2009 Trade Discussion- Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok well Ive got 6 trades left at the moment and once Ballantyne has played two games i will go:
Sidebottom-->Ballantyne
Krakour --> S.J/Deledio

I then have 4 trades left and I want to use them for LTI's but Houlihan--> Ellis is so tempting. Thoughts??

Will probably trade out Chad this week. Looking at Milburn & Hodge. Both should be about 300k come round 13. Both have injury clouds hanging over them but both are a bargain. Thoughts? Or wait a couple of weeks and pick up Birchall instead?

I would rank them in the following order

Hodge- Looked well over his injury's, and could return to the 90+ average we expect
Ellis - Another one not considered, but has done very well since returning from injury. Seems to be playing off the flank, with stints in midfield
Birchall - Solid scorer (exept on the weekend :eek: ). Can always exepct a 80
Burgoyne - Still averaging 84, but his spot in the side, is questionable, and his role
Milburn - Better options have arisen in the cats defense as far as rebound goes. Scarlett, Mackie, Enright all stealing his ball

I would rank them in the following order

Hodge- Looked well over his injury's, and could return to the 90+ average we expect
Ellis - Another one not considered, but has done very well since returning from injury. Seems to be playing off the flank, with stints in midfield
Birchall - Solid scorer (exept on the weekend :eek: ). Can always exepct a 80
Burgoyne - Still averaging 84, but his spot in the side, is questionable, and his role
Milburn - Better options have arisen in the cats defense as far as rebound goes. Scarlett, Mackie, Enright all stealing his ball

Seems about right HE. Ellis I reckon has the ability to have the highest average out of the lot, injury is his only concern. Im almost resigned to the fact that Hodge will be tagged in EVERY game. Even this week when he was matched up on Brown, Selwood was trying to mark Hodge as well, until he popped out his shoulder and the medicos decided to pop it in, in front of thousands of fans :p.

I note Gilham looks like he might be back for the Eagles game.

Could mean that with Murphy and Gilham down back - Hodge may be released to play on his favourite opponent again (vacant grass).

I am doing Pearce -> Bartel (Jimhouse you cant convince me otherwise) and if i have enough cash - will do Houlihan to Goddard.

If i can't do that - i'll go Houlihan to Hodge

The Hawthorn Defense is really an interesting situation

Last year it was

B: Guerra --- Gillham --- Brown/Ellis
HB: Hodge --- Croad --- Birchall

Guerra, Birchal and Hodge handled most of the ball down back
Gilham , croad, and brown when in defense handled the opponents

This year, injuries have riddeled that defense
Guerra has become a stopper
Birchal remains his limited rebound work
Hodge HAD become a stopper, but as the poster above stated, he may return to this with gilham returning
Croad still being out, has meant that campbell brown is permantly in defense

This year
B: Guerra --- Gilham --- Brown
HB: Ellis ---- Hodge ---- Birchall

Ellis, Hodge (from now on), Birchall handling the rebound
Guerra, Brown, and Gilham handling the opponents

Affect that has
Birchall - Output still the same
Hodge - Output should be up since joining the rebounders
Ellis - Output should be on the up
Guerra - Output on the down, being a stopper
Gilham - DT output still shithouse
Brown - DT output down, being moved back

Ofcourse there will be rookies that come into the side, but they will mainly come in as stoppers. Rookies dont usually come into sides as major ball winners in defense or quarterbacks (i hate that term)

So in answer to that
Hodge and Ellis should handle most ball out of defense (both 90 avg)
Birchall to continue his usual work (80 avg or so)

So it comes down to Hodge vs Elllis
I would go for Hodge personally, for the upside, but i will let you do the research :D

We dont get many Hawks games over here in WA
If he has moved into the midfield, then that sets him with a whole new different set of players. Provided he is playing on the wing (which i think is where he would play) then his main rival would be Chance Bateman, who usually tags these days, so the signs are still posotive

So the question would be
Hodge with the rebound in the backline
vs
Ellis with gametime in the midfield/wing

Personally im looking at getting both in my time. I got hodge last week, and am looking for a Chad cornes replacement, below his price, and Ellis seems to be the one presenting the highest potential return

frikkin hate this split round thingo... been planning in bringing in bartel > rich for so long.. and have to wait two weeks to do it.. I guess a fair few people are thinking the same thing?

I note Gilham looks like he might be back for the Eagles game.

