2012 SC Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Selwood continue on his stellar form that he has endured in the NAB cup?

Sorry Pez, but on current form, Boyd outplays Selwood, at the end of the year is a different story, but at the moment, Boyd takes the points.

Agree with Pez. Selwood's overall efficiency, contested possessions and less clangers translates beautifully in the supercoach game. That round 1 score has him underpriced. It was just not his best statistical season last year.

Boyd on the other hand seems like a better preference in DT. Racks up massive possessions week in week out yet I don't know how many times I've seen him get a DT score of 120 only to get around 100 in supercoach. His overall efficiency and clangers on occasion can hurt.

Both are good picks nonetheless and I guess the one thing in Boyd's favour is he is probably the best mid with the round 11 bye.

Given the extra couple of points lost for each clanger this year, I'd say its much more likely that Selwood, at 23, will increase his scores, than it is for Boyd to even maintain his.

Boyd is 29, and will still dominate, but it's unlikely he will find much improvement. Selwood on the other hand will relish the captaincy. Call me bias of you want, but Selwood could be in for a 'special' year.

I wouldn't call you biasED at all. Just to let you know, SC scoring is the same this year as last year, it was reported as changing but ended up being the same.

I wouldn't call you biasED at all. Just to let you know, SC scoring is the same this year as last year, it was reported as changing but ended up being the same.

I thought they were taking off an additional 2 points for clangers.

Well if there not, it kinda brings players like Boyd, Mitchell and Thompson back into the equation.

Im a little confused now, I swear I saw that clangers were now -8, and even on the link you just posted, the post at the bottom shows an extract stating that clangers are -8.

However, I just went and had another look on the Supercoach site and saw this.

Stat Description
Points Awarded/Deducted
Effective kick
4 Points
Ineffective kick
0 Points
Clanger kick
-4 Points
Effective Handball
1.5 Points
Ineffective handball
0 Points
Handball clanger
-4 Points
Handball receive
1.5 Point
Hardball get
4.5 Points
Loose-ball get
4.5 Points
Goal
8 Points
Behind
1 Point
Mark uncontested (maintaining possession)
2 Points
Mark contested (maintaining possession)
6 Points
Mark uncontested (from opposition)
4 Points
Mark contested (from opposition)
8 Points
Tackles
4 Points
Free kick for
4 Points
Free kick against
-4 Points
Hitout to Advantage
3 Points

heres the full FAQ extract, just scroll down a little - http://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/content/help/maintablemiddle

Well and truly baffled at this point, because I was certain clangers were

From my memory.

Clangers were -8 in 2010 and they dropped it in 2011.

I think that was the sole reason for SJs average going up :p

Yeah your right, I'm a dumbass, I was looking at the scoring system from 2010 thinking it was last years. :eek: So I was seeing it as -8 for a clanger kick and -6 for the clanger handball last year, instead of 2010, and convincing myself they changed the system this year.

I'v just been confusing the hell out of myself for the last hour. :p

Interesting point on Thompson. Averaged 110 last year but before that only over 100 once in 6 seasons. Of those 6 seasons, only twice did he have a postive dt:sc ratio. I kinda liken him to Swan of a few years back except its taken him a little longer to become a premium. Has he done enough to justify a selection after 9 full seasons and only 2 averaging over 100? I'm not so sure. I dont think he'll improve a great deal of that average whereas a player like Swallow would have a far better chance of averaging 120 for eg. Imo it should be go for proven (average 100+ for a number of years) or someone on the rise ie steady improvement going into their 5th or 6th years.

This is the problem with seeing players in full flight like Thompson last night. Such a great draw, Crows look up n about, new coach, possible new gameplan, Thompson looks like he could/would/should improve this year. He's gonna have a couple of monsters that's for sure.

