Remove this Banner Ad

hourn

Club Legend
Feb 17, 2002
in the sky
Other Teams
eagles
HERE WE GO!!!!!

the final tour match has just been completed with England finishing at 7/322 thanks to a Michael Vaughn 127 and the countdown is on to the first test of the summer.

I'm so excited, i really can't wait.

Whats everyone predictions for the way the test will pan out??

We'll keep everyone updated with scores once the game starts in this thread as well.

The Aussies will prove far too good in the sledging department. England will probably go home with their tail between their legs and start look for a good psychiartist.

5-0 for me.

For me i think (as do most people) that Australia will win. Australian team is already known and the likely England team for me is Vaughan, Trescothick, Butcher, Hussain, Crawley/Key, Stewart, Flintoff (i reckon White should be infront of him though), Ashley Giles, Matt Hoggard, Simon Jones, Andy Caddick. Harmison 12th man.

With Gough out it will make it nearly impossible for the English fellas to get up now. It really makes their bowling stocks look substandard.

Australia are all class and the Gabba pitch will see the win pretty comfortably provided the rain holds out.

Hard one. I'd love to see England held to nought in the series. But for some reason we always seem to give one test away. (The Butcher test, the Headley test, the *ugh* Tufnell test, etc...)

So I'll go 3-1 with a rain draw.

Very Interesting to note on the Baggy Green site the poll which asks who is going to be 12th man in the 1st test.

44% say Lee at the moment, 41% say Bichel, 7% each for Lehmann and Gillespie.

There is unbelivable pressure on Mr. Lee at the moment.

Originally posted by hourn
Very Interesting to note on the Baggy Green site the poll which asks who is going to be 12th man in the 1st test.

44% say Lee at the moment, 41% say Bichel, 7% each for Lehmann and Gillespie.

There is unbelivable pressure on Mr. Lee at the moment.
There is a poll in my head that says 7% of people are stoopid. I can't see Lehmann being 12th man. I would assume that this 7% are thinking that the Aussies will go in with an extra bowler and less a batter. It is possible, but the Aussies have been using the same breakdown for years now (7 batters/4bowlers) and since it has proven very successful, I can't see them changing it.

I think Lee will be 12th man, providing Gillespie is fit. If Gillespie is unfit, I think hauritz may get a go (as 12th man).

Originally posted by bunsen burner
There is a poll in my head that says 7% of people are stoopid. I can't see Lehmann being 12th man.

yer i think that is the problem with doing polls like that, you'll always get some stupid people who think they're being cool by voting stupidly like that, but the majority are serious, and if its any indication Lee may be heading back for some PC action.

Can't wait for the cricket to start either.

Interesting the balancing act the media and especially the Australian players are doing in the leadup to this series. On one hand, people like Warne are McGrath are virtually saying that they've got the series wrapped up, on the other they're trying to foster the illusion that they think that the English will be tougher then they have been in recent Ashes series.

I know which version I believe is more genuine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

England vs. Australia is somewhat akin to Richmond vs. Essendon.

Each year we hear the same old "We are a different team and will going hard at the ball. We DEMAND respect. We are out there to win this one".

And each year Richmond gets flogged.

Originally posted by wagstaff
Can't wait for the cricket to start either.

Interesting the balancing act the media and especially the Australian players are doing in the leadup to this series. On one hand, people like Warne are McGrath are virtually saying that they've got the series wrapped up, on the other they're trying to foster the illusion that they think that the English will be tougher then they have been in recent Ashes series.

I know which version I believe is more genuine.
They're starting to sledge already. Warne, Mcgrath and Ponting are saying 5-zip, whilst Waugh, Hayden, and langer are paying respect. A common head-fcuk tactic also known as 'good cop-bad cop'.

Well I don't hold out much hope for England but if we're clutching at straws then here goes:

Get in amongst them early, despite Hayden's great 18 months or so he did poortly against us last time & Langer's form seems to have slipped a bit lately.
Get Ponting in nice & early & he can go, he's not been quite as destructive against us as some of your blokes, then I presume Martyn will get the number 4 slot(?), he's a player I like a lot but it has to be said since his return from the wilderness he's managed a very fine average coming in at 6 after a great top ordrer & often it's been a case of plundering an attack that's on it's knees, can he cut it at 4 if a couple of early wickets have gone down?If Boof is in at 4 then the same applies.Steve Waugh still has to show that his last century wasn't a last hurrah & is a genuine return to form.If Lehman is in at 6 then it could be possible to winkle him out for not many.Gilchrist, well what can you say it will help if we actually take the chances off him this time.

