Opinion 2013 preseason best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to see Simpson as our first ruck, where do you see West and Vardy next season?
West as backup, Vardy as permanent forward? One of them missing out?

I'd say one of Pods, Vardy and West has to miss out if Simpson is number 1 ruck. In all honesty it would be a great sign if the likes of West or Pods are playing a few games in the magoos at times because it will mean Vardy and Simpson (maybe Walker or Kerten too?) have really stepped up.

I'm not saying West should be dropped but I think he should be rotated out for a fame or 2 here or there to at least see what Simpson can offer.

hopefully Simpson is up for a full preseason and we will see what he capable of. Trying not to judge him on recent performances, because really they haven't been that good.

C Guthrie. T Lonergan. J Murdoch.
M Brown. H Taylor. T Hunt.
A Mackie. J Caddy. M Duncan.
S Johnson. N Vardy. D Menzel.
T Varcoe. T Hawkins. T Menzel .
T West. J Selwood. A Christensen.

J Stringer J Kelly J Bartel B Smedts

Still a dozen premiership players, and a smattering of youth..

Uhmmmmm...Corey Enright? Caddy key position....and in the 18 before Bartel and Kelly?

Hype affected you much?

B: Guthrie, Lonergan, Enright
HB: Mackie, Taylor, Murdoch
C: Kelly, Bartel, Corey
HF: Duncan, Podsiadly, Menzel
F: Johnson, Hawkins, Brown/Kersten
Foll: Vardy, Selwood, Christensen
Int: West, T.Hunt, varcoe, smedts

appologies to: motlop, walker, Horlin-Smith, all of who i'm happy to be proven wrong about if they can push a senior player out of their position. along with many other VFL players who i haven't seen enough of to make a call about

I also think historical positions are irrelevant in the modern game. Johnson, Duncan, hunt, smedts, menzel all to be involved in midfield rotations

Bartel and Corey both played primarily as defensive midfielders who can hurt going the other way

and also apologies to josh hunt. i just don't particularly like him - the sleeve tattoo pushed him over the edge, and for the sake of development i hope someone like guthrie or smedts can take his sport. but, he's probably important to our structure to start the year in our best 22

Uhmmmmm...Corey Enright? Caddy key position....and in the 18 before Bartel and Kelly?

Hype affected you much?
Probably :p Was more a team to take us into the next few years, and yes I realized I'd left Boris out just as I hit send, but wouldn't it be great if this team was pushing the vets for places, the sooner it happens in theory the better off we'll be. But yeah those three will be first picked if fit and firing, hopefully for a while yet..

All of these teams will be turned on their head once the draft is finished. I will wait until I see who we've drafted in the trade period before I even think about it.

Cheat! It's half the fun including players we have only been barely connected with in our prospective 2013 teams! It looks increasingly likely I'm going to have to find someone to replace Caddy in my team before he's even set foot in the club.

Cheat! It's half the fun including players we have only been barely connected with in our prospective 2013 teams! It looks increasingly likely I'm going to have to find someone to replace Caddy in my team before he's even set foot in the club.
Call me a spoilsport but I just struggle to see the point of listing players in a team when we don't know that we are getting them, and it also seems pointless to do a 2013 positional list based only on including the current players on the list from 2012 who haven't retired. I love to speculate and discuss on prospective players and debating on our needs and wants, but this just seems premature. I don't mean any offence, just my personal feeling about it. :cool:

Call me a spoilsport but I just struggle to see the point of listing players in a team when we don't know that we are getting them,...

I would not call you a spoiled sport. I also cannot see the point in listing players who are not on our list.

Do Dangerfield and Boak ring any bells?

Call me a spoilsport but I just struggle to see the point of listing players in a team when we don't know that we are getting them,...

I would not call you a spoiled-sport. I cannot see the point of listing players who are not on our list.
Do Dangerfield and Boak ring any bells?

B: Guthrie, Lonergan, Enright
HB: Mackie, Taylor, Murdoch
C: Kelly, Bartel, Horlin-Smith
F: Johnson, Hawkins, Chapman
Foll: Vardy, Selwood, Christensen
Int: West, T.Hunt, varcoe, smedts

adjusted on the back of seeing Horlin-Smith's game yesterday.... and because i forgot chapman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will have alot of depth next year barring injuries, especially if we pick up a caddy!

B: j hunt Lonergan enright
Hb: mackie Taylor bartel
C: varcoe Kelly Duncan
Hf: chapman pods menzel
F: Christianson Hawkins motlop
R: Simpson Selwood Johnson
Int from: Vardy t hunt Guthrie smedts
West horlin-smith stokes Murdoch Corey kersten m brown.

Others: burbury, stringer, eardley, walker, schroder

B: JHunt , Lonergan, Enright
HB: Mackie, Taylor, Guthrie
C: Kelly, Bartel, Murdoch
F: Johnson, Hawkins, Varcoe
Foll: Simpson, Selwood, Christensen
Int: West, T.Hunt, Smedts, Vardy.

