2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the hell did we offer Schammer another year last year? Does okay in the WAFL, but is constantly bypassed for kids like Crichton (for good reason mind you).

Just boggles the mind.

Should of got rid of him and got someone like Myles Sewell at least. Sewell may have his doubters but surely Sewell>>>>>>>Schammer

Of course we should have drafted Myles Sewell. He would have played every game this season. If we couldn't get rid of Schammer at least we should have gotten rid of whoever the brainiac was who signed him for another two/three whatever it was, years.

Sewell is no better than Schammer. He is simply something new and different.

My thinking is that if we drafted Schammer now as a mature aged rookie, he would probably be playing and we'd be impressed with his attack and how he was able to win the ball. New isn't always better.

You sir may have just opened a can of worms.

Despite the fact drafting Schammer as a mature aged rookie now would not happen - his long term form for Claremont is not to Liston Trophy standard. I hazard a guess that submerged in a 24/7 team environment as a mature aged rookie, Miles would be capable of stepping up and entering calculations moreso than Schammer had he been a fresh new face also. Yes they're similarly skilled & positioned however one is the Catalyst for their teams triple premiership success and one isn't when bluntly put.

Peter Faulks, Rohan Bewick, Andrew Krakouer, Tendai Mzungu, Cameron Richardson, Simon Phillips, Isaac Smith, Paul Puopolo, Nick Duigan, Michael Hibberd, Stephen Clifton, Cameron Pederson, Ed Curnow, Nick Lower.

All those guys got drafted as mature aged players just in the last draft. Hell, even guys like Spangher and Polo got redrafted. Yet still, Sewell wasn't able to get a gig. Despite being a BigFooty favourite, I've yet to be surprised that Sewell has been passed over.

You said it was blatantly obvious others wouldn't make it, while Sewell would....

Anyway, I just don't see much in Sewell. And I don't think that will change any time soon. Some people are just great VFL/WAFL/SANFL players and nothing else.

Got a lot of flack from a few when I suggested this bloke last year because he was a ressies player but he's going very well for the Claremont firsts this year.

I'll suggest him again later this year - this time as a 21yo rookie hope.

They should definately be looking at Claremont seniors for mature age but Kane Mitchell is the one. Has a huge tank and dominated a game in the pre season last year filling in for Freo. Also there is a young kid in QLS called Dayne Zorko. A gun at 21 and has been overlooked because of height.
Watch him in the state game against WA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He lacks discipline, i'd be open to the comcept though if he wanted out of GC.

Nah, that's crap. He worked his ass off to get drafted.

In 2008 he wasn't selected to play for the state U/16's. At the start of the 2009 season he wasn't even a sure thing for the Peel Thunder Colts team. Hard work and discipline earned him the best player award at the 2010 U/18 National Championships.

I remember reading about him being dropped from Peels league team for similar reasons before he was drafted. the coach was unhappy with numerous players in the current lineup's preperation and wielded the axe. You guys may be right but i'd still err on the side of caution with him.

I put together a first round mock draft earlier in the week. I find it to be a good way of keeping track of guys, especially for after the U18 Championships. Figured I might as well post it in here, for those who are interested in the draft. A few of the later picks are just some players who interest me.

#1 GWS - Stephen Coniglio (Midfielder - Swan Districts)
#2 GWS - Jonathon Patton (Forward - Eastern Ranges)
#3 GWS - Chad Wingard (Midfielder - Sturt)
#4 Gold Coast - Matthew Buntine (Defender - Dandenong)
#5 GWS - Billy Longer (Ruckman - Northern Knights)

#6 Port Adelaide - Todd Elton (Forward - Dandenong)
#7 GWS - Devon Smith (Midfielder - Geelong)
#8 Brisbane - Hayden Crozier (Forward - Eastern Ranges)
#9 GWS - Shane Nelson (Midfielder - West Perth)
#10 Adelaide - Josh Waldhunter (Midfielder - Central Districts)

#11 GWS - Jordan Kelly (Defender - Dandenong)
#12 Bulldogs - Brad McKenzie (Forward - Sturt)
#13 GWS - Myles Bolger (Ruckman - South Fremantle)
#14 North - Will Hoskin-Elliot (Midfielder - Western Jets)
#15 GWS - Adam Tomlinson (Defender - Oakleigh Chargers)

