2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

ii) A few people have Schammer as a "trade", but does he have any value? I'd say he's in a similar place to Bradley when he came to the club in that if Schammer entered the draft he'd possibly be picked up but that it's unlikely that anyone would part with anything to get him. Trade week's pretty chaotic, I can't see the other 16 clubs making a short bloke who isn't overly quick and has poor skills and even worse decision making a priority.

I doubt any team would make Schammer a priority. But if he is cheap, then I could see another team just throwing something our way to give him a chance. Particularly if a WA kid wants to come home, for example a Griffin or Morton.

iii) Is Pearce a real chance to be cut? I'll be surprised if Clanceeee's not with us next season but don't think he's done enough to go onto the senior list. If he can find a yard of pace after another summer on the track and spending plenty of time with a sprinting coach then Pearce will be a handy list player IMO.

I would think Pearce has a better chance of being promoted than delisted, not that I necessarily agree. The only way he wont be on our list in my opinion, is if we offer him a third year on the rookie list and he declines.

Nice one Des, put yourself before the team as usual just to earn some $. You've shafted us for 6 years by taking a salary under false pretenses and now you want to do it for another year and in the process deny us the chance of drafting another kid.

He's been at Fremantle for 8 seasons.

Some musings.

If we use the late picks for upgrades it leaves us 2 "early":rolleyes: picks (the price of a successful surge up the ladder I guess).

Kep aside, we have been successful in not drafting players who are outside of their team's starting 22 and instead focussed on youth (again successfully).

Assuming we want to stick with a squad of 46 then (say) 10 players to replace.

We have a young list so, even with salary increases to Pav and Mundy we should still have room in the cap.

Compromised draft likely to greater attention in the ND to second level leagues which will likely result in less scope for getting quality mature age rookies.

This is a rough analysis but a preliminary conclusion is that we go into 2011 with a small rookie list and focus on trading for draft picks.

BTW Chris, why do you believe Hall should be cut?

We will have a few more than 2 picks available you'd think, Hase/Thornton/Solly are definates, then there is Murph/Dodd/Des/Hinkley/BoB as probably, with Taz and maybe a Schammer up for trades aswell.

Definately think we should be working on pick upgrades. Needing the rookie picks gives us a handy bargaining tool, allowing us to take some big downgrades on our last few picks, for clubs interested in upgrading our 3rd-4th rounder.

Some may think gee, upgrading 71 to late 50's, big deal, but I really do think that could be handy in this draft. Supposedly the talent this year isn't shallow, and with a potential focus on mature aged players, some quality kids may slide, ala Crichton last year.

I reckon Hall is safe as houses, was getting alot of WAFL report love a while back. He should easily outlast all of the probable delists above.

Probably not a pressing need but Andreoli and Cripps are 2 players i wouldnt mind running around for us on subi oval both very pacy and have good foot skills.

Angus Litherland also looks a likely prospect dashing defender who at 192cm could develop into a kpd. Our need for another mature body in the middle could possibley be filled by Sweet or Bewick maybe in the later rounds of the draft.

Added another link at the top of the thread. It's the list of official delistings, for those of you who like to sift through the dregs of other clubs.

Personally, I don't mind Jarrhan Jacky (small forward) and Warren Benjamin (very fast mid). Both have the talent, but neither seemed to put everything in. Getting delisted might be the kick they need. Would only consider them as rookies of course.

I doubt any team would make Schammer a priority. But if he is cheap, then I could see another team just throwing something our way to give him a chance. Particularly if a WA kid wants to come home, for example a Griffin or Morton.
I think trading Schammer for Griffin would be a very good decision, we need some insurance should Sandi miss some of next year due to his knee injury.

I think trading Schammer for Griffin would be a very good decision, we need some insurance should Sandi miss some of next year due to his knee injury.
Agree,
And on Schammer, last year we all thought Peakey wasn't worth a pinch of shit and clubs wouldn't be prioritizing to get him, but we ended up getting a pick that nabbed us Jesse Crichton, and Peake has held his spot all year in maybe the Premier team of the comp.

I don't think you'll get much love on that call Scham.

Only around here Dom, and when you look at the nouse of some of our posters eg, ones that rate Griffin above Kepler and Clarke, I really don't have a problem with that.;)

Miller is KP who can play forward or back and if we can get him with our 4th or 5th pick would be very good depth over the next 2 years whilst some of our young KP stocks mature.

Only around here Dom, and when you look at the nouse of some of our posters eg, ones that rate Griffin above Kepler and Clarke, I really don't have a problem with that.;)

Miller is KP who can play forward or back and if we can get him with our 4th or 5th pick would be very good depth over the next 2 years whilst some of our young KP stocks mature.

He can't kick...big tank...about all he's got...apart from a smoking hot girlfriend :D

Draft Combine: September 28 (Tuesday) - October 1 (Friday)

Trade Week: October 4 (Monday) - October 11 (Monday)

Gold Coast Uncontracted Players Deadline: October 7 (Thursday)

List Lodgement 1 (Rookie upgrades, 3rd year rookies): October 29 (Friday)

National Draft: November 18 (Thursday)

Preseason / Rookie Draft: December 7 (Tuesday)

Full list here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for those Chris. Trade week lasting a whole week is interesting, it's usually Monday-Friday with the deadline being noon Friday Perth time. I'm pretty sure one year it only lasted for 3 days since everything happens on the last day anyway but the player managers didn't like the shorter window.

