Not open for further replies.
B : J.Hunt, Lonergan, Enright
HB : Mackie, Taylor, Rivers
C : Varcoe, Kelly, Christensen
HF : Johnson, Vardy, Bartel
F : Chapman, Hawkins, Menzel
R : McIntosh, Selwood, Duncan
I/C : Caddy, Motlop, T.Hunt, Stokes

McIntosh at his best is an elite ruckmen, unfortunately West will not reach that standard IMO.
McIntosh and Vardy could potentially be a very damaging combo, we got absolutely dominated in the hitouts this year which did no favors for our midfield.

Then my next thought is our starting 6 defenders, look at the experience and quality. I very much hope we get rivers as the obvious Scarlett replacement. Caddy is a huge bonus and could be anything.

With that starting 22 and importantly the inclusion of McIntosh + Rivers I believe we can go all the way.
I love your team there. Only change I would make would be Guthrie in for Stokes, given we have Varcoe, Motlop and Menzel in that lineup.

I love your team there. Only change I would make would be Guthrie in for Stokes, given we have Varcoe, Motlop and Menzel in that lineup.

couldn't agree more. stokes and pods I am very concerned about, will happily see them replaced by the likes of guthrie, walker, kersten or brown if they are upto it
chapman will be restricted to a permanent forward role which will make it difficult for stokes

couldn't agree more. stokes and pods I am very concerned about, will happily see them replaced by the likes of guthrie, walker, kersten or brown if they are upto it
chapman will be restricted to a permanent forward role which will make it difficult for stokes
If your namesake we recruit, would he get in, and where?

Dan yes, his brother who we haven't yet recruited??
will have to wait and see what happens with troy, lets hope hes as good as daniel and makes his way down to kardinia park
im very excited at the prospect of our forward line next year though,
menzel, hawkins, varcoe, chapman, bartel, vardy and others, can't wait!

FB: Guthrie, Lonergan, Rivers
HB: Enright, Taylor, Mackie
C: Duncan, Kelly, Varcoe
HF: Johnson, Vardy, Menzel
FF: Chapman, Hawkins, Kersten
R: Dawson, Bartel, Selwood
Int: Christensen, Murdoch, Motlop,
Sub: Caddy/Corey

Good side Menzelshow...but you cant have Vardy playing CHF and doubling as a relief ruck man. I think West has to be in there...

And being a Murdoch fan, I'd like to fit him in somewhere...and ...no Smedts? hmmm....I think he has to play......and Guthrie will play a lot next season.......and then there's Kersten..........and.......and.......

We have some depth, don't we? Tough job being on the MC!

Like it a lot. Swap Dawson, Murdoch for West and Hmac and I think we're good to go.

Stokes did just come off quite possibly his best year....but agree he will most likely be phased out.

Pods has still got a lot of value, but must be fully fit. He will do a pre-season for first time in three years, so I think he will still play a big part. I would expect between 10 and 15 games, dependant on how Vardy, Brown, Walker and possibly Kersten come on.

Stokes did just come off quite possibly his best year....but agree he will most likely be phased out.

Pods has still got a lot of value, but must be fully fit. He will do a pre-season for first time in three years, so I think he will still play a big part. I would expect between 10 and 15 games, dependant on how Vardy, Brown, Walker and possibly Kersten come on.

Nice to see some balance on Stokes,Gaz.He is a courages player for his diminutive size, but every year for 4 years the same few come on here and hammer the poor little fella,and ever year he comes out and players 20 odd games gets smashed from pillar to post and picks up on average some where around 20 possessions, maybe thats why successive coaches have continued to select him week in week out.Despite what's being said of him on big footy.
Eventually the knockers will be right and they will be able to gloat and say I told you so should have happened years go,should have got rid of him while he had some currency.
Bloody ungrateful I say.

not alot of love for thunt the kid played 20 games finished 12th in the best and fairest still peopledont rate him being in the best 22.

jhunt lonergan enright
mackie taylor thunt
duncan selwood bartel
varcoe vardy johnson
stokes hawkins chapman

Foll: west kelly corey

int: guthrie caddy christensen smedts

ive taken into consideration if we dont land hmac or rivers.

got guthrie as the 7th defender, caddy for more midfield depth to soak up minutes for the other guys aswell as bundy who can drift fwd aswell and smedts is more of a swing player play up back wing or fwd.

Nice to see some balance on Stokes,Gaz.He is a courages player for his diminutive size, but every year for 4 years the same few come on here and hammer the poor little fella,and ever year he comes out and players 20 odd games gets smashed from pillar to post and picks up on average some where around 20 possessions, maybe thats why successive coaches have continued to select him week in week out.Despite what's being said of him on big footy.
Eventually the knockers will be right and they will be able to gloat and say I told you so should have happened years go,should have got rid of him while he had some currency.
Bloody ungrateful I say.
Just cause he doesnt do the flashy things people want him out.
I sat in the stands and watched Stokes with a keen eye, he blocks more than anyone else, and its because of this one of the other forwards get a break on there man. Unheralded for doing team things like this every game. Stokes is a big part of our setup and maybe some Posters shouldn't judge him on Goals per game, Hangers per game, or 2 flashy things per game. People only watch what they wanna see but if you can get to a game live watch what he does of the ball and you might change your mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree on Stokes being still a required player and West at CHF is a good option as he is a good mark and kick at goal but gosh picking the team, we still seem to have an abundance- Smedts very good, Stringer was good in VFL finals, Murdoch not sure about, Horlin Smith good, thought Dawson Simpson started to play good footy as the year went on and again was good in the VFL grand final in the hit outs and around the ground for someone who has spent a lot of time injured. And then there is Burbery and Simpkin Bathie who would all probbaly make it in another team.

