Preview 2011 Collingwood's AFL Draft Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe I've got things wrong, but if I was drafting for Collingwood, and my first pick was at #50, and we have a need to add a young KP forward for depth, and Jackson Paine was available at that pick, I'd be elated.

I would think that an 18 year old KP forward who played in a TAC Cup GF, played for Vic Metro alongside Jonathan Patton and is capable of pushing up into the midfield at times would be worth a punt earlier than pick #68 in a weak draft.
The draft pick whisperer nails it once again.

This is three of the last four drafts that I've guessed our first pick - Me and Dekka are just on the same wavelength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind either selection.

Paine is good value is a KPF. Looked better than Patton in a couple of games as a key forward in the u18 champs. Stylistically I like the fit, has a similar enough game to Dawes to be a fit.

Gault wouldn't have been my first choice. But still had him inside my top 60. Is an athletic no.2 type ruckman. Made big progress over the past 12 months or so.

Don't mind either selection.

Paine is good value is a KPF. Looked better than Patton in a couple of games as a key forward in the u18 champs. Stylistically I like the fit, has a similar enough game to Dawes to be a fit.

Gault wouldn't have been my first choice. But still had him inside my top 60. Is an athletic no.2 type ruckman. Made big progress over the past 12 months or so.

Except Dawes is rubbish overhead. Thats the biggest thing I like about Paine. He has sticky hands and hits the ball at it's highest point. This is more important than a couple of centimetres i'd say.

Can't say I know anything about Gault. Does he have the weopons to be a key forward?

Except Dawes is rubbish overhead. Thats the biggest thing I like about Paine. He has sticky hands and hits the ball at it's highest point. This is more important than a couple of centimetres i'd say.

Can't say I know anything about Gault. Does he have the weopons to be a key forward?

Gault is Actually a Very Good Mark.

Video of Gault:

[YOUTUBE]BaHI-2VqlDw[/YOUTUBE]

Gault is very much a work in progress and allot of progress needs to be made if he wants to make the grade. High level athlete, agile, big leap. Is real sub rule specific type selection. Very coachable from what I hear.

The biggest strength in his game is his 2nd + 3rd efforts after the ruck contest, in the ruck contest goes hard at it, but ruck technique a long way off at this stage and punches as long as he can. So the tap work, awareness of where his mids are, also needs to stretch out his arm more to get that extra extension.

Up forward probably isn't completely natural yet. Mainly leads up the wings and isn't a really threatening marking target yet which his leap he has the potential to be. Doesn't take it at it's highest point and is fairly inconsistant as a marking target at this stage, so allot of work will need to go in there also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2011 Collingwood's AFL Draft Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back