Could mean that with Murphy and Gilham down back - Hodge may be released to play on his favourite opponent again (vacant grass).

I am doing Pearce -> Bartel (Jimhouse you cant convince me otherwise) and if i have enough cash - will do Houlihan to Goddard.

If i can't do that - i'll go Houlihan to Hodge

Can I see my post in doing this?
TBH I don't remember convincing you to do this at all.
In fact all I remember is someone saying they wanted to trade in Kornes for Pearce but have a feeling Pearce has some big scoring to do in the back end of the season. I really can't remember who but I'm assuming this was you! :confused:

What do people think about Green? Averaged 97 last year and 89 the year before. Will drop to about 330k maybe even less. Could be a straight swap for someone like Rich. Was looking at him and Salopek to finish off my mids.

Seems to be playing more of a forward role this year - watched the queens birthday game and he would of been in the centre square for <5 ball ups in total id reckon. Not a DT friendly/productive role this, and i think he will only average mid 80s unless he can get back in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do people think about Green? Averaged 97 last year and 89 the year before. Will drop to about 330k maybe even less. Could be a straight swap for someone like Rich. Was looking at him and Salopek to finish off my mids.

I think that he's in the top 10 mids, but I agree with Lakey - I don't like the role that Green has been playing since he has returned, and although Salopek has been scoring poorly of late, I prefer his back 50 link-up role to Green's.

I think that he's in the top 10 mids, but I agree with Lakey - I don't like the role that Green has been playing since he has returned, and although Salopek has been scoring poorly of late, I prefer his back 50 link-up role to Green's.
Green in the top 10 are you serious?
Sewell
Hayes
Montagna
Ablett
Bartel
Selwood
Kornes
Swan
MM
Gibbs
Pendles
Edwards
Tuck
Judd
All have better scoring potential than Green

Terrible call

Green in the top 10 are you serious?
Sewell
Hayes
Montagna
Ablett
Bartel
Selwood
Kornes
Swan
MM
Gibbs
Pendles
Edwards
Tuck
Judd
All have better scoring potential than Green

Terrible call

I'm not really talking about potential, but anyway: Green > Judd, Tuck. Edwards and Pendles are thereabouts, I can see Pendles fading as he starts to get tagged (has had a pretty free run thus far), Green was a better DT'er than Edwards last year. Will be interesting to see if Sewell and Hayes continue their rich vein of form right through to the end of the season. The rest I'll easily give you along with Corey

Seems to be playing more of a forward role this year - watched the queens birthday game and he would of been in the centre square for <5 ball ups in total id reckon. Not a DT friendly/productive role this, and i think he will only average mid 80s unless he can get back in the middle.

Cheers guys :thumbsu:. I also watched the Queens Birthday game and didn't see much of him in the centre square. Will keep a close eye on him come Friday night

Top 10 overall or top 10 average because there is a big difference

Yeah I know what you mean.

Nobody talks about what they used to cover Ablett for the weeks he was injured. I'm sorry but you didn't get 125 that week guys.

Montagna > Ablett

lol Green is not in the top 25 atm let alone the top 10, I could add another 15 mids to that list that I would rather have than Green. Hasnt been particularly good since returning from broken face.

Nobody talks about what they used to cover Ablett for the weeks he was injured. I'm sorry but you didn't get 125 that week guys.

Montagna > Ablett

In saying that Montagna was abit of a suprise to do as well as he has been. Props if you picked him from the start.

I wanted a continually high scoring captain choice ala Ablett and hes done his job. I know his soft and in a team that will baby him around injuries but when hes on the park hes been solid most weeks. Im not unhappy at all at selecting him, his hungry as for the brownlow and racking up massive scores to try and get it which is perfect. I think its kind of unfair to judge a player having a massive year vs a player who had massive previous years and cant really improve DT wise much on prior years avg wise.

Montagna > Ablett

in the 2 weeks he missed i took 81 and 111 from coughlan.

Ablett - 1119 + Coughlan 192 = 1311

Montagna = 1269

Ablett > Montagna

A really good pick up should be Bob Murphy, after the round, his price will drastically decrease because he got injured midway against Melbourne thus had a price drop and against Port he was playing a softer role because he was returning from injury so he should drop even more. This is my first year DTing so I'm not an absolute genius but I do remember Robert Murphy was something like $391k at the start of the year so he should be very good value when he returns to the forward line which will be after the extended break.

Remove this Banner Ad

2009 Trade Discussion- Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back