B: J.Hunt Longergan Enright
Hb: Mackie Taylor Guthrie
c: Duncan Bartel Christensen
hf: Johnson JPod Varcoe
f: Chapman Hawkins Stokes
R: West Selwood Kelly

Inter: Vardy, Caddy, Smedts, Corey

Bloody tough exercise this!!!
ive left out Rivers and Hmac, coz they are yet to become Geelong players, but if they do come through, then Hmac comes in for West and Rivers takes a spot leaving Guthrie and Hunt to fight for a small defenders role.

my players in bold are guys i consider to be certain starters, and should only miss games through injury, and the old "general soreness" which i somehow get the feeling, Chapman and Corey getting a lot, and Bartel, Enright, Johnson and Selwood to also suffer from on more then 1 occasion.

i feel the big question i will get is my ommission of Menzel, and its not because i dont rate him or think his best isnt enough, its just i dont want to have high expectations of a guy coming off 2 knee recos and think he should be given time in the vfl to find his feet again, as im naming this team for an early season blockbuster i.e v Hawthorn, so it is based a lot of past form.

I still think Jpod deserves to keep his spot, he is a great contested mark, and spilts packs as hard as anyone in the league, plus he is still capable of dominating games, and his role to fully occupy the 2nd best defender and get him out of Tommy's space is crucial. He will however not be guranteed games if his form waivers, with the option to play Vardy more at Chf, and bring West in(assuming we have Hank)

The rest of my players (ones not in bold) i feel will be given plenty of oppurtunity to play well, but will also know we have plenty of depth, with the likes of Stringer, Horlin-Smith, Motlop, Menzel, Hogan, Simpkin, Murdoch, Schroder ready to grab any chance from a smalls perspective, and then the Obvious depth we have in kpp, like Bathie, Gillies, Brown, Walker, Kersten and Simpson.

Naturally this team will change a lot throughout the year, with the above mentioned players all be getting plenty of games.

after reading the herald sun this morning, i am confused at why geelong are not going after Clinton Young!
i think he's an absolute gun, would love to have him down at geelong. And nothing would please me more than stealing a hawthorn player.

he is injury prone but then again who isn't nowadays. would love to see geelong join the bidding for him.
yes he's soft, but with the likes of bartel, selwood, kelly and corey around the ball we could do with an outside player like young, its what we were missing this year without varcoe.

How is Caddy as a follower? Haven't seen much of him, just highlights.

Would it be better for him to play as a midfielder or follower with Selwood?

FB: Rivers Lonergan Enright
HB: Mackie Taylor Bartel
C: Varcoe Kelly Duncan
FL: McIntosh Selwood Chr,'sen
HF: Johnson Vardy Menzel
F: Kersten Hawkins Chapman

West Caddy Stringer Smedts.

This is what I hope our best team looks like.

after reading the herald sun this morning, i am confused at why geelong are not going after Clinton Young!
i think he's an absolute gun, would love to have him down at geelong. And nothing would please me more than stealing a hawthorn player.

he is injury prone but then again who isn't nowadays. would love to see geelong join the bidding for him.
yes he's soft, but with the likes of bartel, selwood, kelly and corey around the ball we could do with an outside player like young, its what we were missing this year without varcoe.
If he's the guy who fell over in the goal square in the final? Then no way Jose.

I think we need to be careful about counting our chickens with respect to HMac and Rivers.
They are not Geelong players, and may never be.

Another plus for Stokes:
He is always getting around the young guys during the game.
I can imagine guys like Christensen, Motlop, and Smedts would love having Stokes nearby.

I would not count Rivers in the side. He may very well go the way of Dangerfield and Boak.
It seems a bit silly including players who are not contracted to the club.

MELBOURNE defender and unrestricted free agent Jared Rivers remains a chance to stay at the Demons and will not be in a position to make an informed decision on his future until later in the week.

His manager Nigel Carmody from ESP told Gillette AFL Trade Radio that Rivers would have to wait and see what transpired from meetings held between AFL clubs this week before he knew what his options might be, but he emphasised that Rivers was no guarantee to depart Melbourne.

"By no stretch is he definitely leaving Melbourne," Carmody said.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/149370/default.aspx

I think we need to be careful about counting our chickens with respect to HMac and Rivers.
They are not Geelong players, and may never be.
Absolutely, and even if traded, I don't think either are automatic best 22....West has been great, Dawson coming off an injury plagued season and anyone who saw big Os final half to the season will understand just how valuable he is. Given Guthrie and Mitch Brown's likely move to the backline, Rivers has some competition for spots too.

If Rivers comes to Geelong, he will be selected. No doubt about that in my mind at least.

He's a very solid defender/stopper, rarely beaten in the air with very good hands. Personally, I hope we get him.

...we could do with an outside player like young, its what we were missing this year without varcoe.
I think you just answered your own question.

The reason Geelong isn't interested in Young is probably because Varcoe will be back next year.

That and $.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back