2008 Official BigFooty Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who have been reading my mock it should come as no surprise I am going with Rolfe here. I think he would be a very nice pick up for the Lions. He will start as a quick HFF and and move later into the midfield as he builds his tank. Being 19 and having played senior football this year he could also play next year.

Brisbane Pick 81 Peter Rolfe

Peter Rolfe (DOB – 5/10/89, Ht – 182, Wt – 82)

I rate Rolfe and I am going to have him taken high notwithstanding that I haven’t seen him in anyone else’s mock to date. I was one of the few that had Wona in his mock last year and Rolfe could very easily have the same kind of impact this year. He was one of the better players for NT at the Champs last year and was the best player for them this year in my opinion. Last year he played mostly up front and picked up a few goals but this year played mostly in the midfield. He won a lot of ball in the middle and was the clear leader through the middle of the ground for NT. He is strong over the ball, reads the ball well off hands, has good awareness of what is around him and holds his feet very well in the contest. He has good hands in close and his kicking and decision making is very good. He is quick and very elusive, runs well with the ball and works the corridor. He has a nice flat left foot kick from which he gets good penetration and clears 50 metres when needed. Wona last year played mostly in the middle as well for NT but was dangerous when he went forward. It is very much the same with Rolfe and I can see him starting his AFL career up front. As for his prospects up forward it is worth noting that in the SA testing he was third in the 20m sprint (2.94), won the agility test (8.22) and third in the vertical jump (74cm). Great results that could indicate what a difficult match up he presents for opposition teams and you would think that a few teams that haven’t seen much of him might go back to the tapes and take another look. He does need to work on his tank and apparently he did not perform well in the endurance testing. It is also worth noting that he played the Champs as an overage player. I have him going in the second round but I think on the day he is likely to go lower (perhaps he could even last to the rookie draft) but I can see a few teams wishing they picked him in the second round by the time he is finished.

I am not saving my last pick for Davis. If he could not get his head together in Sydney I am not sure he is going to do it in Brisbane. Accordingly I am going with another youngster and I thought I might go with a key position with my last pick. With 7 picks I can't see the Lions not taking a key position at some stage. It came down to two NT reps in Gugliotta and Sibosado and I decided to go with Sibosado who I think might develop into a Darryl White type utility and he would be very handy in this role for the Lions.

Brisbane Pick 82 - Casey Sibosado

Casey Sibosado (DOB – 13/10/90, Ht – 191, Wt – 85)

Melbourne based kid who boarded at Xavier, played some games for Oakleigh and played in the Div 2 Champs for the NT. He plays well above his listed height and is a legitimate key position player. In fact at the Champs he did a fair bit of rucking provided a contest winning a few and at least keeping the opposing rucks honest. He moves very nicely for a big guy, is rangy and covers the ground extremely well. He plays mostly as a forward although he will work up onto this wing to get the ball as a true CHF. Probably the main strength in his game is his contested marking and he is a real presence in the forward line. His kicking for goal is pretty good and certainly up there with the forwards who are likely to be taken around him in the draft. His field kicking is also solid and he seems to have pretty good awareness of what is going on around him. There have been some who have compared him to Buddy Franklin and that is more than a little over the top but in fairness he does move a little like him. He has been hidden away a little playing for NT and Xavier for most of the year but he showed some good development at Oakleigh and teams are going to look at him and think there is still a fair bit development left in him. He has a high ceiling and is someone I think teams are going to be willing to take a chance on later in the draft. He was an attendee at camp.

Geez Quigs you really rate Rolfe don't you. Sounds like a player we could use.

Sibosado has lots of useful attributes. He could be the next Caleb Mourish but it's worth the gamble this late.

Ziebell, Beams, T Hill, Hall, Richardson, Rolfe and Sibosado would be a good intake for Brisbane. Well done. :thumbsu:

Carlton (Selection 80)

Taking a bit of a risk here, but at 80, I reckon you can have a bit of a crack. Looking for an inside mid, and it wasn't until I picked up my copy of Inside Footy that I found one.

Warren Benjamin

Extremely quick (2.76 @20m at 2008 SS), hard at the footy and and he is very very strongly built. From what I have heard, needs some work on his kicking, but prepared to take a gamble that it can be fixed.

Sounds a lot like a guy Carlton have just delisted HBF.;)

Carlton (Selection 80)

Taking a bit of a risk here, but at 80, I reckon you can have a bit of a crack. Looking for an inside mid, and it wasn't until I picked up my copy of Inside Footy that I found one.

Warren Benjamin

Extremely quick (2.76 @20m at 2008 SS), hard at the footy and and he is very very strongly built. From what I have heard, needs some work on his kicking, but prepared to take a gamble that it can be fixed.

i would be very happy with this pick. i just hope we redraft his brother and he can get his body right.

Yea i think Warren would be a real bargain at this end of the draft, as he is such a raw talent. This year he was apart of the WA u/18 squad, played a couple of league games at claremont and won the claremont colts b&f along with being named in ruck rover in the 2008 WAFL Colts team of the year.

