2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Hill seems to have lifted his game to another level of late. Has been playing some great footy for West Perth colts last few games and had a good game for the U18's. Quite likely to get drafted now IMO.

Young kid by the name of Matt Jones has made a comeback on the weekend, kicking 6 goals down forward for Souths ressies. He is a 200cm ruckman/forward.

The kid did a knee a month or two before the end of the season last year which would of led to a lot of clubs steering well clear of him. Was in the State 18's before the knee. Depending how he goes, he could be an okay rookie option. Describes himself as a Mitch Clark type player. Hope the kid gets a go, horrible luck to do a knee last year.

What type of player are you?
A utility that can ruck and also go forward.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Mitch Clark, as he's mobile and can go up forward.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Mobility, a long left foot, and being able to read the play.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
My contested marking and my right side.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Fremantle - my family joined me up as a foundation member.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
My dad. He has always been there and supported me 100 per cent.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102224/default.aspx

Latest:

Johnson
Schammer
Crowley
Palmer
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Hayden
Hinkley
Grover (vet - outside the list)

Suban
McPhee
Ibbotson
Crichton
Roberton
de Boer
Silvagni
van Berlo
McPharlin
Walters
Faulks
Griffin
Michie
Mellington
Fyfe

Hill
Broughton
Anthony
Clarke
Mayne
Bradley
Mzungu
Pitt
Morabito

Pavlich
Mundy
Duffield
Ballantyne
Sandilands
Barlow

Rookies
Lower (nominated rookie)
Pearce (elevated for LTI)
Bucovaz (elevated for LTI)
Sibosado
Shepheard
Roberts
Ruffles

What is the status on Pearce-Bucovaz-Sibo-Shepheard? Can we keep them on the rookie list in 2012?

Also, the AFLPA wants to scrap the rookie list (and increase the main list size) as part of the next collective bargaining agreement ... if that goes through, will the changes take effect in 2012?

What is the status on Pearce-Bucovaz-Sibo-Shepheard? Can we keep them on the rookie list in 2012?

Also, the AFLPA wants to scrap the rookie list (and increase the main list size) as part of the next collective bargaining agreement ... if that goes through, will the changes take effect in 2012?

I'm pretty sure it's limited to 3 seasons on the rookie list so a decision will have to be made on Pearce, Shepheard and Sibosado. Bucovaz should be fine though.

If the rookie list is to be scrapped I'll be surprised if it happens immediately. More likely that they'll give the clubs 2 years to get their house in order if they do infact decide to end the rookie list system.

Are you worried about Fyfe?

It's one player per club over the two year period, otherwise they will need to trade for them as per Brennan last year and we'll still get a compensation pick to go along with the trade.

Deledio and Goddard bode as the interesting ones next year. I will sleep much easier once pen is put to paper on the Fyfe four year deal. Freo tend to do these in groups, so I hope his name is read out in the next couple of days now that Sandilands and Barlow have signed.

Latest:

Johnson
Schammer
Crowley
Palmer
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Hayden
Hinkley

So from that list:
Schammer delist
Johnson, Crowley and Palmer possible trade IMO.
Hayden, Grover 1 year deal.
Youthful keep for at least 1 more.
Hinkley keeps going the way he is keep.
Bollenhagen: don't know. Seems to have the tools but...
Upgrade Pearce and Lower

Are you worried about Fyfe?

It's one player per club over the two year period, otherwise they will need to trade for them as per Brennan last year and we'll still get a compensation pick to go along with the trade.

Deledio and Goddard bode as the interesting ones next year. I will sleep much easier once pen is put to paper on the Fyfe four year deal. Freo tend to do these in groups, so I hope his name is read out in the next couple of days now that Sandilands and Barlow have signed.

You can read my mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess Peake got picked up so anything is possible but I can't see any club trading for Crowley. He's a bit like Dodd in that he was a handy player who could do a job but who's disposal and decision making has dropped off making him a fringe player at best and at worst a liability.

Maybe Jack will be like a banked priority pick.

If Crowley wanted out he'd find somewhere to go. Teams however wouldn't be willing to pay overs because if he was contracted though. I'm guessing he'd be worth a pick in the 30's - 40's. at best. Purely based on childish speculation of course.

Latest:

Johnson
Schammer
Crowley
Palmer
Houghton
Bollenhagen
Hayden
Hinkley

So from that list:
Schammer delist
Johnson, Crowley and Palmer possible trade IMO.
Hayden, Grover 1 year deal.
Youthful keep for at least 1 more.
Hinkley keeps going the way he is keep.
Bollenhagen: don't know. Seems to have the tools but...
Upgrade Pearce and Lower

Isn't Pav going onto the Vets list next year?

As I understand it that "frees up" a spot on the primary list (but Rookie list gets reduced by 1) as well as allowing Pav to be paid outside the salary cap?

From the rookie list you Shephard is gone, Sibbo is very close to going. I cannot then see us hanging on to 2 injury prone kids in Ruffles AND Roberts. One will go, probably Roberts.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/talent-pool-a-tad-thin-20110706-1h2j8.html#ixzz1RNVqXcK7
Here's the good news: the 2012 draft looks very, very strong. Already, a dozen names spring to mind. This time next year, expect to hear plenty about Lachie Whitfield, Rory Atkins and Sam Mayes, for starters. Expect Viney and Joe Daniher to demand first-round picks of the Demons and Bombers as father-son selections, and expect your club to wait until the end of next season to clear out its list and make five, six or more choices.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/talent-pool-a-tad-thin-20110706-1h2j8.html#ixzz1RNVqXcK7

Could see Pearce and Lower getting upgraded, maybe even Sibisado.

And only the 3 picks again

You'd also think if Palmer went, we'd bank the pick for next year

The important part of that article...

Clubs looking for key-position players might wish they already had them. Some of the better ''talls'' on offer don't seem big enough to play in key positions - Jordan Kelly, Brody Mihocek, Matthew Buntine, Adam Tomlinson - although all can play.

A bunch of bigger kids have shown exciting glimpses - Sam Frost, Xavier Richards, Sam Gordon - but they have flaws to fix, and consistency to find.

It's what I've been saying for a while, and it could see us going for a mature type or even upgrading Sibosado.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back