Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
2011 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

The previous thread is still going strong, but it's up to 1,500 posts and the poll at the top annoys me. So I figured I'd start a new one for the coming months, and hopefully it saves other threads from being randomly derailed into draft and trade talk. Also would be nice not to have a new rumour thread popping up every day, because I'm sure they will be arriving soon.

So who is in danger of being delisted?

Any third year rookies next year?

What should we be looking for in the draft or trade week?

Favourite prospects for the draft?

Current contract situation....

Tarrant
McPharlin
Mundy
Walters
Bucovaz
Hall
Headland
Dodd
O'Brien
Hinkley
Murphy

Johnson
Clarke
Schammer
Duffield
Crowley
Palmer
Morabito
Fyfe
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Ruffles
Mayne
Bradley
Hayden

Suban
Ballantyne
Barlow
Ibbotson
Crichton
Roberton
de Boer
Silvagni

Sandilands
Hill
Broughton

Pavlich

Rookies
Sibosado
Pearce
Shepheard
Van Berlo

Veterans
Grover

My tips for our draft are;

Pick 20
Darling - KF (highly unlikely)
Conca - mid (unlikely???)
Prestia - mid
Parker - mid
Tape - ute/KP
Karnezis - ute/KP
Green - mid
---------------------------------------
Next 2 picks, from;
Karnezis - ute/KP
Green - mid
Chalwell - KP
Browne - ute/defender
Johnson - KP
Hamp - KP
Mullett - mid/flank
Batchelor - defender/ute
Fitzgerald - KP
----------------------------------------

ROOKIE:
Andreoli - mid
Monaco - KP
Ruffles
Bucovaz
O'Dwyer - back flank
Chalwell - KP
Hamp - KP
Grover - mid
Mullett - mid/flank
Stevens - forward/mid
Phillips - flank

Tarrant - Trade
McPharlin - re-sign
Mundy - re-sign (hopefully not trade)
Walters - re-sign
Bucovaz - 1 year contract or delist
Hall - 1 year contract or delist
Headland - delist/retire
Dodd - delist
O'Brien - delist
Hinkley - delist
Murphy - delist

Schammer - Trade

Rookies
Sibosado - 3rd year
Pearce - upgrade
Shepheard - 3rd year
Van Berlo - upgrade

veterans
Grover - 1 year contract

So if you count Solomon, Hasleby, Thornton.

IMO We should trade/delist/retire:
Solomon
Hasleby
Thornton
Murphy
Hinkley
O'Brien
Dodd
Headland
Tarrant
Schammer

So that's 10 player who would no longer be on the list.

Add to that 2 rookies upgraded and we'd need 8 new players to the club.

If we get a player/pick for Schammer and Tarrant then that's still 6 spots we need with the draft picks we currently have. I'd say someone like Headland/Hinkley may not be traded/delisted just yet.

If we go the full clean out like above I think we will struggle to get any decent players with picks in the 70s so I can see the club hanging onto a few. Shit Schammer is contracted for next year so he may not go anyway.

Heading into the off season, we have 3 real needs in my opinion - speed, shut down defenders and tall forwards. Getting another ruck would be a late priority.

So, some guys who I like and think would suit our game....

Tall Defenders - Seb Tape, Pat McCarthy, Matt Watson
Medium Defenders - Angus Litherland, Cameron Guthrie
Small Defenders - Dyson Heppell, Nathan Batley

Tall Forwards - Luke Mitchell, Jake von Bertouch

Midfielders - Warrick Andreoli, Alex Fasolo, Reece Conca, Cameron Johnston, Jamie Cripps, Ben Newton, George Horlin-Smith

Remember that while Barlow, DeBoer and Silvagni have been given new contracts they are still technically on the rookie list at the moment. So don't forget to count them as rookie upgrades....

Long term contracts - McPharlin, Mundy, Walters
1 year contracts - Bucovaz, Hinkley

Delist - Murphy, O'Brien, Dodd, Headland, Hall
Retire - Hasleby, Thornton, Solomon
Trade - Tarrant, Schammer

Rookie upgrades - Barlow, Silvagni, DeBoer, van Berlo, Sibosado
3rd year rookies - Shepheard, Pearce

All up, that would give us 5 free spots on the senior list. If we needed more room (depending on trades) then I would consider leaving van Berlo/Sibosado on the rookie list for another year or delisting Hinkley and bringing him back on the rookie list.

hmmm probably wont look very deeply at the draft this year. I got pretty pissed when we went Fyfe over Aaron Black... will just trust that the club does the right thing.

Tarrant
McPharlin - Whatever he wants
Mundy - Whatever he wants
Walters - 2 year deal
Bucovaz - Persist with
Hall - Persist with
Headland - Delist
Dodd - Delist
O'Brien - Delist
Hinkley - Delist then re-rookie (So many kids have gone past him its not funny)
Murphy - Delist

Rookie upgrades - Barlow, Silvagni, DeBoer, van Berlo, Sibosado
3rd year rookies - Shepheard, Pearce

And ill be taking all of Chris's draft analysis with a grain of salt.

And ill be taking all of Chris's draft analysis with a grain of salt.

I appreciate the fact that you called it an 'analysis'. Was very kind of you. And I would suggest other people follow suit and take what I say with 'a grain of salt'. Some people may appreciate it though, as it could help them in putting together their own uneducated mocks. ;)

Oh, and I'm sure people will be glad to know that I don't have a favourite this year. So no weekly posts about the one player like last year (Troy Taylor). :)

I appreciate the fact that you called it an 'analysis'. Was very kind of you. And I would suggest other people follow suit and take what I say with 'a grain of salt'. Some people may appreciate it though, as it could help them in putting together their own uneducated mocks. ;)

Oh, and I'm sure people will be glad to know that I don't have a favourite this year. So no weekly posts about the one player like last year (Troy Taylor). :)

It's still early days ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the link posted above....

