1st Ashes Test England v Australia June 16-20 1930hrs @ Edgbaston

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Radar looks like once this clears we'll get plenty of cricket. Gives England a big advantage as it will be easier to take 7 wickets than to make 180 in limited overs.

For all the criticism of the excesses of BazBall, being worried about making 180 in 55-60+ overs on this pitch with this elderly and injured bowling attack would be the ultimate WussBall.

Not seeing any reason why play won’t start at the conclusion of the lunch break (1:10pm local time, 10:10pm AEST) or shortly after.

I’ll give one reason, cricket has a very weird way of being “match ready” and you can’t start if it’s dangerous to bowlers

For all the criticism of the excesses of BazBall, being worried about making 180 in 55-60+ overs on this pitch with this elderly and injured bowling attack would be the ultimate WussBall.

Will depend on whether it swings after the rain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotland has amazing scenery up in the Highlands. much better scenery than England but weather wise it makes England look like Spain.in comparison.
Agreed. It's epic up there and I guess in a way the crazy patches of weather can contribute to that. But not if you are stuck in the worst of it (blocking the scenery) for days on end!

I'm not sure your extensive 50 year experience in cricket helps you determine with certainty whether balls are going to be just missing/clipping the stumps from the comfort of your couch. I also played a lot of cricket but I would never once wave that around in determining whether I know a ball is missing the top of the stumps from watching it on TV.

Smith was back to Stokes who skids the ball more. Ball did not bounce as much as other deliveries that landed in a similar area (nearly 26cm lower) and therefore had a flatter trajectory. Bairstow was more forward and with the ball delivered at a wider angle.

It's cricket. They were close decisions. They happen every match. Just because they didn't roll the way you wanted them to doesn't point to some conspiracy or manipulation by a trailer full of Englishmen.
Whatever you say. Clearly you are the expert here. Bye!

Anyone else want to make a fascinating observation about the rainfall in various cities that aren't actually the cities the game is being played in, including people who live in cities where it rains more than the particular city they are talking about how much it rains?

Remove this Banner Ad

1st Ashes Test England v Australia June 16-20 1930hrs @ Edgbaston

Back