2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for that. I have often thought Merrett was "tripping." Could there be a link?

Blotter paper perhaps?

butthead_full.jpg

I must admit watching his highlights helped get over the fast developing crisp leaving but plays like Gibson, Gunstan and Mundy.... How did he slip through? Great write up but sometimes I think these profiles makes everyone Pick1's. I would love to know more of what he needs to work on to become better as a player.

I must admit watching his highlights helped get over the fast developing crisp leaving but plays like Gibson, Gunstan and Mundy.... How did he slip through? Great write up but sometimes I think these profiles makes everyone Pick1's. I would love to know more of what he needs to work on to become better as a player.

What he needs to work on is mentioned there?

Personally I hate the 'plays like' part because people are just trying to describe a player, put people see it as they will turn into that player.

But Lions no doubt got a bargain, you'll be rapt with him!

Personally I hate the 'plays like' part because people are just trying to describe a player, put people see it as they will turn into that player.

Yeah I know. Sorry, not meaning to downplay the work gone into it. Appreciate the work mate and I do hope he goes and sees Rocky's boxing coach and finds a way to be what his potential is.

Ch
Yeah I know. Sorry, not meaning to downplay the work gone into it. Appreciate the work mate and I do hope he goes and sees Rocky's boxing coach and finds a way to be what his potential is.
cheers! Apparently tigers were actually contemplating using pick 13 to bid on him! Dawson is a great bloke, and from a great family!

You do have to laugh at some of these plays like suggestions but I suppose for those that have not been able to see him play it creates an image of a style. For the record Dawson is listed here as 187cms and 82kgs. Gibson is 189/94, Gunston is 193/84 and Mundy 192/91 so are they also suggesting he's still growing?

So, he plays like Gibson amongst the kids with an ability to read the game but will still take 5 seasons to put on 10kgs and maybe several runs in the middle as a tagger before he really plays like Gibson but then again.

Yeah, I'm taking the piss, glad this isn't in his Roster Watch.

Is he still growing?

Yeah, I'm taking the piss, glad this isn't in his Roster Watch.[/QUOTE]

Agree! They are actually the players that he mentioned to myself in an earlier interview that he compares his style to. Dawson is actually 190cm now (quick update), and isn't expected to grow any more. He has always played taller due to his strength at overhead marking.

Agree! They are actually the players that he mentioned to myself in an earlier interview that he compares his style to. Dawson is actually 190cm now (quick update), and isn't expected to grow any more. He has always played taller due to his strength at overhead marking.
Appreciate the reply and the context. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ch
cheers! Apparently tigers were actually contemplating using pick 13 to bid on him! Dawson is a great bloke, and from a great family!

For what it's worth, After speaking to a few people in the know, I'm positive they never actually contemplated Dawson at pick 13. Would have been huge overs and we wouldn't have matched it as our club would have been keeping our second rounder for Beams. Richmond way too interested in someone rated highly by a few other clubs and people on here that think could fall to them at pick 12.

I asked Cal Twmoey on twitter how many picks we are using. He said he thinks 1. I would hope we would use more.

Wouldn't we have to use a minimum of two live picks or do the academy kids count as live?

If we only take one pick I would assume that we will take more rookies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked Cal Twmoey on twitter how many picks we are using. He said he thinks 1. I would hope we would use more.

Wouldn't we have to use a minimum of two live picks or do the academy kids count as live?

If we only take one pick I would assume that we will take more rookies.

Academy picks count as live ones as they would otherwise have been draftee picks.

Patrick Keane said on twitter that you can no longer upgrade rookies

Haven't seen the tweet but I"m guessing he meant that upgraded rookies don't count towards your minimum draft picks you're required to take. You certainly can upgrade rookies.

Presumably he meant at the draft. Can still just pass on the last pick and elevate later.
I was thinking we'd take more rookies and upgrade one if needed like we did in 2012

Patrick Keane said on twitter that you can no longer upgrade rookies

Presumably he meant at the draft. Can still just pass on the last pick and elevate later.

Haven't seen the tweet but I"m guessing he meant that upgraded rookies don't count towards your minimum draft picks you're required to take. You certainly can upgrade rookies.

What it actually says is that clubs had to nominate rookies who will be elevated at the draft by last Friday. Rookies are still upgraded at the draft. Rookies can still be upgraded into a spare list spot at the start of next year if we keep a spot open. Upgraded rookies still count towards your minimum draft picks you're required to take.

Brett Anderson has posted his mock draft today for inside football on SEN. With our two live picks Brett has us taking Nick Newman & Josh McGuinness. I know it doesn't mean much as our picks are very late on and anything could happen, but what I did find interesting is that he has us taking Nick Newman a mature age defender from Frankston.

Here is an article I found on Nick for anyone interested.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...gill-round-medal/story-fngnvmn9-1227028413869

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back