AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - The mullet hath returneth - 22/6

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Draper in our mix. We have a lot of quality but predicable soldiers in the mix right now. Draper adds that unpredictability that can open games up, especially around centre clearances and i50 stoppages.

Having said that, we still need him to contribute in the other 70 minutes, by competing in the air better down the line.

As a fwd he will always be an unpredictable kick, but he does demand attention, which theoretically gives the other fwds more opportunity.

He also brings kids to the footy. He is our new Walla in that regard. May he get his body right and let the madness unleash!

I don’t think he’s a good key forward. I just think he’s currently the only player on the team physically capable of playing the role. Circa Cale Hooker 2021

The 7/10 times he gets caught behind the contest is bad, but if he gets it to 5/10 and Jones can bail him out 2-3 times by coming in from the side then that’s a good outcome 7-8 times out of 10 which would be acceptable.

Then it also frees up Wright and Langford to play as leading targets on defenders they can take advantage of.

That’s the thing about this structure. Draper as the “Drop Zone Forward” is still the 4th option after Langford (leading forward) Wright (High Leading Forward) Jones (2nd man up)

Also as good as Gresham has been playing higher he’s should probably spend more time deeper as the best crumber on the team.
I spent the whole preseason bagging the 2 ruck system but eventually came around to this conclusion as well. Drapper isn’t the ideal fwd-ruc or ruc-fwd. long term we need a better solution.

But with this list we need him as our bullocking big aggressive body up there some times to change us up and give us some grunt.

No one else that fits…

Definitely not giving up on him like some. Just needs some luck with injuries to get back to his best
It’s two of those great cliches that is both true and also just as often an excuse.

Guy was out all pre season. Needs a run at it.

Big men take time to develop. Hasn’t developed this year (or last).

Plus (bonus cliche) had anyone mentioned lately that he has a soccer back ground?!?! ;)

If I was ranking issues to solve, dislodging Drapper as our long term ruck sits 5th? 6th?

Good today bar his terrible kicks into 50. Just should not be doing that job.

Similar issue with Goldy last game, our mids/back flanks need to work harder to get hand ball receives from them.

...although with Draper I noticed one play Zach ran past asking for the handball and he ignored him, wouldn't be surprised if Draper overestimated his kicking skills :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be the best a ruck has played for us all year in terms of actual impact on the game. Having a ruck who can run out the front of a stoppage is part of what makes Sydney so good.

If we’re serious about building this side then he needs to play ahead of Goldstein.
Agree with this.

Been great to have Goldie provide a steady hand, but if Draper is fit I think he has to play. Sole or second ruck, needs the games.

Be interested to see how he pulls up after a limited preseason, injury time out then playing 1st ruck.

Per AFL

"Veteran ruck Todd Goldstein was rested for last Sunday's win against West Coast and appears unlikely to return to partner with Sam Draper.

After missing eight weeks, Draper performed strongly against the Eagles, and Essendon will fancy his chances of winning the ruck battle alone."

Might make sense, considering some rain is expected. Gresham back into the side for one of Jones/Caddy/Cox

It was nice to see him take a few overhead marks.
that’s what i noticed the most - he was present at a lot of contests, even if he didn’t clunk them he affected them enough that it went to ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back