2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

This compensation thing could be massively exploited. Let a player go to and sign for Club X, get compensation pick. Next year trade a similar pick to Club X in return for the player to get him back along with steak knives...

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...s-to-play-on-with-tigers-20141006-10r1mw.html

Winderlich leaving Essendon for Richmond. He'll be a pretty handy pickup for Richmond. Tough pill to swallow for the Bombers.

This was the bit that caught my eye:

In other news, midfielder Elliott Kavanagh has told the Bombers he may examine other options, having struggled to break into the senior side in his three years there

I'd forgotten all about that guy! If memory serves he was seen as a pretty good prospect as a junior, and then his dad apparently tried to discourage other clubs into not taking him, so he could wind up at the Bombers.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...s-to-play-on-with-tigers-20141006-10r1mw.html

Winderlich leaving Essendon for Richmond. He'll be a pretty handy pickup for Richmond. Tough pill to swallow for the Bombers.

I'd forgotten all about that guy! If memory serves he was seen as a pretty good prospect as a junior, and then his dad apparently tried to discourage other clubs into not taking him, so he could wind up at the Bombers.

That's funny because Winderlich came out saying on Twitter he'd stick with Hird et al...

What, you actually believed Redden was going to leave?

With all the speculation (didn't want to say shit) that gets thrown around big footy and the circus that is the Melbourne media it's hard to know what to believe or expect to happen. It's reassuring to hear something so conclusive from the horses mouth so to speak.

With all the speculation (didn't want to say shit) that gets thrown around big footy and the circus that is the Melbourne media it's hard to know what to believe or expect to happen. It's reassuring to hear something so conclusive from the horses mouth so to speak.
I find it is best to believe absolutely nothing until it actually happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting Kavanagh wants out after rorting the draft to get to the Bombers.

There are a couple of things about the Frawley situation that really irk me:

A) Melbourne have literally been rewarded for mismanaging Frawley's contract (as I mentioned elsewhere)

To be fair to Melbourne, this isn't their fault. When Frawley signed FA was only on the horizon, and there wasn't an indication that this kind of clause would be included. Any existing contracts really should have been grandfathered through such that they only became RFA upon expiry.

That's the one. Hilarious result, but when you're picking up someone with such a sense of selfrighteousness as to figure they should be able to select their own club, don't be surprised if they pick up their toys and go home if things don't go their way at said club.

To be fair to Melbourne, this isn't their fault. When Frawley signed FA was only on the horizon, and there wasn't an indication that this kind of clause would be included. Any existing contracts really should have been grandfathered through such that they only became RFA upon expiry.

I had thought that might be the case so I guess I can't be too mad. But they had at least 3 years of free agency to rearrange the contract to make it work still.

Perhaps what's even note ridiculous about that concept is that the players aren't ranked on the average wage they make per year on their last contract, instead of the actual final year. Seems it would be pretty easy yo manipulate this the other way as well to stop people from leaving, guess the clubs gotta fight back at some point.

That's the one. Hilarious result, but when you're picking up someone with such a sense of selfrighteousness as to figure they should be able to select their own club, don't be surprised if they pick up their toys and go home if things don't go their way at said club.

Yup, think it happened around roughly 5 times last year ;)

It really is absurd that Frawley's departure is to the detriment of 16 clubs (not including St Kilda or Hawthorn), all the while benefiting the two clubs that least deserve a leg up (Melbourne (self-explnatory) and Hawthorn (premiers of the past two seasons)).

The free agency system is so flawed it is a joke and like priority picks before them, Hawthorn again look to be one of the few benefactors that reap massive rewards.

LOL Essendon want Wingard or Wines for Ryder!
Should be a Collingwood player that wants to go to Essendon, or vice versa, and wouldn't that be a scream.
BF would go into meltdown.
The'd pretty much have to just swap lists.

Yup, think it happened around roughly 5 times last year ;)

Slightly different - Kavanagh "selected" his club pre-draft (like Wingard), so there's early warning signs there. The GH5 were requesting trades.

Kavanagh actively tries to sway clubs from picking him so he can play for Essendon, then wants to leave when he doesn't get many games. Quality individual right there, would be happy to have him.....

With Malceski leaving I think we could expect out pick 25 to become pick 26 with the Swans getting an end of 1st round selection (3 year contract on probably good money). We may be able to trade Patfull and 25 for the compensation pick (provided he actually wants to leave) and then on trade that to Collingwood.

So it becomes pick 15 and 18 for Beams. Think I could live with that though I'd rather Patfull stayed.

With Malceski leaving I think we could expect out pick 25 to become pick 26 with the Swans getting an end of 1st round selection (3 year contract on probably good money). We may be able to trade Patfull and 25 for the compensation pick (provided he actually wants to leave) and then on trade that to Collingwood.

So it becomes pick 15 and 18 for Beams. Think I could live with that though I'd rather Patfull stayed.

From the Waite result it seems like the age of the player is a big factor, so I expect it's more likely to be tier 3 compensation, which would be a second rounder.

Incidentally, the Waite move might also have firmed the Lions' decision to trade Patfull now.

I believe that compo pick is now 21, so it'd be 5 and 21 for Beams. I suspect we'd want change out of 25 and Patfull for 21. GWS might get a lower second rounder in the O'Rourke/Jaksch/Giles/Frost deals which they can send back to us.

Dunno if its been discussed but what do you think Western Bulldogs would be willing to give for Merrett? They've got a couple of second round picks and seriously need more KPDs. Haven't been to their board but from the outset they look like a team that's balls deep in young talent but need to sure up key posts either end to reach the next level.

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back