic which leads to him getting lost on the field. He is more an instinct player than a process player.
Maybe attacking half back could suit .
Otherwise my view is they have to dump Stringer and allow him to play mainly forward with a little midfield or wing.

Bereft of confidence maybe but give me a spell about confusion on role…
That stoppage where he was supposed to man up Keays is surely enough to show his confusion. He had one job, stood offensive side and gave the dude 3 or 4 metres. He didn't know whether he was coming or going, and that was in Adelaide's 50 at a pivotal moment in the game.

I'm glad we're teaching them hamstring awareness. We'll need that for when the game is on the line.

Was BOG today and played exclusively in the midfield. 28 disposals, 14 contested possessions, 12 inside 50s, 14 scoring involvements and 7 clearances. His kicking forward of centre really could be a point of difference to our AFL side. Very damaging.

Still has a lot to improve off the ball, but working on his midfield craft is very important. Read Goldstein's taps very well today which is something he struggled with in the past. I think he'll play in the VFL next week so he can continue developing as a midfielder.

Last edited:
Still too many ball watching moments. Was very good but he can not stand around watching opponents getting involved three plays ahead because he is watching and not thinking.

Still too many ball watching moments. Was very good but he can not stand around watching opponents getting involved three plays ahead because he is watching and not thinking.
Yeah I think I counted 3 moments where he’s so laconic off the ball it stands out even at VFL level. Like the ball is less then 3-4 meters away from him and he’s at sea. I don’t think he means to do it.. it’s just his chill demeanour. Needs to get that 12 tackle intensity back.

Looked great with the ball and hitting up at half forward. Good game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back