Looks more appealing that a couple of the other options right now i'll admit :confused:

EDIT: upon reading some of my first post on Thompson he's had 7 full season, 4 short ones

^ leave Ablett out at own peril

Had Pendles, Murphy, Ablett, Selwood

now thinking Pendles, Swan, Ablett and one of Thompson/Rockliff - probably Thompson

thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both potential guns but won't reach keeper status so you may get as much cash generated by someone else $100k cheaper.[/quote]

It's doing my head in...been thinking about it for weeks. Chopping and changing almost every day. You are right about getting someone cheaper, but I'm trying not to pick to many GWS players. Coniglio, Haynes & Greene looks the obvious choice, and there is Ledger (St K) who I think may be the vest man. Wingard (PA) don't think he will score as well.

Hense that's why I am thinking either 1 of Parker or Caddy...to make money and score well. Definately not keeping them. will trade up at some stage.

I've never been any good at Super Coach - but I want that to change this year.

Any thoughts on my midfield:
Pendlebury, Ablett, Swan, Daisy and three rookies (Coniglio, Tyson and Wingard)?

Is it wrong that I am seriously considering picking up Shane Tuck as a 4th or 5th mid?

After being dicked around last season, the club changed its mind on him after pressure from the fans. When he cracked it back into the 22, he closed out the season averaging over 100.

He's been told that if he is playing good footy, his place in the side is guaranteed. I feel he has the same qualities and longevity his father had and there is no reason why he cant keep playing how he has been.

SC averages:
'05 - 112,
'06 - 91,
'07 - 83,
'08 - 100,
'09 - 98,
'10 - 103

And at $445k he is in the same price bracket as Howlett, Mzungu, Lower and Monfries...

I've never been any good at Super Coach - but I want that to change this year.

Any thoughts on my midfield:
Pendlebury, Ablett, Swan, Daisy and three rookies (Coniglio, Tyson and Wingard)?
You're on the right track but it would be 4 premiums, 2 rookie starters and 2 rookie bench.

There is merit in having all of Swan/Pendles/Daisy and there could be an argument that Daisy will be improving again this year but for me personally I wouldn't do it. The chances of all 3 being in the top 6-8 mids would be unlikely. I dont think its happened for a while maybe the saints from a few years ago or possibly the cats before then but i'd prefer to spread it out to give you every chance you're getting the maximum points.

Is it wrong that I am seriously considering picking up Shane Tuck as a 4th or 5th mid?

After being dicked around last season, the club changed its mind on him after pressure from the fans. When he cracked it back into the 22, he closed out the season averaging over 100.

He's been told that if he is playing good footy, his place in the side is guaranteed. I feel he has the same qualities and longevity his father had and there is no reason why he cant keep playing how he has been.

SC averages:
'05 - 112,
'06 - 91,
'07 - 83,
'08 - 100,
'09 - 98,
'10 - 103

And at $445k he is in the same price bracket as Howlett, Mzungu, Lower and Monfries...

He's not one I'd pick because of previous SC history for his JS, average always pretty good though.

The knock on him has always been his effectiveness once he has to distribute the ball. (Not just by foot)

Now what I'm about to say is only hearsay from a Tiger (321 member) supporter mate.
He says, Hardwick likes him OK but said to him last year, we need to find out about others, so you'll be taking a back seat this year (2011), if that's ok we'll give you a contract next year, then you'll have to fight for your spot.
Is it true? Who knows, the Tiges did delist 11 players last year.

How much did you pay for this info?

Bugger all & that's probably what it's worth!!!!!

I seem to have an excess of GWS players in my mids. I scrapped Pfeiffer and Gibson (didn't play on the weekend so probs not a good sign) and now I have McDonald, Kennedy and Miles in my mids.

They all seem like good options to me but am I crazy having this many from one team?

I seem to have an excess of GWS players in my mids. I scrapped Pfeiffer and Gibson (didn't play on the weekend so probs not a good sign) and now I have McDonald, Kennedy and Miles in my mids.

They all seem like good options to me but am I crazy having this many from one team?

I've got D. Smith, Shiel but none of the above. I don't think you can go too wrong. Most of them will play a stack of games...it's just about which ones you think will average the most...which is gut-feel and a lot of pot luck mixed with some research into their careers to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back