1st round draft pick 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaff looks the package imo. Complete mid - inside and out, natural footballer, disciplined, good work rate, an accumulator and a decent guy.
He averaged 27 disposals at 79 per cent efficiency at the champs, has fantastic endurance and ran a 2.88sec 20m sprint.

If we go for a mid for our first pick I'd go either Gaff or Heppell.
If we go for a tall, Tom Lynch looks good.

I still see Gaff as a Chad Fletcher type, but with a neater kick. Gaff gets a lot of cheapies in uncontested situations. His stats are padded. He'll play as a defensive Wingman and pick up massive stat building possession numbers across half back. The opposite of the type of Wingman we need. WC need goals from their Wingman, as well as their other midfielders.

He still doesn't come across as a damaging type of player from his clips.

Smith who is supposed to have explosive pace was in the 10 for worst times over 5 metres at the camp. Thats not very judd like. Again its not definitive because decision making and ability to read the play are just as important but i personally think the 5 metre speed tests are much more important than the 20 and 100 metre times.

All i can say is this though, who do you know who's not very quick off the mark and bombs the ball without looking from the centre ;)

Gaff anyone? His sprint time has begun to turn me. we already knew he could get the ball and dispose of it well. If he's got pace he should be very damaging.
He really doesn't look fast though. Maybe because his tank is so good he's always in space anyway so doesn't need to use it.

A one off sprint time in a controlled environment doesn't translate to being a fast footballer.

Does anyone know if the tests are actually finished or are these just progressive top ten scores? because was really surprised to see a few players not make top ten on a few of the tests including atley, smith and heppell no atley for agility was a big surprise

I'm unsure as well.
Went on the AFL website then and they have removed the 5m sprint data which suggests to me there was a botch up somewhere.
I would have thought they do all the tests at the same time but maybe it is staggered to accommodate interviews as well.
It's a little confusing. And why don't they just post the results of each draftee instead of 'top ten'?
Smith and Atley absent from the 20m sprint really surprised me if the stats are legit!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really give much credit to these testing at all.
If Gaff comes across a slow runner when playing he probably is. One off tests don't replicate match situations.

Smith who is supposed to have explosive pace was in the 10 for worst times over 5 metres at the camp. Thats not very judd like. Again its not definitive because decision making and ability to read the play are just as important but i personally think the 5 metre speed tests are much more important than the 20 and 100 metre times.

All i can say is this though, who do you know who's not very quick off the mark and bombs the ball without looking from the centre ;)

Smith was the fastest over 5 metres - AFL site put it upside down

concerning though that he couldn't make top 10 in 20metre with a start like that

Smith was the fastest over 5 metres - AFL site put it upside down

concerning though that he couldn't make top 10 in 20metre with a start like that

I was of the opinion that those were the 10 slowest times over 5 metres. If however you are correct and those were the 10 fastest times over 5 metres then i want tom lynch at pick 4. However in this instance it just doesn't make sense.

I was of the opinion that those were the 10 slowest times over 5 metres. If however you are correct and those were the 10 fastest times over 5 metres then i want tom lynch at pick 4. However in this instance it just doesn't make sense.

Smith is known for his acceleration and Lynch is very good on a lead so it would not surprise me if correct - but the AFL don't usually print this test so I assume it was their mistake and now they have taken it down

Smith is known for his acceleration and Lynch is very good on a lead so it would not surprise me if correct - but the AFL don't usually print this test so I assume it was their mistake and now they have taken it down

Also of all those times listed over 5 metres not one of them made it to the top 10 for 20 metre times which suggests they have it wrong. But im sure we'll soon see over the next few days. This is one of those instances where im happy to be proven wrong.

I don't understand why they record the 20m sprint and such on a basketball court anyway, surely it should be done out on a football field. The difference between a perfectly flat, hard and indoor surface and soft, ever so slightly bumpy grass shouldn't be underestimated in terms of running.

I'm pretty sure that the AFL just got the order mixed up like worsfold said, so I think Smith is the quickest over 5m which we could all see in his clips.

Btw a fast 5m time doesn't necessarily translate into a fast 20m sprint time.

I'm pretty sure that the AFL just got the order mixed up like worsfold said, so I think Smith is the quickest over 5m which we could all see in his clips.

Btw a fast 5m time doesn't necessarily translate into a fast 20m sprint time.

You're right it doesn't translate. But for not 1 of the top ten 20 metre timed runners to be in that 10 and to be slower than 199 cm full forwards is a bit ridiculous.

McCartney said that Heppel did well with his speed tests. He also said that if you did well in the vertical jump you should be able to improve your speed. I'm falling in love with Heppell.

Gaff anyone? His sprint time has begun to turn me. we already knew he could get the ball and dispose of it well. If he's got pace he should be very damaging.
He really doesn't look fast though. Maybe because his tank is so good he's always in space anyway so doesn't need to use it.
I'm of the opposite view.

He takes his time to pick the right target, or one within his limitations.

The problem is he will not have this time at AFL level and it worries me.

He also dosn't seem built for physical pressure, so I don't like his chances in holding up under a tackle whilst trying to dispose of the ball.

Heppell on the other hand as tested great in both the standing and running vertical leap. Jason Mcartney said he also did well in the other athletics tests today (one or both of 20m and agility) and Sydneys head of recruitment gave him wraps as one of the standout kids in terms of leadership quality.

EDIT: craps Suzuki Swift beat me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back