2008 Off Season Activity: Delistings, Trades & Draft Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

McGuane better be signed up ASAP if he isnt. He is one of those players that we just must keep. Unless someone comes in with a seriously good offer then no flipping way.

Mark Seaby has asked ther Eagles for a trade and his manager has contacted the RFC to look at the possibility of continuing his career with us.

Retired

Chris Hyde
Greg Tivendale

Delist
Pettifer(seriously can't be regarded as a finals performer)
Casserly (hasn't been resigned with the other youngsters - hopefuly rookie him as he appears to be able to play when not injured - horror run with injury has cost him)
Rookies
Cartledge - was merely ruck insurance - Simmonds, Patto, Graham and Putt - we don't need Cartledge - as It's no longer Simmonds, Patto, Tuck.
Silvestor - a terrific vfl player.
I highly doubt they will delist any more than that - meaning no psd pick. This won't be too much of a concern as we are able to draft 8 rookies and i think we may take an irishman.

Trades

I highly oppose trading into the club this year. picks are too valuable for us as we aren't a couple of players away from a flag unless they are both Buddy and Judd so no point.

with only 4 spots on our list we should be looking to draft players out for upgraded picks. A pick in the 30's would be gold, as Nut has pointed out.

Even though Shulz has resigned i think he will be shopped around - resigning him just prevents him from walking and he's had a good season so nows a good time. A second rounder would suffice. A higher second rounder may need pick 42 thrown in.
Meyer may also be up for trade although in my opinion he would have to go undervalue due to injuries preventing him from playing senior footy. Another year on the list will be good.
I haven't heard Raines wants out but if he wants out let him go. A third rounder is fair at the moment. If he had had a year as good as his debut year a second rounder would have been realistic.
Polo may be shopped around - as he has become a depth player - but i doubt he will go.

Draft

Vickery if he is available - looks like he will be a quality ruckmen and key forward. is very impressive up front and could be good at full forward working in tandem with a leading player like Hughes or Gourdis.

otherwise - Sidebottom would be a good pick, able to add some extra quality to our midfield and make it a real stand out in time.

pick 26 - If we take Vickery i would think the best mid available - Deboer, Zaharakis, Okeefe, Broadbent, Shoenmaker. If we take mid at pick 8 then i would think best key position available - Roughead, Lynch, Cahill

pick 42 - Neville Jetta looks like a freak. Pace and leap. Could be a versatile small forward. or Ashley Smith - top pace results and had a good TAC cup grand final for Dandy playing on the half forward flank. Looks like dale thomas.

pick 56 - a project player/or best of the rest - Sibosado, Gaertner, Gugliotta - or perhaps Brock Macaully (i think his name is) a 20 year old ruckman with all the attributes who came late to the game from queensland.

i like robinson wat pick do u think he will go? around 20? should we trade a player and our second rounder to go up a bit? also should chase campbell from freo and dowler from hawks, we need young tall fowards.

Shame. I prefer Carts to Graham.

Strange move by the club signing Graham ( I think we could have rookied him).... we've basically played our cards re: Warnock and any other out of contract Ruckman. Doesn't look like the club will be going hard after a Ruck and are considering using Cartledge as insurance if we dont pick someone up in the trade period. We may give someone like Jeff White a one year deal via the PSD but highly doubt it.

So with Graham being signed up Casserly will surely be delisted, unless we can bundle him up with a trade... Freo are you keen. Personally would love to see him rookied.

So with just 2 confirmed delistings and Casserly as a logical choice makes it really hard to see how we are going to go into the trade period. Picks for a players wont work because we need to have three picks in the National draft so a player would have to be traded or delisted as well.

Our best bet is trading a player with a pick for an early pick.

I hope I made sense???

In conclusion our best bet during the trade period is to try and up grade our picks with a player.

Raines would be my first choice... I wouldn't consider trading a Tall and any mids under 22.

What about DANIEL HARRIS. Apparently wants out at the roos, after a bit of a rift with Laidley, and is on the market. Look his age is a facor, but TErry said we are 'locked and loaded' and a premier midfielder is high on the agenda. Is he the answer?

What about DANIEL HARRIS. Apparently wants out at the roos, after a bit of a rift with Laidley, and is on the market. Look his age is a facor, but TErry said we are 'locked and loaded' and a premier midfielder is high on the agenda. Is he the answer?

Harris is not a good option for us. Will cost a valuable pick. And we don't need a slow clearance player. We have a good clearance department and I am banking on Cogs coming back and playing from the bench. There's no place in our midfield for Harris and I highly doubt Terry would want him. I reckon he would suit Sydney with their stoppage play, or Freo as they have lost a bit of ball winning ability with the retirements of M Carr, Bell, McManus.

Well trade week is done and dusted and I have now updated the list to reflect where we stand heading into final delistings and the 2008 draft.

Whatever is going to go down with the delistings I just hope they get it right. I am feeling that it will be Polak and Cass both off the main list onto the rookie list to join Collard. Which gives us 3 spots on the list now we got Thomson and with that we can use picks 8,26,58.

Means we are out of the PSD but I would like to see another year of Meyer, JON and even Pettifer as he is clearly an AFL standard player who just had a nightmare season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't it nothing because he is out of contract :confused:

wrong...... because he was undercontract when he was injured we must pay him what he was on regardless if we contract him or not... until he is employable again... we must also cover his medical expenses... His current contract would be around 250k 300.... medical bill around 30k.... + a replacement on the list... thats close to 400k..... .

Cheapest move would be to sign him on a cheap 2 year deal.... 250 over 2 years...

Have updated the OP to include all currently listed players as we head into the 2009 season. Have also included those whose spots are under threat including rookies.

I've heard that Richmond are looking at:

Pick 8: Hartlett/Ziebell/Sidebottom/Swift/Vikery
Pick 26: McKernan/Redden/Cahill/Suban/Roughead
Pick 58: Shuey/Redden

Remove this Banner Ad

2008 Off Season Activity: Delistings, Trades & Draft Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back