Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - 23AA/24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

With a bit more time in the program, a solid AFL pre-season under his belt and with maybe just a little more muscle, I wonder if Bryn Teackle could be the long term FF? Larkey could still have a HFF if he wants.

Can he get a build like Curnow? Or smaller? I would love for him to be that big power forward but i don't think he has the build. I could say that about most of us though lol

He does lead, but he often doesn't do it when he should. And there's some stat somewhere that shows he's the most targeted bloke inside 50 in the league, so he gets more than ample opportunity, which he sometimes converts.

I dunno, I just think it's wrong to have so much talent in the forward line, yet so many of our entries end up with us kicking it to him as he calls for it to be put over the back, or worse, on his head. It's probably a combination of his staying behind and others' not leading, but it frustrates the bejesus out of me when he does it, and others have echoed the same sort of sentiment
i agree with that, but surely its not on Larkey. We have a coach and a forward coach and their job is to develop a system that takes advantage of all the assets we have up front. That doesn't seem to be happening.

i agree with that, but surely its not on Larkey. We have a coach and a forward coach and their job is to develop a system that takes advantage of all the assets we have up front. That doesn't seem to be happening.
or the players are not following the plan, who knows but our current system is poor atm. it has improved since first half of season however but still plenty of scope for more improvement.

or the players are not following the plan, who knows but our current system is poor atm. it has improved since first half of season however but still plenty of scope for more improvement.
I'd expect a bit more by next year. A full season with Teakle traininging forward, maybe Chom and a new draftee could make a difference. I think Maley will give us something too.

Really difficult to talk about Larkey.

We know at his best he's incredible... but other than the 2nd half of 2023, when has he consistently been at 'his best'?

Incredibly frustrating at times, and comes across as lazy with his apparent refusal to lead. We used to have people really put the blowtorch on guys like Jaidyn Stephenson for looking for 'cheapies out the back', but this is something that Larkey does far too often.

Also loves a whinge at the umpires, meaning they probably don't give him as many frees as he deserves.

Can't out-muscle or out-mark many genuine Full Backs, and doesn't out-work defenders by running them around in circles on good leads.

And yet, still seems to rack up the goals with poor I50 delivery.

I just don't know.

Really difficult to talk about Larkey.

We know at his best he's incredible... but other than the 2nd half of 2023, when has he consistently been at 'his best'?

Incredibly frustrating at times, and comes across as lazy with his apparent refusal to lead. We used to have people really put the blowtorch on guys like Jaidyn Stephenson for looking for 'cheapies out the back', but this is something that Larkey does far too often.

Also loves a whinge at the umpires, meaning they probably don't give him as many frees as he deserves.

Can't out-muscle or out-mark many genuine Full Backs, and doesn't out-work defenders by running them around in circles on good leads.

And yet, still seems to rack up the goals with poor I50 delivery.

I just don't know.
He needs someone down there who can hold him accountable and give him a spray

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't take a contested mark but doesn't lead so he can take a mark uncontested.

I don't know man.
The problem is, he has to do both as he doesn’t have someone to mark the ball in the F50…
He can lead and seperate ok, but would need someone there to deliver to

Has he ever got the better of Liam Jones?

Eats him up time after time.

No point in bringing him up today. Back to the bad old days of a midfield getting annihilated, so no easy quick supply into an uncongested forward line, and no competent effort from a second tall forward drawing the second defender away. Ergo, Larkey, as our best key forward, gets absolutely gang banged when the ball does get sploinked in there. **** you Brynn Teakle

Clearly wasn't right but it doesn't have to be this hard. Liam Jones doesn't like it when people lead, Nicholas. Why are you the only person on the ground who fails to see that?

Clearly wasn't right but it doesn't have to be this hard. Liam Jones doesn't like it when people lead, Nicholas. Why are you the only person on the ground who fails to see that?
The lack of movement is not just a Nick problem though.

Our entire forward line would be the most stagnant in the league.

No one moves.

Or they all move to the same f***ing spots.

Our mids proceed to dump kick it on their heads like it’s not the easiest defended entry in footy.

He needs to move more. They all need to move more.

The lack of movement is not just a Nick problem though.

Our entire forward line would be the most stagnant in the league.

No one moves.

Or they all move to the same f***ing spots.

Our mods proceed to dump kick it on their heads like it’s not the easiest defended entry in footy.

He needs to move more. They all need to move more.
Agree. Laziest forward line in the comp. Probably top eight for raw talent, and that's good enough apparently

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - 23AA/24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back