For our bowlers we need the pitch to offer something, I read that there's alittle bit of grass on the pitch that they're using for 1st Test, don't know if it's true or how much but we need something like this, we can't compete on the real flat tracks as the last tour match showed as our attack will be toothless & Warne will probably still bowl us out with a load of deliveries that don't turn.If there's swing about then Hoggard can do well for us, if there's not then he's useless(or perhaps even worse), Caddick needs to stand up as leader of the attack if they make a concerted effort to smash him about (which I feel they might) then it could get really ugly.Jones is a real stab in the dark, could get humiliated could cause real problems, could do both in the same innings, he likes to reverse swing the ball so it'll help to play on grounds where the ball gets roughed up a bit (I don't know what the outfields are like at the Test grounds).I'd be surprised if Flintoff takes his wickets at under 40 this series, he's a trier & he tends to bowl the hard overs when not a lot's happening, he hits the deck hard & tries to stem the runs but as for taking wickets..........
Then there's Giles the last in a long line of non spinning spinners from England, can't see him doing much except perhaps bowling round the wicket into the rough with a defensive field.

As for the batting, to have any chance Vaughn & Trescothick need to regularly see out the new ball & then at least one fot hem has to go & make a big score.When they get going together they tend to score quickly which puts the opposition on the back foot, trouble is once one of them is out the run rate ofeten drops & the bowlers get on top again.Trescothick is vitally important as perhaps our only player you fancy to score against Warne, the problem is gillespie seems to have his number(it would help if he's not fully fit).Butcher, Hussain & Crawley need to stand up but I doubt we'll see many runs from 2 of them , Hussain may have a good series or at least start to it but he may get worn down from leading as truggling side.Stewart can make runs against the pacemen but the news that Warne has his flipper going again will give him nightmares.It would surprise me if Flintoff averages above 20 with the bat, the tail could get rolled over a bit too easily.

So for England to win, first they need to win the toss & bat with Vaughn & Trescothick making a big partnership & one going on to a big ton.The middle order needs to stand up & score heavily off the pace attack, have a bit of luck against Warne & then somehow bowl them out for less with hopefully the ball swinging a bit, if the putch is flat & there's no swing then Giles isn't going to do it for us, Jones at the outside to do some damage with his reverse inswinging yorkers.

It's a long shot alright but if we give up before a ball's been bowled then we might as well have not bothered turning up in the first place.

But for me even at the times when we play well & get in a good position & seem to be matching you, Warne will always be the one who takes the agme away from us again.

My tip 4-0.

My Tip?

3-1

England will pull one out of there arse, probably a blinding spell from one of the young quicks (picks up 4-5 for not too many).

Think one will be washed out.

Otherwise Australia to win relatively easily.

What I would like to see?

Australia wrap up the series 3-0 in the first three games, then 'rest' a few key players.

Line-up for the 4th Test: (off the top of my head)

M.Love
M.Hussey
S.Katich
D.Lehmann (c)
M.Clarke
M.North/S.Watson
S.Clingeleffer (wk)
S.Watson/P.Noffke
B.Lee
N.Hauritz
P.Rofe

Either North or Noffke would be 12th Man (depending on Watson as bowler or batsman. I'd play North as 12th, and Watson at #6).

I reckon the English might have a chance then.

Australia win the series 4-1. The loss will be in either Adelaide or Melbourne.

Shane Warne will lead the wicket takers with 36.
Ricky Ponting will top the batting averages.

For England Caddick will take the most wickets only just from Darren Gough purely because he plays all the tests.
Alex Stewart will top the England batting averages.

Australia 5-0.

First Test prediction - Australia in 4 days, with Matthew Hayden getting a double-century. And fortunately for everyone, played in cooler than 50-degree heat.

I'm going to the Shield game at the SCG on Saturday - only $5 to get in, no queues for beer, and the cricket will probably be closer and more competitive than the Test. Plus Mark Waugh will be playing.

Originally posted by DIPPER
... then I presume Martyn will get the number 4 slot(?), he's a player I like a lot but it has to be said since his return from the wilderness he's managed a very fine average coming in at 6 after a great top ordrer & often it's been a case of plundering an attack that's on it's knees, can he cut it at 4 if a couple of early wickets have gone down?
I say Martyn will be the No 1 destroyer of England in the batting order. It is really him that is replacing Mark Waugh and i expect at least 3 first inning centuries this summer. Finally he will have complete freedom in the batting order to step up. Personally i think he would have no trouble opening the innings as has been shown on occasion.

Players who i think will stand out for Australia are Ponting, Gilchrist, Martyn, Warne, Macgrath and Gillespie if fit.

I think the rest will be average.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a webcast of the series? Could be either ABC or BBC of even cricinfo's own team?

Also on a slightly different issue, does anyone else read/subscribe to The Spin at http://sport.guardian.co.uk/thespin ??

Jim Boy, You'll be pleased to know that the ABC will be covering the international games live on national broadcast, which is also done online. I'm fairly sure the link to listening online is here

Otherwise, cricinfo.com or baggygreen.com.au for ball to ball updates.

Originally posted by GoEagles
Jim Boy, You'll be pleased to know that the ABC will be covering the international games live on national broadcast, which is also done online. I'm fairly sure the link to listening online is here

Otherwise, cricinfo.com or baggygreen.com.au for ball to ball updates.
Ta, thanks for that!

Remove this Banner Ad

1st Test - Australia v England

Remove this Banner Ad

Back