Preview 2015 Grand Final: Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles - Gunston IN, Hartung OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't mind this. Any further update on Hodge (not training yesterday) and Gunner's conditions. Also heard Smith had limited training? Any reason?

Wouldn't be too concerned at this stage. Anyone with niggles will be managed. As long as they're training tomorrow, then hopefully all is good.

I wouldn't mind this. Any further update on Hodge (not training yesterday) and Gunner's conditions. Also heard Smith had limited training? Any reason?

Go outside and throw yourself on the ground about 10 times. It hurts. Hodge landed heavily on a Freo boot, Bruest hit the fence, Rioli got a Dawson knee in the back, Smith prob still has an ankle less than 100%, etc. You manage the load early in the week for recovery. Train hard Thursday. That's when we'll see who's in line for selection.

Have two cousins coming over from Perth on Saturday who are Hawks fans but haven't been able to get tickets. Are very realistic about having to pay good $$ for them. Let me know if anyone has 2.

I particularly loved their last qtr in that game. Kicked 1.4 and held Richmond to 0.4. Champagne football, give them the cup already. :thumbsu:

We accept.

I hope so, but you never know what's going to happen until game day.

I didn't think they gave the Eagles enough credit, they're a quality team (they have to be to get this far!). Yes a lot of the Hawks had a down game during the QF..... but a lot of that was due to the pressure the Eagles were putting the Hawks under, rather than every player playing as though they had an all night bender and decided to put on the footy boots.

I am really worried about the outcome, more worried than 2013 (the hype almost got to me) and even 2014 where I was convinced Sydney were going to smash them. I can't be greedy as back to back flags is special. I just hope if any team is going to have a bad day at the office, it's the Eagles.
I still reckon the Hawks tanked that game and is why they played so poorly, especially after Clarko stated to the media before round 23 that he is not a fan of rests/breaks close to the finals as a couple of other teams have, and are now interestingly out of the race! Firstly the Hawks are more matched hardened than W/C, and secondly, it can lapse the Weagles into a false sense of security with their self-satified looking coach geeing them along. There are a lot who do not agree with me I know, but I have been saying this for awhile no matter who at the time turns out to be our opponent.

They aren't having the grandfinal marathon here in brisbane on friday night, so we're simply going to watch every hawthorn premiership, the only club with more than 24 hours of premiership victory actually captured on film.

Last edited:
I posted this on the main board (regarding stadium dimensions)

It's pretty ironic that York Park, given how much the WA clubs complain about the Aurora matches, is the next closest stadium to the MCG in terms of ground dimensions

West Coast's record at Subiaco - 12 wins, 2 losses 1594/903 (174.3%)
West Coast's record away from Subiaco - 6 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses 932/788 (118%)

Of West Coast's 10 games away from Subiaco, the Eagles played at the following venues -

Docklands (159sqm x 128.5sqm) - 2 wins, 1 loss 305/231 (133%)
Adelaide Oval (167sqm x 124sqm) - 1 win, 1 loss 147/194 (75.77%)
MCG (171sqm x 146sqm) - 1 win, 0 losses 90/70 N/A
Marrara Oval (I can't get anyone to confirm the dimensions?) - 1 win, 0 losses 114/60 N/A
Metricon Stadium (161sqm x 134sqm) - 1 draw 83/83 N/A
Bellrieve Oval (175sqm x 135sqm) - 0 wins, 1 loss 75/85 N/A

Hawthorn's record at the MCG and York Park -
11 wins, 3 losses 1536/904 (169.11%)
Hawthorn's record away from MCG / York Park - 7 wins, 3 losses 1216/868 (140%)

Of Hawthorn's 11 games away from the MCG / York Park...

Docklands (159sqm x 128.5sqm) - 3 wins, 1 loss 521/282 (184%)
Subiaco (175sqm x 122sqm) - 2 wins, 1 loss 246/237 (103.7%)
Adelaide Oval (167sqm x 124sqm) - 1 win, 1 loss 205/184 (111.4%)
ANZ Stadium (170sqm x 128sqm) - 1 win, 0 losses 146/57 N/A
Showgrounds (160sqm x 134sqm) - 0 wins, 1 loss 98/108

That's not to say West Coast can't and won't adapt to the wide expanses of the MCG, on paper they have the ruck division and forward line to expose Hawthorn if they opt for a shootout.

The width of the ground is the major reason why Hawthorn exposes Fremantle time and again at the MCG / York Park however West Coast have the firepower to match Hawthorn if the game opens up anyway...

Its a bit ironic that the non Victorian clubs complain about York Park (175sqm x 145sqm) when it is the closest venue the AFL has to the MCG (171sqm x 146sqm) in terms of size and dimensions.

It's also a major reason why Hawthorn's agreement with Tasmania has worked so well for the club given they typically play anywhere from 70% to 80% of their Victorian fixtures at the MCG...it basically means the club has anywhere from 70% to 80% of their home and away games on a venue with the same dimensions as the MCG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He went in to experiment and failed? I don't think losing was on the agenda and they made some weird coaching moves. I don't think the team was on.

Bad day at the office which won't be repeated this Saturday.
Why do you think he experimented at all so close to the finals? I still say that he is standing by his statement before round 23 that he is not a fan of resting a team so close to the finals. After Saturday read into it what you like and see how bazaar it sounds then "deathy"!

Serious? Sitting on the wing I thought he was one of our best. Kicked 2 great goals from sloppy entries, tackled and cracked in like his life was on the line and unlike many of his teammates actually looked like he wanted to be out there.
Have to admit "SAL" you were closer to the action than I was.

They aren't having the grandfinal marathon here in brisbane on friday night, so we're simply going to watch every hawthorn premiership, the only club with more than 24 hours of premiership victory actually captured on film.
haha thanks i'm gonna use that when pies and other supporters list the 1800s in their permierships

I still reckon the Hawks tanked that game and is why they played so poorly, especially after Clarko stated to the media before round 23 that he is not a fan of rests/breaks close to the finals as a couple of other teams have, and are now interestingly out of the race! Firstly the Hawks are more matched hardened than W/C, and secondly, it can lapse the Weagles into a false sense of security with their self-satified looking coach geeing them along. There are a lot who do not agree with me I know, but I have been saying this for awhile no matter who at the time turns out to be our opponent.
Lol we did not tank that game.

Beaten by the better team on the night.

I hope this is the case, the only thing that would make that better (or worse) is if Clarko said mission accomplished after being beaten. #cheapshotagainstchrisscott :p

Another ex player (plough), coming out and gobbing off. Now apparently we get away with at least 15 kicks a week that travel under 15m and the umps must crack down on us. Guaranteed to hsve 25m passes called play on now. Thanks Terry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back