Hopefully clinton can be back at carlton too, as these to boys have so much talent and from what i have heard clinton is fully fit and healthy.

Yea i think Warren would be a real bargain at this end of the draft, as he is such a raw talent. This year he was apart of the WA u/18 squad, played a couple of league games at claremont and won the claremont colts b&f along with being named in ruck rover in the 2008 WAFL Colts team of the year.

Hopefully clinton can be back at carlton too, as these to boys have so much talent and from what i have heard clinton is fully fit and healthy.

Seems unlikely as he's not even training at the club. It's always possible but unlikely you'd reckon.

i just hope we redraft his brother and he can get his body right.
Since when does the wrong attitude or not wanting to play football count as an injury? :confused:

IIRC, Benjamin was playing VFL reserves with Aisake this year.

I hope Benjamin is a success with what he does post-Carlton, but I don't want the Blues to re-draft him if he doesn't want to commit to being an AFL footballer.

Joseph and Ellard were given a second year on the rookie list because they reportedly busted a gut after being told they might be cut. :thumbsu:

I know some Melbourne supporters would probably like to see us take an another key forward here, but Melbourne can't expect to fill all of our forward needs in just one draft & we've already picked up 2 great options. I would've taken Jones if available, but he went and i think there are better other options.

Pick 76 - Melbourne - Liam Shiels

Also thought about Gotch & Stanton here. I lent away from Stanton as i've already taken Swift & Broadbent who are both taller midfield utilities.

Shiels is a bottom ager who had a great u16 carnival last year and followed that up with a solid u18 carnival this year, but he maybe should've done a bit more. A bigger possessions winner who does really well at the clearances, and he can find the goals when he goes forward. Kicking can be a bit off at times, but he is usually a pretty good kick.

He's a part of the AIS squad and he's one who i see having a big upside, a player who you try to sneak in late at the end of one draft, who if not picked up could be a top 30 pick next year.

Geez, i didn't realise he was still available!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems unlikely as he's not even training at the club. It's always possible but unlikely you'd reckon.

He doesnt have to be training with them to be fully fit, and hes been back in melbourne for about 6 weeks now. If he isnt picked up as a rookie at carlton then i think he will be rookied at another club, who that will be im not sure :)

tom simpkin and zac ledin have been left out late.
i would have thought they are both 4th 5th round picks.??
can any1 help me on that?

Since when does the wrong attitude or not wanting to play football count as an injury? :confused:

IIRC, Benjamin was playing VFL reserves with Aisake this year.

I hope Benjamin is a success with what he does post-Carlton, but I don't want the Blues to re-draft him if he doesn't want to commit to being an AFL footballer.

Joseph and Ellard were given a second year on the rookie list because they reportedly busted a gut after being told they might be cut. :thumbsu:

I doubt Clint Benji will get picked up by an AFL club......really shoed very little in 2 years on our least.....very good athlete...but not an AFL standard player......same as many "project players"
He obviously wasnt rated highly by other clubs as he fell to pick 51 for us.....and he has done nothing at all to enhance opinion on him

Hmmmm...Bourky23 was online last night and didn't make his pick. I messaged him a couple of times about the fact St.Kilda have an extra pick, plus I sent him the new draft order yesterday morning. The opening post of this thread was up to date and indicated that it was St.Kilda's turn, so he's not really got an excuse for not making his pick last night.

Should we just give him Nathan Carroll and move on? Give him a pass? Get someone else to make the pick?

We have three picks to go in the whole draft and I know that myself and HBF will be able make our picks quickly enough.

Hmmmm...Bourky23 was online last night and didn't make his pick. I messaged him a couple of times about the fact St.Kilda have an extra pick, plus I sent him the new draft order yesterday morning. The opening post of this thread was up to date and indicated that it was St.Kilda's turn, so he's not really got an excuse for not making his pick last night.

Should we just give him Nathan Carroll and move on? Give him a pass? Get someone else to make the pick?

We have three picks to go in the whole draft and I know that myself and HBF will be able make our picks quickly enough.

Alex Silvagni might be a strong show for the Saints later in the draft.

I'm going to be offline for a few hours so I messaged my final pick to HBF, since he is picking after me. If Bourky comes online and makes his pick then HBF can finish the draft in one move by posting my pick and his own. ;)

He doesnt have to be training with them to be fully fit, and hes been back in melbourne for about 6 weeks now. If he isnt picked up as a rookie at carlton then i think he will be rookied at another club, who that will be im not sure :)

I wasn't talking about his fitness, merely the fact that he hasn't even been given a chance to impress the coaching staff to be drafted again ala Lachie Hill and Sam Jacobs.

He'd have to be back in WA wouldn't he?

Wouldn't know HBF. Just know that he isn't training with the club.

I guess this is a good year for someone like him to be given a second chance, as all clubs are going to be reaching deep with later picks and there's always the added rookies to the rookie list.

Remove this Banner Ad

2008 Official BigFooty Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back