List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne not going for that , miles off
Plenty of possible pathways we 'could' try. Could we split 4 with GC for 6 & 20. Leaves us with 6, 20, 28 & F1. In this draft could we secure a mid to late 1st for 20 & 28 - is with ay Freo for 16? or Brisbane for 17? then offer that and our F1 for Pickett - 2 1st rounders with nothing coming back. Take 6 to the draft for a high end mid and then offer up 43 and whatever we get from say a fringe player trade out for ANB - maybe its 2 x 3rd round picks? just spitballing that I think we could get the draft capital if we wanted it whilst still taking a high pick to this draft

So he has a defensive mindset? Havent you said Murphy would be a good back pocket player because he has a defensive mindset?

Havent the coaches said Murphy is there to protect the ground and apply pressure - like a defender would?

So tell me why Cummins cant do it again
Cummings has never played back pocket he's a running back/winger and I just don't believe he will be worth the salary he'll be on in a postion that is not a real need. Fine you disagree, he's not coming into replace Murphy in any way, shape or form.

Last edited:

What exactly makes sydney the best in the business?
I don't know how closely you follow the draft but I can certainly tell you Kinnear Beatson and Simon Dalrymple are both held in the highest regard within recruiting circles. Beatson played a big part in the Lions premiership teams and Sydney's Premiership team and a team that have rarely missed Finals, also oversees the talent brought into the Swans Academy. Simon Dalrymple is the man behind the Western Bulldogs list build to their premiership and then joined Sydney for a fair stretch, since joined St Kilda early in the year and will be doing his 1st draft for them this upcoming draft.

Last edited:
Nank untouchable

Keane at the right price but preferably not

Laird is the one I’d trade , follow the hawks model
It would surprise me personally if Rory Laird would come at a move interstate with a contract that extends to 2026 when he will be fast closing on 33 y.o. Only way that works is if he's agreeable and he has a taker that will pony up fair value?

It would surprise me personally if Rory Laird would come at a move interstate with a contract that extends to 2026 when he will be fast closing on 33 y.o. Only way that works is if he's agreeable and he has a taker that will pony up fair value?
Wish that he was one of the senior players Clarko seems to be trying to lure to NM, but it doesn’t appear he’s on his list

Wish that he was one of the senior players Clarko seems to be trying to lure to NM, but it doesn’t appear he’s on his list
Well he's certainly not as combative as Jack Viney but he generally goes in hard considering he's only a little bloke.

Also sounds like we’ve reached out to Pickett which is smart

The melts would be significant if we used pick 4 which is prob what it would take

Can’t see Pickett coming to us

Pickett won't come to us and even if he did we are keeping pick 4. The plus side is if Pickett gets to Port then that will remove them from Luko and other potential ins.

Pickett won't come to us and even if he did we are keeping pick 4. The plus side is if Pickett gets to Port then that will remove them from Luko and other potential ins.
I’d like Pickett over Luko if it was ever possible. But it almost certainly isn’t, it sounds like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To say that half back flankers / wingmen with speed and a penetrating and accurate kick (ie Cumming) are not a list need is bewildering to me.

Brodie Smith is cooked beyond belief.

Wayne Milera’s career is hanging by a thread due to serious knee issues.

Lachie Sholl just might lose a foot race with Reilly O’Brien and can’t kick 50m.

Nankervis is clearly better suited up the ground than in defence. I’d love to see him play the first month of 2025 on a wing personally, which creates even more of a gap at half back which is ultimately where Cumming would play for us.

Cook is a massive question mark.

Murphy has been tried on a wing and failed.

Hinge has played on a wing for the past fortnight and looks completely out of his depth and is clearly far more comfortable deeper in defence.

Ryan is completely untried.

Laird on a back flank is laughable. No speed. Terrible decision making. Horrendous kicks. Hospital handballs.

Parnell (who has been tried at half back) and McHenry (who has spent time on a wing) are being delisted because they aren’t AFL players.