Emerg. Brown, Kersten, Stokes

Fb. Brown lonergan Guthrie
Hb. Enright Taylor mackie
C. Duncan selwood varcoe
Hf. Motlop podsiadly bartel
Ff. Menzel Hawkins chappy
Fol vardy Kelly sj
Int. t.hunt smedts west christensen

Emerg: stokes Corey Murdoch

Others to get 5-10 games: schroder, hs, bews, kersten, walker, McCarthy, j.hunt

Only bring in Dawson if one of the rucks go down.

This is a tough one....I'm going with M Brown up back, however, there are several you could put in his place. After watching the magoos GF, I expect Bews to play a bit of seniors next year.

I read this team and think why can't be up there again next year. There are plenty of replacements as I list them below

B: J Hunt Lonergan M Brown
HB: Mackie Taylor Enright
C: Duncan Selwood Christensen
HF: Smedts Hawkins Bartel
F: Menzel Podsiadly Varcoe
R: West Johnson Kelly
I/C: Vardy Stokes Corey Chapman

Murdoch, Motlop, T Hunt, Simpson, Guthrie, Bews, Stephenson, Horlin-Smith, Kersten etc.....I'm assuming that most of the rookies we listed this year will be hard to retain.

I'd have a couple players in different positions, otherwise I think that's about the best we can muster at the moment.

positions schmositions. when the umpire bounces the ball the first time in a game there's 6 forwards, 6 backs, 4 midfielders and 2 wings. when the ball gets locked up in the middle and the umpire bounces it again there's 4 forwards, 4 backs, 10 midfielders, 2 of who have probably come off the bench since the first bounce!

This is a tough one....I'm going with M Brown up back, however, there are several you could put in his place. After watching the magoos GF, I expect Bews to play a bit of seniors next year.

I read this team and think why can't be up there again next year. There are plenty of replacements as I list them below

B: J Hunt Lonergan M Brown
HB: Mackie Taylor Enright
C: Duncan Selwood Christensen
HF: Smedts Hawkins Bartel
F: Menzel Podsiadly Varcoe
R: West Johnson Kelly
I/C: Vardy Stokes Corey Chapman

Murdoch, Motlop, T Hunt, Simpson, Guthrie, Bews, Stephenson, Horlin-Smith, Kersten etc.....I'm assuming that most of the rookies we listed this year will be hard to retain.

Very good side that, but I don't think you can have Brown and Mackie in the backline together. Too big with Lonergan and Taylor there as well. Taylor Hunt is best 22, and I'd be amazed if Guthrie isn't either.

Take our Brown, Stokes and Corey for Guthrie, T.Hunt and Horlin-Smith and I reckon that's as good as we've got for now. If Brown or Murdoch or others force their way in great.

First can we see any of these guys getting to Geelong..

Caddy, Stevens, Gysberts, McIntosh, Griffin, Salopek, Schofield , Toy ........ man we have been linked to more players than The Footy Show. As other have mentioned where are they going to fit.

Anyway ; I will miss someone but here goes

B: Gillies/Brown, Lonergan, Enright
HB: Mackie, Taylor, Guthrie/Murdoch
C: Kelly, Bartel, Christensen/GHS
F: Varcoe , Hawkins, Kersten/Stringer/Smedts
Foll: Vardy, Selwood, SJ
Int: West/Simpson, THunt/Schroder, Motlop/Stokes, Chappy/JC

FF: Chapman, Pods, Varcoe
HF: Johnson, Hawkins, Christensen
C: Duncan, Bartel, Mackie
HB: Guthrie, Bathie, Taylor
FB: Enright, Lonergan, J. Hunt

R: West, Kelly, Selwood

I/C: Smedts, Vardy, Menzel, T.Hunt.

Horlin-Smith next cab off the rank

What is the chances Caddy will be in the best 22 by seasons end ? Better than 50/50 ?

If we get HMac - who seems to be next in line in the trade period - so is at least a 50/50 chance of becoming a Cat - what chances he will be in the best 22 come finals time ? Probably better than 50/50 IMO.

Cannot comment on Gysberts as I have no idea whether he will become a Cat - and the same goes for Rivers.

Just find it hard to pick the best 22 presently. Cannot do this until the trade period is over - too hard - too many variables currently. But gee it will be fun to do and see who came the closest to picking the team for the first final we will play in 2013. No way if we get these guys will Geelong slide. Too many good players still in the senior side, too many good young players coming thru, good returnees in Varcoe and Menzel - and then we may add Caddy, HMac and Rivers.

I look forward to 2013 even more now.

Go Cats !

B : J.Hunt, Lonergan, Enright
HB : Mackie, Taylor, Bartel
C : Duncan, Kelly, Christensen
HF : Johnson, Vardy, Varcoe
F : Chapman, Hawkins, Menzel
R : West, Selwood, Corey
I/C : Caddy, Pods*, Smedts, T.Hunt

*Probably swap for Hmac if we get him.
All of Murdoch, Motlop, Kersten, GHS, Brown, Walker to get regular games. Or maybe not Kersten yet, but im hopeful.
Gee, this is hard.
I have to be missing a player or 3 aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back