#16 Richmond - Lewis Hender (Midfielder - Glenelg)
#17 St Kilda - Liam Sumner (Midfielder - Sandringham)
#18 Melbourne - Matthew Jacquier (Forward - Woodville)
#19 Fremantle - Taylor Adams (Midfielder - Geelong)
#20 Essendon - Clay Smith (Midfielder - Gippsland)

#21 West Coast - Max Duffy (Forward - East Fremantle)
#22 Sydney - F/S Tom Mitchell (Midfielder - Claremont)
#23 Carlton - F/S Dylan Buckley (Midfielder - Northern Knights)
#24 Hawthorn - Jimmy Webster (Midfielder - Glenorchy)
#25 Collingwood - Louis Eggar (Midfielder - Federal)
#26 Geelong - Michael Bussey (Forward - Eastern Ranges)

Taylor Adams is the captain of Vic Country, and is a hard inside midfielder. Some comparisons were made to Cunnington, who was a top 5 pick a couple of years ago. He is probably one who will finish higher than what I have him now, but at this stage he could be around the mark for us. Clay Smith is a similar player, and really any of Hoskin-Elliot, Sumner and in particular Hender would be good pick ups.

Not sure about the talls early. I expect GWS to take most of the good ones, someone like Bussey is more potential at this stage and Kersten could go anywhere.

I put together a first round mock draft earlier in the week. I find it to be a good way of keeping track of guys, especially for after the U18 Championships. Figured I might as well post it in here, for those who are interested in the draft. A few of the later picks are just some players who interest me.

#1 GWS - Stephen Coniglio (Midfielder - Swan Districts)
#2 GWS - Jonathon Patton (Forward - Eastern Ranges)
#3 GWS - Chad Wingard (Midfielder - Sturt)
#4 Gold Coast - Matthew Buntine (Defender - Dandenong)
#5 GWS - Billy Longer (Ruckman - Northern Knights)

#6 Port Adelaide - Todd Elton (Forward - Dandenong)
#7 GWS - Devon Smith (Midfielder - Geelong)
#8 Brisbane - Hayden Crozier (Forward - Eastern Ranges)
#9 GWS - Shane Nelson (Midfielder - West Perth)
#10 Adelaide - Josh Waldhunter (Midfielder - Central Districts)

#11 GWS - Jordan Kelly (Defender - Dandenong)
#12 Bulldogs - Brad McKenzie (Forward - Sturt)
#13 GWS - Myles Bolger (Ruckman - South Fremantle)
#14 North - Will Hoskin-Elliot (Midfielder - Western Jets)
#15 GWS - Adam Tomlinson (Defender - Oakleigh Chargers)

#16 Richmond - Lewis Hender (Midfielder - Glenelg)
#17 St Kilda - Liam Sumner (Midfielder - Sandringham)
#18 Melbourne - Matthew Jacquier (Forward - Woodville)
#19 Fremantle - Taylor Adams (Midfielder - Geelong)
#20 Essendon - Clay Smith (Midfielder - Gippsland)

#21 West Coast - Max Duffy (Forward - East Fremantle)
#22 Sydney - F/S Tom Mitchell (Midfielder - Claremont)
#23 Carlton - F/S Dylan Buckley (Midfielder - Northern Knights)
#24 Hawthorn - Jimmy Webster (Midfielder - Glenorchy)
#25 Collingwood - Louis Eggar (Midfielder - Federal)
#26 Geelong - Michael Bussey (Forward - Eastern Ranges)

Taylor Adams is the captain of Vic Country, and is a hard inside midfielder. Some comparisons were made to Cunnington, who was a top 5 pick a couple of years ago. He is probably one who will finish higher than what I have him now, but at this stage he could be around the mark for us. Clay Smith is a similar player, and really any of Hoskin-Elliot, Sumner and in particular Hender would be good pick ups.

Not sure about the talls early. I expect GWS to take most of the good ones, someone like Bussey is more potential at this stage and Kersten could go anywhere.

Great first up go Chris. Looking at your list which seems sensible, GWS are not really gifted a super taller type midfield prospect - most of the good ones this year are tiny or only average height. I wonder if that will influence their trade types?

I still rate Kersten based upon what I saw last year and would really like Freo to consider him but can totally appreciate you not wanting to put him in there, given his non appearance with injury.

I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up drafting Kersten with an end of first round compensation pick.

Yes thats what I am kind of hoping will pan out to occurring.

For all of those supporters that think we need a defender, what do people think of Lockyer and Howard from WA?

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back