Cumming is a huge list need. Our outside mids and general mix of players with a combo of penetrating kicks and genuine speed are shit - you’d struggle to find a worse group in the league than our back flankers and wingmen tbh. I want Ryan to debut as much as the next guy, but ultimately he’s a 19 year old 0 gamer who may or may not make the grade.

Curtin looks a great prospect - he certainly is not a speedy prospect though.

Also, Cumming had no injury issues whatsoever for the 3 years leading up to this year (he played 65 games from 2021-2023, averaging over 20 disposals per game in that 3 year period) so the notion that he’s injury prone is horse shit.

He’s had a shit run of luck this year. He’s a very accomplished and experienced outside mid / half back flanker with finals experience, who can also play on a half back flank in an attacking role. He’s competing with the likes of Lachie Whitfield, Lachie Ash and Josh Kelly at the Giants in back flank and wing roles. Who have we got? Laird, Sholl, and some rotating wing spot that we shove the likes of Taylor, Murphy, Hinge and Dowling into to cover the fact that we don’t trust anyone in this role? Smith and Milera are going to save the day are they? For crying out loud.

If you’re arguing that Cumming isn’t a list need, you’re also arguing that Wanganeen-Milera isn’t a list need, because they play the same position.

Sure, I’d absolutely rather NWM than Cumming too, but NWM is going to cost 2 first rounders if you can somehow convince him to come here (vs getting Cumming for free), and if you don’t think Cumming is an upgrade on all of Laird on a back flank, the corpse of Smith on a back flank, the corpse of Milera on a back flank, Murphy being played on a wing at times, Sholl on a wing, Hinge being played on a wing at times (he barely got near it against Port in this role), Cook on a wing (not to mention the benefit of him freeing up Nankervis to play on a wing) then I’m guessing you probably also argued against acquiring Rankine and Betts (actually I’m not guessing).

If anyone isn’t a list need, it’s Lukosius.

We need 2 rucks. 1 experienced. 1 young and developing.

We need 2 elite mids. At least one of whom needs to be a goalkicker who can rotate to half forward.

We need a wingman with speed and elite kick.

We need a half back flanker with speed and elite kick.

We need a small forward with speed and agility who can genuinely kick goals, and apply tackling pressure / lock the ball inside 50.

Once we casually grab those 7 things, we can start talking about a 3rd tall in attack who is the reincarnation of Lewis Johnston and would inexplicably become one of our top 5 paid players.

Edit: I forgot to mention the epic fail that is Chayce Jones on a wing or at half back. You know, the same Chayce Jones that was a walk up start for us for what, 14-15 games this season?

Last edited:
It’s obvious our list management needs to focus on the young ones but alas Smith and Jones will continue to get picked week in and week out. Only fools and horses would have kept Murphy on the list this year let alone that red dwarf McHenry…and next year Tex should be putting his feet up and living the good life but ‘allo ‘allo he’ll get another one year deal any minute now. Don’t get me wrong the recruitment of Dawson and Rankine was absolutely fabulous but we were too quick to get rid of men behaving badly like Stengle and Crouch and it seems like we are just going to be keeping up appearances in the bottom half of the ladder for some time to come. As time goes by our frustration is growing and most of us supporters will have one foot in the grave by the time we’re next contenders. In the front office Roo and Burton were birds of a feather and now Kelly is completely out of his depth as minder for the football department. Which leaves us with Nicks who is the spitting image of his mentor Kenny (but without the mediocre success). If we’re going to get the upper hand then yes, minister Olsen you’re going to have step up and drop the dead donkey.

I'm struggling to find too many positions that we COULDN'T upgrade.

For me, I'd rather cut a bit deeper and give the list more of a shake. Turning over 8 spots is ideal.

And, before anyone asks, I'd make eight spots by -

RETIRED
Brodie Smith
Rory Sloane

DELISTED
Elliot Himmelberg - free agent, no compo
Sam Berry - traded, Richmond pick 39.
Lachlan Gollant
Ned McHenry
Chris Burgess
Will Hamill (R) - Toby Murray takes this spot
Patrick Parnell (R)

MOVED TO ROOKIE LIST
Keiran Strachan (or anyone with a year left on contract)

To say that half back flankers / wingmen with speed and a penetrating and accurate kick (ie Cumming) are not a list need is bewildering to me.

