Mega Thread 2011/12 Trade/Draft/Delist MegaThread, now twice as mega!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The AFL really needs to allow teams more creativity when trading picks.

How easily could we set up a trade with Port if they could trade us the next pick they get between say 17 and 25?

We might have to wait a few years before they got such a pick but at least we wouldn't be forced to take a discount, as we are now.

The AFL really needs to allow teams more creativity when trading picks.

How easily could we set up a trade with Port if they could trade us the next pick they get between say 17 and 25?

We might have to wait a few years before they got such a pick but at least we wouldn't be forced to take a discount, as we are now.

That's one of the issues i've always wished they'd look at. However i think they are trying to avoid such problems arising as teams tanking to avoid having to give said pick or potentially running a list into the ground by trading out all future draft picks for a shot at a flag. It's got positives and negatives i suppose.

That's one of the issues i've always wished they'd look at. However i think they are trying to avoid such issues as teams tanking to avoid having to give said pick or potentially running a list into the ground by trading out all future draft picks for a tilt at a flag. It's got positives and negatives i suppose.

True.

Things can easily get out of hand. As you say, new rules would get tested, which would require further rules and so on....

Your right Larrikin. Got to look at the positives.:thumbsu:

Unless however a trade has been agreed upon and Woosh is hardly excited about it. See this is why i hate trade week. Too much paranoia for me to deal with.

You see Puma, if he's contracted we don't have to accept the trade! ;)

I don't get why pick 4 is considered such a good offer. I mean, surely to GWS a proven quality player is of more worth than another high draft pick....?

It's a bit annoying really, cause the motive behind the system was apparently to allow gws to acquire established players, but all it looks like doing is letting them and GC exchange more top end, unproven young talent with each other.

My thoughts exactly.

Admittedly though you have to consider that clubs probably won't be willing to offer up said proven quality players for an u/17 pick. Perhaps Gold Coast's offer on value is still the best.

You see Puma, if he's contracted we don't have to accept the trade!

Unless Stevens is kicking and screaming to get out. I highly doubt we'd force him to stay another year, then trade him when his value is lower.

Seems unlikely though that Koby would be desperate to get out.

You see Puma, if he's contracted we don't have to accept the trade! ;)

Yeah i know Swannie. :eek:

However the club might feel the offer is worthy of the trade now rather than later. I'm sure as you and cooler heads have suggested he is not going anywhere. Just a little rattled after Ebo, Suma and talk of Harvey. Just want trade week to be over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 28 it is. Get it done early. :thumbsu:

BigFooty lurker here - rumour mill stoking time

http://twitter.com/#!/Motlopdaniel

Motlopdaniel: Hurry up trade week...

....Later....

Blues4flag: @Motlopdaniel You coming to the Bluebaggers matey??? Good choice of colours to wear!!!

Motlopdaniel: @Blues4flag we shall see what happens next week. #maybe #winners

Also talk on the Port board about him being seen around Carlton - possibly GWS interested also.

If Carlton/GWS take Daniel Motlop from Port. Might help Port with an extra pick or upgraded pick to pay for Ebert.

Might pay for us to see if a Motlop deal is done rather than just rolling over on Monday.

You'd think they'll get a late pick in the draft for Motlop which really won't interest us..

What about an upgrade?

Carlton: out: 22, in: Motlop + 28
Eagles: out: Ebert, in: 22
Port: out: 28 + Motlop, in: Ebert

If Carlton have an interest in Motlop, which they probably don't, then this 3-way trade seems perfectly fair for all parties. Pretty rare to see Bigfooty 3-way trades being sensible and good for all parties, but this one seems pretty flawless :thumbsu:

I don't get why pick 4 is considered such a good offer. I mean, surely to GWS a proven quality player is of more worth than another high draft pick....?

It's a bit annoying really, cause the motive behind the system was apparently to allow gws to acquire established players, but all it looks like doing is letting them and GC exchange more top end, unproven young talent with each other.

They shouldn't of been allowed to trade them on for draft picks imo.. meh. But anyways moving on..

In the interest of self preservation - If I was GWS and I knew what was on the table from each team, and you knew that you where gona use two of the picks this year, Id give GC the 2nd pick regardless. Your still gona get pick 4, but your closest rivals in terms of team building time frame and who the rest of the outside footy world will compare you against for at least the next decade by default, don't get O'meara to add to Swallow, Ablett, Rischitelli, Bennell and co.

I know its a little bit cheeky, but it makes sense really and its not like these two teams are gona be trade buddies anytime soon..

We're all still going on about what pick we may get, but does anyone think Ben Newton is a rough chance? He was pick 36 in a really strong draft and is/was rated alongside Fasolo and Ledger....Two players that look the goods. His last two years have been ruined by injury, many and varied.

For all we know the club may have rated him very highly last year, but with two standouts sitting there at 26 and 29 were never really going to take him. In a supposed 'weak' draft, I think he'd be preferred over a late 20s or early 30s pick. By me anyway.

Saw his two WA games last year (one I have on DVD) and he looked a very clean one touch player, great left foot, very good leap and overhead mark, both a mid and fwd and someone who just does something good more often than not when he has it.

Pick 28 and Newton and I would be very happy. Pick 33 and Newton, I think is fair (maybe give them our 3rd rounder too as we won't be using it).

no one, i repeat NO ONE is going to trade for motlop. i don't know why it's even mentioned. he must be delusional if he thinks anyone will pick up a fat, 30yo, lazy hack like him.

doubt we'll get much for ebert, but it's no loss really. if anything it's blessing because it will open up opportunites for other fringe players like swift, weedon and stevens.

What about an upgrade?

Carlton: out: 22, in: Motlop + 28
Eagles: out: Ebert, in: 22
Port: out: 28 + Motlop, in: Ebert

Carlton will not downgrade their first round pick for a player like Motlop. They will be using a third or fourth round pick. Motlop has very little value to Port.

They shouldn't of been allowed to trade them on for draft picks imo.. meh. But anyways moving on..

In the interest of self preservation - If I was GWS and I knew what was on the table from each team, and you knew that you where gona use two of the picks this year, Id give GC the 2nd pick regardless. Your still gona get pick 4, but your closest rivals in terms of team building time frame and who the rest of the outside footy world will compare you against for at least the next decade by default, don't get O'meara to add to Swallow, Ablett, Rischitelli, Bennell and co.

I know its a little bit cheeky, but it makes sense really and its not like these two teams are gona be trade buddies anytime soon..

This is 100% correct.

They are better off trading to one of the teams between say 10th and 1st this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back