Preview 2011 Collingwood's AFL Draft Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gault is very much a work in progress and allot of progress needs to be made if he wants to make the grade. High level athlete, agile, big leap. Is real sub rule specific type selection. Very coachable from what I hear.

The biggest strength in his game is his 2nd + 3rd efforts after the ruck contest, in the ruck contest goes hard at it, but ruck technique a long way off at this stage and punches as long as he can. So the tap work, awareness of where his mids are, also needs to stretch out his arm more to get that extra extension.

Up forward probably isn't completely natural yet. Mainly leads up the wings and isn't a really threatening marking target yet which his leap he has the potential to be. Doesn't take it at it's highest point and is fairly inconsistant as a marking target at this stage, so allot of work will need to go in there also.

What do you mean Sub Rule Pick?

I'd suggest that he's referring to the fact that he can play up forward and be a marking target while also being able to back up in the ruck, which is more valuable now with the sub rule.

As for the draft, I think it's important to contextualise it by including all of the players we've recruited with the guys we drafted tonight.

When you look at the group of kids we're bringing in as Jarrod Witts, Jamie Elliot, Peter Yagmoor, Jackson Paine, Cory Gault, Caolan Mooney and Michael Hartley, it looks pretty good.

Gault is a type who likely wouldn't have gotten drafted under the old rules (bench of 4) because he isn't tall enough as a ruckman and not enough of a target as a forward. With the sub rule (bench of 3, 1 sub) less clubs have 2 pure rucks to allow for midfield rotations which is increasingly important with reduced interchange.

My favourite bit of the Fox coverage is when Andy D asks the crowd to acknowledge Chris Scott and the Cats premiership win with applause, they cut to a shot of the crowd and you can see a certain BigFooty poster up in the top left corner of the shot, obstinately refusing to clap.

:cool:

Gault is a type who likely wouldn't have gotten drafted under the old rules (bench of 4) because he isn't tall enough as a ruckman and not enough of a target as a forward. With the sub rule (bench of 3, 1 sub) less clubs have 2 pure rucks to allow for midfield rotations which is increasingly important with reduced interchange.

Good Point and he is a Tall you can have as a Sub as he can Play KPP and Ruck

My favourite bit of the Fox coverage is when Andy D asks the crowd to acknowledge Chris Scott and the Cats premiership win with applause, they cut to a shot of the crowd and you can see a certain BigFooty poster up in the top left corner of the shot, obstinately refusing to clap.

I think that deserves a round of applause from this board.:thumbsu::D

(And yes, I'd say most of us here wouldn't have clapped either).

LOL :thumbsu:

vision please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2011 Collingwood's AFL Draft Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back