List Mgmt. 2013 Trading & Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really?

Wow what do people expect with no picks. The majority seem to want to hold on to all our players too.

You wouldn't be happy with an offseason of:

Betts, Edwards & pick 20 while only losing Vince?

We will still use our pick 45 or whatever. We could still get a reasonable player there like Mitch Thorp, Ben Brown or a slider. Given the draft is so even, there will be some ok players slide out.

some people can never be pleased and look for any opportunity to put down their club

I think they were, just that Polec chose Port. Will be interesting to see what unfolds.

I got the impression from Noble that even though the deal with Port hasn't been completed, and Noble wants to still try and get Polec, deep down he didn't sound confident or convinced that we had a realistic chance of getting him...did you get the same impression?

There's no point spending FA money for the sake of it. Go look at who could be available next year and tell me you wouldn't front load some contracts to have cash available next year.

exactly and we should target Byrce Gibbs who becomes a restricted free agent

There is no way we end up with Polec from here. He will play for Port next year.
I was told 2 weeks ago that he would definitely be at Port. I didn't post it as I couldn't vouch in anyway for the source.
I'm not that upset about it either. I expect he will prove to be a good pick up for Port but not a world beater.

You do realize that knightmare has Matt Crouch rated as potential elite AFL player and rated as a higher potential than Aish? The kid is going to be a gun. If we have an opportunity to get him we do.

Sorry I didn't realise knightmare held the key to all things potential AFL Elite.

I never said he wasn't going to be a good AFL player. However, I did say - If only he is half the player his brother is. He isnt as good as Brad. Fact.

I got the impression from Noble that even though the deal with Port hasn't been completed, and Noble wants to still try and get Polec, deep down he didn't sound confident or convinced that we had a realistic chance of getting him...did you get the same impression?

Honestly don't care anymore. I think he's acted like a 15 year old over the past few weeks and evidently his team mates at Brisbane didn't rate him either. The crows were the ones trying to bring him home in that Tippett trade and this is how he repays them. F him. I wouldn't touch him with a 50 foot pole if I was Noble.

Unless he was in the PSD.

Honestly don't care anymore. I think he's acted like a 15 year old over the past few weeks and evidently his team mates at Brisbane didn't rate him either. The crows were the ones trying to bring him home in that Tippett trade and this is how he repays them. F him. I wouldn't touch him with a 50 foot pole if I was Noble.

Well I have said all along I didn't understand all the hype over an injury prone player that has played 16 games and why we are busting our ass for a bloke that isn't fussed who he plays for is no endorsement of his desire to play for our club.
Second rounder is overs IMO.
I also think the comments from Rob Kerr didn't paint Polec in a favorable light either.

If we got him on the cheap fine but other than that I certainly don't care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really wanted him and forced myself to believe he was a good bloke but now I can't stand the guy. All that twitter nonsense and not nominating a club makes me feel like he's a self centred idiot who only cares about himself and not the team he plays for. Typical port filth ;)

Just like not everything the club says is true, not everything the club says is false.

I'd love for Noble to come out and tell us that because we don't have the first and second round draft picks we should, it's making his job really hard to do. It's not his fault we don't have them, however, it certainly impacts on his ability do do his job. Put the pressure back where it belongs, firmly, and squarely on Trigg.

I might get shot down for this but I'd be incredibly ANGRY if we didn't take him with our pick...

Our first pick is pick 42 anyway ;)
/ducks for cover

Bit like the vitriol directed at everyone when Dangerfield was taken over Ebert?? Now look at them, one is a good honest battler and the other is top echelon of the game.

Grandfather offer?

No way in hell should we have offered Franklin $10m over 9 years!

I'm not suggesting we should have done this but we should have been able to offer him say $1.5 M a year for 5 years. I want to know what we are doing with the salary cap space that has opened up since $kirt departed.

Last year we lost $kirt (we offered him $850 - $900K a year) and Dogga who would have been on a modest salary (say $250K). In comes Callinan from the rookie list, Graham, Crouch, Siggins and Atkins.