Brodie Smith is cooked beyond belief.

Wayne Milera’s career is hanging by a thread due to serious knee issues.

Lachie Sholl just might lose a foot race with Reilly O’Brien and can’t kick 50m.

Nankervis is clearly better suited up the ground than in defence. I’d love to see him play the first month of 2025 on a wing personally, which creates even more of a gap at half back which is ultimately where Cumming would play for us.

Cook is a massive question mark.

Murphy has been tried on a wing and failed.

Hinge has played on a wing for the past fortnight and looks completely out of his depth and is clearly far more comfortable deeper in defence.

Ryan is completely untried.

Laird on a back flank is laughable. No speed. Terrible decision making. Horrendous kicks. Hospital handballs.

Parnell (who has been tried at half back) and McHenry (who has spent time on a wing) are being delisted because they aren’t AFL players.

Cumming is a huge list need. Our outside mids and general mix of players with a combo of penetrating kicks and genuine speed are shit - you’d struggle to find a worse group in the league than our back flankers and wingmen tbh. I want Ryan to debut as much as the next guy, but ultimately he’s a 19 year old 0 gamer who may or may not make the grade.

Curtin looks a great prospect - he certainly is not a speedy prospect though.

Also, Cumming had no injury issues whatsoever for the 3 years leading up to this year (he played 65 games from 2021-2023, averaging over 20 disposals per game in that 3 year period) so the notion that he’s injury prone is horse shit.

He’s had a shit run of luck this year. He’s a very accomplished and experienced outside mid / half back flanker with finals experience, who can also play on a half back flank in an attacking role. He’s competing with the likes of Lachie Whitfield, Lachie Ash and Josh Kelly at the Giants in back flank and wing roles. Who have we got? Laird, Sholl, and some rotating wing spot that we shove the likes of Taylor, Murphy, Hinge and Dowling into to cover the fact that we don’t trust anyone in this role? Smith and Milera are going to save the day are they? For crying out loud.

If you’re arguing that Cumming isn’t a list need, you’re also arguing that Wanganeen-Milera isn’t a list need, because they play the same position.

Sure, I’d absolutely rather NWM than Cumming too, but NWM is going to cost 2 first rounders if you can somehow convince him to come here (vs getting Cumming for free), and if you don’t think Cumming is an upgrade on all of Laird on a back flank, the corpse of Smith on a back flank, the corpse of Milera on a back flank, Murphy being played on a wing at times, Sholl on a wing, Hinge being played on a wing at times (he barely got near it against Port in this role), Cook on a wing (not to mention the benefit of him freeing up Nankervis to play on a wing) then I’m guessing you probably also argued against acquiring Rankine and Betts (actually I’m not guessing).

If anyone isn’t a list need, it’s Lukosius.

We need 2 rucks. 1 experienced. 1 young and developing.

We need 2 elite mids. At least one of whom needs to be a goalkicker who can rotate to half forward.

We need a wingman with speed and elite kick.

We need a half back flanker with speed and elite kick.

We need a small forward with speed and agility who can genuinely kick goals, and apply tackling pressure / lock the ball inside 50.

Once we casually grab those 7 things, we can start talking about a 3rd tall in attack who is the reincarnation of Lewis Johnston and would inexplicably become one of our top 5 paid players.

Edit: I forgot to mention the epic fail that is Chayce Jones on a wing or at half back. You know, the same Chayce Jones that was a walk up start for us for what, 14-15 games this season?
Great post

Sounds like the author reads bigfooty as most of us would be well in for those gains in this off season whilst losing the fringe players mentioned to pick up some late draft picks
The Advertiser should pay a finders fee to BF, been same way for years. Rucci admitted to ghosting these pages regularly.
You just have to wonder seriously about what sort of budget media outlets are run with .
Andrew Capel wrote this article, he also wrote the article last week where Dodson nominated he has chosen football.
I reckon the work experience kid was in charge and nothing is proof read.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back