Defenders Antoni Grover and Luke McPharlin have also yet to commit for 2011. While McPharlin is likely to stay, particularly if Tarrant leaves, Grover, if unwanted by the Dockers, could also be targeted by the Blues and Hawks.

Second time I have read Grover could be targeted, although this journalist probably just read that in the other article. Think its pretty safe to say he wont be going anywhere though, not with Tarrant leaving.

Dockers assistant coach Chris Scott last night said the club would be in the market for a key forward and needed to add midfield depth.

Doesn't say whether he means through the draft or trade week. That article does mention O'hAilpin.... :D

Another article that was posted in the Tarrant thread....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-david-mundy-bid/story-e6frf9jf-1225918727104

Late call-up Des Headland could be told as early as this week he is no longer required and the raft of delistings is also expected to include reserve forward Ryan Murphy and young midfielder Clayton Hinkley.

Don't turn this into a 'we hate Hinkley' thread. I'm depressed enough as it is.

Headland's manager, Wayne Loxley, said yesterday that despite his injury setbacks, the player was keen to go on for another season.
"The last month or so he's been getting better and better each week. He would be hoping it's not his last game, that's for sure," Loxley said.

We have picks 20, 37, 54, 71, 88.

Some musings.

If we use the late picks for upgrades it leaves us 2 "early":rolleyes: picks (the price of a successful surge up the ladder I guess).

Kep aside, we have been successful in not drafting players who are outside of their team's starting 22 and instead focussed on youth (again successfully).

Assuming we want to stick with a squad of 46 then (say) 10 players to replace.

We have a young list so, even with salary increases to Pav and Mundy we should still have room in the cap.

Compromised draft likely to greater attention in the ND to second level leagues which will likely result in less scope for getting quality mature age rookies.

This is a rough analysis but a preliminary conclusion is that we go into 2011 with a small rookie list and focus on trading for draft picks.

BTW Chris, why do you believe Hall should be cut?

F*** Headland is a selfish prick! He's always played that way and now he wants another year when clearly he should retire.

Nice one Des, put yourself before the team as usual just to earn some $. You've shafted us for 6 years by taking a salary under false pretenses and now you want to do it for another year and in the process deny us the chance of drafting another kid.

You're nothing but a thief! P*** off already!!!

Hopefully the story is right and the club won't fall for it.

Nice thread Chris. :thumbsu:

A couple of questions for everyone -

i) How have Hall, Bucavez and Hinkley been going the last few months?

ii) A few people have Schammer as a "trade", but does he have any value? I'd say he's in a similar place to Bradley when he came to the club in that if Schammer entered the draft he'd possibly be picked up but that it's unlikely that anyone would part with anything to get him. Trade week's pretty chaotic, I can't see the other 16 clubs making a short bloke who isn't overly quick and has poor skills and even worse decision making a priority.

iii) Is Pearce a real chance to be cut? I'll be surprised if Clanceeee's not with us next season but don't think he's done enough to go onto the senior list. If he can find a yard of pace after another summer on the track and spending plenty of time with a sprinting coach then Pearce will be a handy list player IMO.

BTW Chris, why do you believe Hall should be cut?

I don't actually think he will be cut. The club has shown a willingness to give kids a third year, particularly those who have been injured. But I'd prefer we tried to get him onto the rookie list.

I have doubts over whether he is a midfielder at AFL level, or just another half forward. Guys like Bollenhagen have gone past him, so Hall is pretty close to the bottom of our list. Just with the number of rookie upgrades, someone had to make way.

Neither Hall or Bucovaz have played WAFL since Round 14. The club didn't really say why either. Although I think Hall had a hip problem, and Bucovaz may have had a knee injury.

Hinkley is still going around with Swan Districts. Playing defensive roles in the middle and across half forward. Was apparently beaten by Blackwell on the weekend, but then went forward and did OK.

Hall has talent but apparently he struggles with homesickness. We can't carry him any more if that's the case. If you're getting homesick at an AFL club and at the age of 20yo you must be very weak of mind.

I hope I'm wrong though because I like the way he plays the game.

Nice thread Chris. :thumbsu:

A couple of questions for everyone -

ii) A few people have Schammer as a "trade", but does he have any value? I'd say he's in a similar place to Bradley when he came to the club in that if Schammer entered the draft he'd possibly be picked up but that it's unlikely that anyone would part with anything to get him. Trade week's pretty chaotic, I can't see the other 16 clubs making a short bloke who isn't overly quick and has poor skills and even worse decision making a priority.

iii) Is Pearce a real chance to be cut? I'll be surprised if Clanceeee's not with us next season but don't think he's done enough to go onto the senior list. If he can find a yard of pace after another summer on the track and spending plenty of time with a sprinting coach then Pearce will be a handy list player IMO.

Bucovaz is injured again Dom. Only played about 10 games again this year and was ok in them. Played key forward.

Hinkley is going ok but probably not good enough to be kept on the main list. His amin weapon is his pace but he doesn't use it to effect and the rest of his game is just average and his kicking has no depth.

I agree on Schammer, he has no trade value IMO. He'll be playing WAFL or SANFL next year for sure and the only AFL list he has any chance of being on is ours.

I disagree on Clancee though. I think he'll seek opportunities elsewhere and the club will be happy to accomodate that.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back