Toast 2011 Draft Pick #64 - Cameron Ellis-Yolmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Has done enough to push for a round 1 spot for me.

Needs to learn how to kick though.
Now that is weird. Can't kick but still pushing for AFL game. Footys changed. Gone are the days when skills on both sides were paramount and now the trend is to pick more athletes and bugger the skills. Don't think I have liked this development.
On Ellis Yolmen however, he did better than Lyons last night. Let's see how selection for next trial goes there.

one good game in 3 years and now he's in the 22?

he's pushing for a spot, but surely no one actually has him ahead of Lyons at this stage?

Fired out a few good handballs in tight situations which were impressive I'll admit, but all of a sudden everyone's forgotten just how BAD his kicking was and still is. It's like the men in black have stormed through half this board.

Has not improved his kicking since day dot. Great athlete, good in close, but that's where the story ends. People are always complaining about our kicking from players like Danger, let alone bloody CEY and how that we can't have lyons/thommo/wright/Bob all in the same side, but yet all of a sudden CEY is coming into calculations.

Yeah he has one thing all of those players don't, pace, but it's useless having pace to break lines if you're just going to shank it half the time.

More than happy to continue giving him opportunities, let him grow into his role. Who knows, it may be a confidence thing? CEY naturally he looks like a silky, skillful type, but his kicking just isn't. Maybe if we give him a run and he comes out of shell it may fix itself over time? Who knows. But people need to taper back their expectations.

This guy needs another full game against port please walsh.

Has not improved his kicking since day dot. Great athlete, good in close, but that's where the story ends. People are always complaining about our kicking from players like Danger, let alone bloody CEY and how that we can't have lyons/thommo/wright/Bob all in the same side, but yet all of a sudden CEY is coming into calculations.
there could be a spot for him early in the season considering thommo and Bob are injured. Plus Cameron has done stuff all in the two games so wright might play primarily as the second small forward.

there could be a spot for him early in the season considering thommo and Bob are injured. Plus Cameron has done stuff all in the two games so wright might play primarily as the second small forward.
Wright might be lucky to be in the round 1 side ....his form is not great & he's very slow

Think Walsh will go with the pacy option v another slow ...and we have so many inside midfielders that Wright should be very worried

Wright might be lucky to be in the round 1 side ....his form is not great & he's very slow

Think Walsh will go with the pacy option v another slow ...and we have so many inside midfielders that Wright should be very worried
I'd prefer Cameron to play over wright and everyone knows we need his pace, but given Charlie hasn't performed in the nab challenge thus far I don't see Walsh picking him based on his own comments.

I'd prefer Cameron to play over wright and everyone knows we need his pace, but given Charlie hasn't performed in the nab challenge thus far I don't see Walsh picking him based on his own comments.
Yeah Camerons form is also average ......hopefully we'll see Charlie in his true form against Port

I think Cameron is key to Walsh's gameplan and he is holding him back for the real stuff. Betts and Cameron will be streaming back inside 50 after we have emptied out to play team defence. Beep beep.

Cameron has been sub in both games.

I think Cameron is key to Walsh's gameplan and he is holding him back for the real stuff. Betts and Cameron will be streaming back inside 50 after we have emptied out to play team defence. Beep beep.

Cameron has been sub in both games.
Had groin issues too last year - needs to be managed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fired out a few good handballs in tight situations which were impressive I'll admit, but all of a sudden everyone's forgotten just how BAD his kicking was and still is. It's like the men in black have stormed through half this board.

Yeah he has one thing all of those players don't, pace, but it's useless having pace to break lines if you're just going to shank it half the time.

More than happy to continue giving him opportunities, let him grow into his role. Who knows, it may be a confidence thing? CEY naturally he looks like a silky, skillful type, but his kicking just isn't. Maybe if we give him a run and he comes out of shell it may fix itself over time? Who knows. But people need to taper back their expectations.

This guy needs another full game against port please walsh.

I don't agree with the comment that CEO has not improved his kicking since day dot. I'm not getting on any CEO bandwagon, but if you go back and watch some of his games last year (I think one that comes to mind is the game against Port at Clare), he showed poise lacking in his initial games by holding onto the ball, waiting and looking for an option, and then finding it. While this is not a natural strength for him, I can see some signs of progress.

His game the other night was the best I have seen him play. Including the SANFL games where he has been deemed near BOG. Seems to know where to go to get the best possession and is clean with his hands. Kicking a bit rushed, but he was not the worst out there. Could almost see him as a bigger bodied inside mid.

He might just make it yet.

Yes this is his first good AFL game in his entire career. But so what. He's been dominant in the SANFL and his only other chance at AFL level was being subbed into an absolute drubbing from Fremantle with less than 20 minutes to go. I feel he's like Hartigan in that the sooner we give him a run of games the sooner he will come up to the level required.

Yes this is his first good AFL game in his entire career. But so what. He's been dominant in the SANFL and his only other chance at AFL level was being subbed into an absolute drubbing from Fremantle with less than 20 minutes to go. I feel he's like Hartigan in that the sooner we give him a run of games the sooner he will come up to the level required.

You don't learn from sitting on the pine

You don't learn from sitting on the pine
this will be a very interesting point throughout the year regarding Walsh's team selections.

he has stated quite clearly that if you perform you play, and if you don't nobody is safe... but how much slack will be cut to young players?

we have spent years lamenting the yo-yo selections of our young up-and-comers who have been denied the opportunity to find form at the highest level. How do we see Walsh striking the right balance?

this will be a very interesting point throughout the year regarding Walsh's team selections.

he has stated quite clearly that if you perform you play, and if you don't nobody is safe... but how much slack will be cut to young players?

we have spent years lamenting the yo-yo selections of our young up-and-comers who have been denied the opportunity to find form at the highest level. How do we see Walsh striking the right balance?

I think he'd be better equipped than our previous coach.

I think he'd be better equipped than our previous coach.
well sure, but he still has to have some sort of system, especially seeing as he appears to have made a promise to the team on how they will be selected.

like I said, it will be interesting.

Watched the replay of the game and ceo was in our best, his flexibility as a mid, def, fwrd is what walsh will like. Can see him playing a decent amount of games this year.

Given his size, speed, strength and ability to win a contested possession I think in the season regular, CEY will have first shot at being Walsh's "cooler". A role that would work to his strengths and where his kicking won't be so much of an issue. The only question will be, does he have the endurance to run with the games best midfielders? which is why Walsh has put him in the middle for the entire of both the games so far, next week will be the same, Walsh is testing his endurance.

Given his size, speed, strength and ability to win a contested possession I think in the season regular, CEY will have first shot at being Walsh's "cooler". A role that would work to his strengths and where his kicking won't be so much of an issue. The only question will be, does he have the endurance to run with the games best midfielders? which is why Walsh has put him in the middle for the entire of both the games so far, next week will be the same, Walsh is testing his endurance.
If you watch the geelong game, he was on Selwood in the middle a number of times.

This is very much true and playing as an inside midfield I wouldn't be opposed to it. If Thommo or BoB don't get up for round 1 then he's in the side for me also. Has deserved it more over players like Wright and Grigg.

The original argument was though that he' ahead/almost ahead of Lyons, which I disagree. I do think both can play in the same side anyway.

Cameron should be used primarily as sub this year when our first team is fit. Perfect candidate for that role also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast 2011 Draft Pick #64 - Cameron Ellis-Yolmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back