SS - Trade week is always the 2nd Monday after the GF which must be tough for the grand finalists. It's just that our season has lasted 2 weeks longer than it normally does so it has come around quickly. ;)

Has anyone seen any discussion about the impact on list management due to the forthcoming cap on interchanges?

For mine it's significant and and imo whoever gets their act together the quickest (i.e., assessing the ramifications and adjusting their selection criteria accordingly) will go into the drafts with a major advantage.

I think some of the kids we've picked up recently have been pretty good with regards to endurance. Not really sure on the results, but I think Fyfe was up there last year, so hopefully it could benefit our recent draft strategy.

Has anyone seen any discussion about the impact on list management due to the forthcoming cap on interchanges?

For mine it's significant and and imo whoever gets their act together the quickest (i.e., assessing the ramifications and adjusting their selection criteria accordingly) will go into the drafts with a major advantage.

:confused:
Has that been confirmed?

I was under the impression that the 3 interchange players + 1 substitute was the most likely option?

:confused:
Has that been confirmed?

I was under the impression that the 3 interchange players + 1 substitute was the most likely option?

Whichever way you choose to cut it the modifications will reduce either the number and/or effectiveness of the interchanges.

As one of the clubs with the highest number of rotations our game plan is directly in the firing line.

Thought I might sum up who is available/up for trade

Ruckman:

• David Hale - wants out.
  • Griffin (Adel) - wants back to WA
  • Jacobs or Hampson? - chances are one may go
  • Charlie Dixon or Rory Thompson - Gold Coast young ruckman, chances are one may be up for trade as the Suns have a few.
  • Orrel Stephenson - mature aged ruckman, Gold Coast have first dibs.
  • Robert Campbell - coming back out of retirement?
  • Luke Adams - thought I might chuck his name in. 19 yo. Plays for Swannies. Did very well in the few league games he played before injury. May be available for the Suns to pick up (and on-trade) under their mature aged entitlements.
  • Q Lynch - unless he's GC bound
  • Josh Fraser - almost certainly will ask for a trade.
  • Cam Wood
Midfielders:

• Nathan Jones
  • Andrew Walker - has been mentioned by Carlton as up for trade but they are now having second thoughts.
  • Jarred Brennan - more a utility, however looking for a new home. GC have taken Risca as their uncontracted player from Brisbane so can't touch Brennan without a trade. Opens the door for other clubs.
  • Tambling - wants out
  • Jarrad Blight (Coll) - has been mentioned
  • Neon Leon - has been mentioned
  • Medhurst - reportedly wants to come back home
  • Jack Anthony - has been mentioned before. May have found a new role in the team as a backman.
  • Justin Sherman
  • Bachar Houli
  • Salopek - wants to go to Vic

Forwards

• Brendan Fevola - not wanted by Brisbane
  • Mitch Clark - there have been whispers??
  • Mckinley
  • Hansen
  • Josh Hill - marginalised at WB. Looking to move.
  • Patrick Veszpremi
  • Djekurra - could be a good player, limited opps at Geelong.
  • Jetta (Essendon) - had a fantastic finish to the year. Finally starting to live up to his potential?
  • Daniel Motlop

Defenders

• Tarrant
  • Spangher
  • Alex Rance
  • Ryan Gamble
  • Andreas Everitt
  • David Myers - has been mentioned as poss trade bait
Note that a lot of mature aged mids are also up for trade as they can be picked up by Gold Coast (up to 10 players) and on-traded. E.g:

• Sewell
  • Clifton
  • Curnow
  • Hibberb
  • Stephenson
  • M Little
  • Lower
  • Mzungu (unless he has never nominated for a draft??)
  • Krakouer
Also up for possible trade are a host of GC youngsters: http://goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/

Feel free to add others.

Is Rance a certainty to be shopped around is he?

Also Chinggis, Anthony is a forward not a midfielder - sorry to be pedantic, I know you know that but obviously accidentally put him in there.

After Tarrant taking off, the Trent Croad saga, and Heath Black's issues I think it's best that we avoid trading for Victorians. If a Melbourne based player is looking for a change of club and the other 9 Victorian clubs aren't interested then there's probably a reason.

We will have a few more than 2 picks available you'd think, Hase/Thornton/Solly are definates, then there is Murph/Dodd/Des/Hinkley/BoB as probably, with Taz and maybe a Schammer up for trades as well.

Pretty sure there's only 5 rounds in the ND so we need to find some more draft picks from somewhere OR the cull may not be as deep as we think or want it to be.

Or we go with a smaller squad which doesn't thrill me a lot.

The other possibility is that we'll be more active in the PSD - Harvs did say today that our initial focus will be for a player (instead of picks) because we have been so active in the drafts the last two years.

He also stated that some of the later picks will be +100 which kind of confirms my suspicion that adding to the rookie list will not be a priority. Or if we do, it will not be 18 year olds but mature bodies (though I hold little hope of there being much quality on offer).

There may be some silver lining though. Given the turmoil that Essendon have been in, we may yet be able to go to that well one last time.

Hell knows, they've been nice to us of late:D:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back