This year we lose Vince (currently on around $400K), Tambling ($300K) and Stiffy ($300-350K). In comes Eddie ($500K a year). Add in the increase in the salary cap over the last 2 years and where the hell are we spending the money.

I am pleased to see Eddie but I would have expected at least an "Eddie" + a "Dale Thomas" (i.e. a player paid $700K a year) given the extra money available.

I can never tell with Nobes.

I'm not suggesting we should have done this but we should have been able to offer him say $1.5 M a year for 5 years. I want to know what we are doing with the salary cap space that has opened up since $kirt departed.

Last year we lost $kirt (we offered him $850 - $900K a year) and Dogga who would have been on a modest salary (say $250K). In comes Callinan from the rookie list, Graham, Crouch, Siggins and Atkins.

This year we lose Vince (currently on around $400K), Tambling ($300K) and Stiffy ($300-350K). In comes Eddie ($500K a year). Add in the increase in the salary cap over the last 2 years and where the hell are we spending the money.

I am pleased to see Eddie but I would have expected at least an "Eddie" + a "Dale Thomas" (i.e. a player paid $700K a year) given the extra money available.

I'd hope Danger has a decent cut of it, and Sloane. Hendo probably got a payrise on his 3 year deal. Still only partially covers it, but has to be included.

Vince isn't signed, sealed, delivered yet either.

If GWS are looking to trade for Dees 2nd rounder, we should try & enter a 3-way deal to land Edwards when trading Vince for pick #20. Edwards sounds like someone we could develop to take over from Hendo, should he leave us in a years' time (hopefully Hendo stays & we play both)... & also if the perennially injured Shaw doesn't come up.

If Betts, Jpod, Edwards are all ins... along with Laird & Hartigan rookie upgrade, we have a few outs to add to Stiffy. Time to clear out fringe types we don't think will be part of our best-22 & if we can trade them for pick ugrades, even better.

I'd hope Danger has a decent cut of it, and Sloane. Hendo probably got a payrise on his 3 year deal. Still only partially covers it, but has to be included.

Vince isn't signed, sealed, delivered yet either.
Talia and Jacobs would both have got hefty payrises as well.

In terms of FA we have done pretty well given who was available. Betts and Pods absolutely fill needs and cost nothing. I believe the fruits of our drafting / trading from the last 5 years or so have pretty much evolved and are now in place - essentially the core of our next flag tilt . CEY is perhaps the only one left with ? And the potential to be part of that group.

This season was an important step in weeding out some of those players who we were relying upon but would not step up, and in their place, the last group of kids have stepped up. We now have a nice spread of first round picks (+ a few who would have been - crouch/brown) as well as later picks who have blossomed ( Grigg/ Sloane). I think we have a very good side when all on the park.

I think where we are now deficient is really young kids with potential. I think all we have outside of CEY is Atkins and Siggins. Our reserves side is shaping as a semi dads army of depth players - Graham, Jaensch, Martin, Porps, Tambling, + some higher quality players who may be pressing but just missing out - Wright, Lyons, etc.

For the last few years there has been some real excitement in following developing players in the SANFL - but their time has pretty much come. Edwards will be a welcome addition in this regard. we've reached a point I believe , where our best side is more or less settled ( with some additions) and we need to be ready for a decent flush out next year and load up on draft picks.

Oh and bring back Gibbs as a FA.

Bit like the vitriol directed at everyone when Dangerfield was taken over Ebert?? Now look at them, one is a good honest battler and the other is top echelon of the game.
Sorry it was a meant to be a bit of a joke... Some where suggesting if we secured pick 9 then they would be angry if we didn't pick M Crouch. I was suggesting I too would be very angry if we didn't pick Matt Crouch with our "available" pick as our first available pick is 42.

If we had pick 9 I would trust our recruiting team to choose the best player available. However M Crouch is tipped to go top 20 so if he was still there at 42 we obviously should take him as he would be a huge draft slider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back