Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - 23AA/24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

Really disappointed in Larkey as I think he has so much more to contribute to the team than simply goals.

As one of the most experienced in our side, he is the first to play for a free and look for the easiest option when presenting as a forward. Constantly runs away from the ball carrier and never looks to be the link up player to hold possession pre-inside 50.

The constant head throws and dives when contesting a mark really annoys me. We cannot all get frees and lead the Coleman like Curnow, and it is not the Shinboner mentality.

I wish he could spend a month judging his output on goal assists instead of actual goals as I guarantee we would be a more potent forward line.

The simply reality is that we are top 4 in the comp for clearances and last for scores from clearances. This is an indictment on our forwards and Larkey should be leading the way.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
To be fair Curnow has excellent forward craft, Exceptionally strong hands to take overhead marks and great judgement to get forward position for the passes that come in low, both games this year he was relatively well held by both Pink and Griff but just keeps working to get into contention. tends to let himself down a bit with conversion but gets you with sheer weight of numbers from all the opportunities he produces,

and to be fair Souva isnt that bloke, Souva is as efficient as a suzuki mighty boy and rarely missed inside 40m. but is also built like one comparatively. i doubt he will ever be the fwd focal point like a Curnot but if your after a 2nd banana than will punish the Oppo as soon as you double tag a key FWD his your man, unfortunately we haven't had the foil since Ben Brown left to really exploit him,

dont get me wrong, this isnt just a rant to suggest he isnt doing all he can to improve the situation, i reckon he has to utilise space and get his skates on far more,needs to get seporation. there was a lot of critisim for Bobby Jr not hitting him up yesterday but he never had the carry to clear the contest there and let souva try dining out the back door.

To be fair Curnow has excellent forward craft, Exceptionally strong hands to take overhead marks and great judgement to get forward position for the passes that come in low, both games this year he was relatively well held by both Pink and Griff but just keeps working to get into contention. tends to let himself down a bit with conversion but gets you with sheer weight of numbers from all the opportunities he produces,

and to be fair Souva isnt that bloke, Souva is as efficient as a suzuki mighty boy and rarely missed inside 40m. but is also built like one comparatively. i doubt he will ever be the fwd focal point like a Curnot but if your after a 2nd banana than will punish the Oppo as soon as you double tag a key FWD his your man, unfortunately we haven't had the foil since Ben Brown left to really exploit him,

dont get me wrong, this isnt just a rant to suggest he isnt doing all he can to improve the situation, i reckon he has to utilise space and get his skates on far more,needs to get seporation. there was a lot of critisim for Bobby Jr not hitting him up yesterday but he never had the carry to clear the contest there and let souva try dining out the back door.
It’s like he has to watch Ben Brown tapes to understand what’s required when you’re not a forward with a vertical leap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good game from Souva today.
Cashed in against an ordinary backline and took some really good contested grabs.
Should still kick 50 for the year, despite a couple of flat spots.

Yeah, finished strong after a frustrating start. But he was far from alone amongst his team mates for looking like poo in the early stages.

Good day out 👍🏽

Played really well today and seemed to have more separation on his opponent than normal. Not sure if that was a result of playing a poorer team or the apparent roaming further up the ground?

Provided a marking target further away from goals more often than I can remember in previous games?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Great effort in a side that is 17th for fwd fifty entries.

And then there's his work with Reclink.

1722761182045.png

The dude is a life superstar, funny old world I know another dude involved with footy @ Reclink , a bullies fan. The amount of texts he sends me regarding Nick's work is off its guts.

And Nick doesn't do it for praise , he does it cause he gives a shit about peoples lives and their personal challenges. I do know that on occasion a group of 30 -40 attend our home games, to see their mate Nick.

He deserves a statue.

Great effort in a side that is 17th for fwd fifty entries.

And then there's his work with Reclink.

View attachment 2068975

The dude is a life superstar, funny old world I know another dude involved with footy @ Reclink , a bullies fan. The amount of texts he sends me regarding Nick's work is off its guts.

And Nick doesn't do it for praise , he does it cause he gives a shit about peoples lives and their personal challenges. I do know that on occasion a group of 30 -40 attend our home games, to see their mate Nick.

He deserves a statue.
That's ****en unreal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - 23AA/24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back